Optimus Prime

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Seat slammed is the only way.
The riding is more fun when you need to drop it, who cares what it looks like when it’s time to suffer?
Noice! I'm really interested in getting a ride report on this bike. Especially the wheels. The Nuetron hub shares the same pawl mechanism as the Spank Hex drive and Funn Fantom. The reports from overseas are positive and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than I9s.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Noice! I'm really interested in getting a ride report on this bike. Especially the wheels. The Nuetron hub shares the same pawl mechanism as the Spank Hex drive and Funn Fantom. The reports from overseas are positive and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than I9s.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I’ve had the neutrons for quite a while, they’re pretty good but I don’t have a lot of experience with other wheels to compare with, will let you know how they go on here though

Rorschach

Got out for an hour yesterday morning

Short story: Holy hell, couldn't wipe the smile off my face

Got out at the crack of dawn up to Kalamunda to do a fairly easy familiar loop to get a feel for the bike and wear everything in. Around 200m elevation, which is a good starting point.
Started out with a green to get across to the up, which undulates a bit, but drops down enough for me to get a feel for how the bike'll descend.
After that I went up to the top of Mt Gunjin, which I really hate and down via Muffin Tops and Horny Devil, two of my favourite trails.

Understanding that this is the first time I've ridden a dualie for more than 2 minutes, here are my comments:

The Set-up:
When I dropped it off on Wednesday, I had a chat to Phill about set-up and he suggested that we set it up fairly neutrally, and then we could tweak it when I take it in for a service - I get 2 free over the next 6 months - and he's offered to meet me on the trail with some of the other guys who ride Banshees here in Perth and tweak the suspension live.
The rear DPX2 is running ~240psi with no tokens (I forget what it is exactly, have it written down at home) and 80 in the Z2s with 3 tokens, as well as being up to 140mm from 120mm.
Other stuff is as per the OP

The Up:
This bike climbs as well as if not better than my hardtail. I didn't notice the extra weight at all. While this sounds counter-intuitive, a lot of the up is rooty and rocky crap and the hardtail didn't cope with it that well with the gearing or my set-up. Having the rear suspension helps to keep the bike grounded and allows me to keep traction heading up the hill. This meant I was in the saddle rather than out of the saddle on the hardtail
Having a 30t/50t granny gear really helped here too, especially coming from the previous almost 1:1 gear ratio I was working with...
One notable aspect was that the front end is a lot lighter than I am used to. This is good when trying to get up and over roots and rocks but going around switchbacks caught me out a few times heading up and I ran off the track and had to catch myself. Not an issue, just something to get used to.
I was also surprised to find this is the fastest I'd gotten up to the top of Gunjin, so stoked with that!

The Down:
Holy shit, this thing puts a smile on my face.
I was pretty tentative at first as the rear on my hardtail tended to skip around a bit, and not lend me much confidence to tip it in. This things is the complete opposite. Even heading down my first green, I could feel the suspension taking the edge off, and going round corners it hunkers down and corners like its on rails round the few berms there. I'd never understood that phrase before but I definitely do now. I could also feel the extra rear wheel stiffness coming to Boost from Boost QR. Less squirmy on the rear with the same wheels and tyres.
Coming down from the top of Mt Gunjin (after a 10 minute breather because I'm super unfit atm) I hit Goldilocks, Muffin Tops and Horny Devil, 3 trails I'm pretty familiar that would let me wind my way back the car.
I instantly felt comfortable at a higher speed, I had so much confidence in the bike even after riding it for such a short period of time, hitting rocks I'd normally slow down and tiptoe around.
I'm not big on the jumps either, tending to roll them rather than attack them. Not today - I hit them all and went looking for more. Anything I could get some air time on. This thing is so confidence inspiring.

It was only a short ride, but it put a real grin on my face, and really helped my headspace yesterday. It wasn't the quickest I've done this particular loop - that was May 2020 when I was doing a lot of riding on the trainer at home and was generally much fitter, but it was the most fun I've had on a bike. I'm hooked again.

Whats next?
At the minute, I'm just planning on riding it. I may roll the bars back a fraction, tweak the position of the dropper lever and bring the seatpost up slightly - my legs need to be a bit straighter but thats it. All the components are great too, I even found the screen on the shifter useful, so not rushing to change that out.
I don't have a benchmark to compare to, so I want to spend more time on it before I start playing with settings too much. The forks felt a little harsh so I may adjust the rebound a touch and see if that help. It's livable though.
Outside that, probably a few accessories I don't want to carry in my pack, pump and the like.

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ZTTO remote
How do you like the remote lever? I have looked at buying one as the ones that come on the Brand X droppers are crap, molded plastic that won't stay in place. The posts are fine and this is my third one. But what do you think of the ZTTO? Thanks in advance.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
So glad to hear it's finally arrived and you love it. I still think raw is the only colour option for Banshee - they do it so well and its suits their designs. Bike looks great. This is my favourite part of you review:
It wasn't the quickest I've done this particular loop... but it was the most fun I've had on a bike.
Hope you continue to have a ball on it.

Rorschach

How do you like the remote lever? I have looked at buying one as the ones that come on the Brand X droppers are crap, molded plastic that won't stay in place. The posts are fine and this is my third one. But what do you think of the ZTTO? Thanks in advance.
I had a Bontrager one that came with the post which would have been similar, and this is a definite step-up. Its basically a copy of the Wolftooth one, and works well. Lever feel and engagement is positive and at $25 worth a go. Only regret is that I got a red one and not a blue one for matchy, but I swapped the pivot (?) for the black one
The one I have is this one

So glad to hear it's finally arrived and you love it. I still think raw is the only colour option for Banshee - they do it so well and its suits their designs. Bike looks great. This is my favourite part of you review:

Hope you continue to have a ball on it.
Seriously, from the first time I swung a leg over it I was smiling, and I knew it was something special.

And while I was set on the black one initially, from the moment I saw the raw one I couldn't stop looking at it, it is stunning. I'm really happy with how it turned out too - I was worried the blue would be too much but I think it works.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, from the first time I swung a leg over it I was smiling, and I knew it was something special.
Did you get the feeling that you were sitting in the bike more than perched on top? That was the best thing about my V2. Agree on the feeling of wanting to jump everything too, they seem to love it.
Glad you’re enjoying being a part of the Banshee family (raw Prime chapter ;))

Rorschach

Did you get the feeling that you were sitting in the bike more than perched on top? That was the best thing about my V2. Agree on the feeling of wanting to jump everything too, they seem to love it.
Glad you’re enjoying being a part of the Banshee family (raw Prime chapter ;))
Yeah, that’s the best way to describe it. Felt really intuitive to ride and I didn’t have to think about where to point it.

Rorschach

I suspect this is just me wanting something shiny to fill a void in my life, but I'm considering whether to move the Prime on and going to a trail hardtail instead, like a Paradox or maybe a Honzo or Stanton
A hardtail was what I wanted initially but the lead time for a Paradox was pretty long and I jumped on the full sus bandwagon and as much as I love the Prime, I keep thinking I'd've been happier on the Paradox considering I'm overbiked for the type of riding I'm doing, and I reckon a well sorted hardtail (read: Not a low level Trek) would work better
Am I being stupid?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I suspect this is just me wanting something shiny to fill a void in my life, but I'm considering whether to move the Prime on and going to a trail hardtail instead, like a Paradox or maybe a Honzo or Stanton
A hardtail was what I wanted initially but the lead time for a Paradox was pretty long and I jumped on the full sus bandwagon and as much as I love the Prime, I keep thinking I'd've been happier on the Paradox considering I'm overbiked for the type of riding I'm doing, and I reckon a well sorted hardtail (read: Not a low level Trek) would work better
Am I being stupid?
Insert @moorey meme...

You should def get a Paradox.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Am I being stupid?
I'm a litle tempted to sell my Cotic (Hardtail) and buy the Ripmo from here.
Am I being stupid too?

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I suspect this is just me wanting something shiny to fill a void in my life
Currently thinking the same... Although for me the shiny new thing is a formula mod coil. I find myself googling bikes/parts more when I ride less (and vice versa).

If you really wanted a hardtail from the beginning though, I don't think a Paradox will be a bad option. Certainly less maintenance and a bit lighter than the Prime.

Rorschach

Insert @moorey meme...

How’re you finding yours? I’m probably looking at something more like XC/Trail than Trail/AM I think

Currently thinking the same... Although for me the shiny new thing is a formula mod coil. I find myself googling bikes/parts more when I ride less (and vice versa).

If you really wanted a hardtail from the beginning though, I don't think a Paradox will be a bad option. Certainly less maintenance and a bit lighter than the Prime.
Yeah, my thoughts too. Will talk to the local dealer and see if he knows anyone who wants a secondhand Prime.
I still don’t know if it’s just me though

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Insert @moorey meme...

Can confirm..

Paradox is money well spent. If you know what you're getting into then it's really a great and capable ride. Not as easy to ride as FS but a lot more direct and less maintenance too.

They can be set up 120mm to 150mm travel apparently?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Can confirm..

Paradox is money well spent. If you know what you're getting into then it's really a great and capable ride. Not as easy to ride as FS but a lot more direct and less maintenance too.

They can be set up 120mm to 150mm travel apparently?
BB would be low as at 120mm no? @Tubbsy?