Olympics

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Na they had the triathlon on 7, the bball on mate and it was to be the mtb, but bball...tiiiiiimmmmmeeeee wasting and the gold was on the other one... although seriously the golf was on non stop for hours and hours.
I was watching MTB, then they cut to soccer which went for ages. I started channel surfing and found MTB on another 7 channel. Kept getting interrupted by other sports but at least the last 2 laps were uninterrupted.

I was the MTB at the Sydney Olympics. Just one lap under pace would have killed me let alone 6. These guys (and girls) are seriously fit.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing thats gets me, while I have nothing against golf (nothing for it either), I was channel surfing very few minutes since they said the mtb was "coming up on 7 mate" to check they hadn't screwed up. I was happily watching the triathlon, with swaps every few minutes... the triathlon was continuously being interrupted by crosses to other sports, OK. Seemed to the the same with the basketball...but the golf...did'n even seem to get ads, let along crosses to anything...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The thing thats gets me, while I have nothing against golf (nothing for it either), I was channel surfing very few minutes since they said the mtb was "coming up on 7 mate" to check they hadn't screwed up. I was happily watching the triathlon, with swaps every few minutes... the triathlon was continuously being interrupted by crosses to other sports, OK. Seemed to the the same with the basketball...but the golf...did'n even seem to get ads, let along crosses to anything...
Golf is in the Olympics? Hahaha! Thats lame.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
How much was spent to send 400+ athletes and support staff to the games? I heard it was $35M for the swimming team alone.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
How much was spent to send 400+ athletes and support staff to the games? I heard it was $35M for the swimming team alone.
I think that number for swimming is for the 4 years since london they got about 38m (a very small amount of which was probably spent at grassroots levels)

Beej1

I'm sure it's a staggeringly large amount compared to what the average Joe earns in a lifetime.

I'm guessing it's also possibly a drop in the ocean compared to other wasteful government endeavours on a similar time scale.

The part of me that competed in club athletics for most of my childhood/teens thinks it's worth spending the money to give those athletes who don't make tennis-like salaries a chance to experience something special and put their training to the ultimate test.

The part of me married to someone who works with mentally ill/abused/drug addicted members of the community and who's yearly budget is eclipsed by the cost of my office chair thinks the money spent on our Olympic campaigns could be better spent elsewhere.

Plus I'm un-patriotic and couldn't give a fuck how many medals we win compared to anyone else.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I agree with a lot of these comments, its a lot of money to invest and I'm not really seeing what the benefit to the rest of the country is.

I think the whole Olympic system needs a shake up, give it permanently to Greece and make it every 2 years instead of 4. Or even scrap the whole thing all together.

Personally I get more out of seeing someone win multiple world championships over a 4 year period than 1 person snagging a gold medal once every 4 years. Most of the time it all comes down to who was feeling their best on the day, I might have been interrupted during my pre race nervous dump and now I'm not at my optimal best. Life is ruined and now I'm too old to compete in another 4 years. Compared to some person who maybe wins 4 world champs in a row, that person has managed to be at their best 4 times, that aint no fluke.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Holy shit you people are really high maintenance when it comes to the Olympics.

I remember first coming over here in 2000 when the Olympics were in Sydney and the whole nation was partying like it was still 1999. You couldn't escape the enthusiastic -borderline fanatical - worship of the likes of Cathy Freeman, Ian Thorpe, Dinky-Di, True Blue Aussie Tatiana Grigorieva, Ginger bollocks in the pole jump, the Beach volleyball chicks, etc. etc. etc. It was a sea of green and gold. Every advert contained an Olypian - no matter how tenuous the connection between star and product - Cntz were shouting 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie' at all hours of the day and night. People were happy.

Since then the Australian athletes have lost the home-ground advantage they had in Sydney and have seen their budgets chipped away year after year. It's little wonder their performance started to drop off. What I do find surprising however is just how venomous the backlash turned out to be. Comments sections, pundits, folk down the pub etc all started sharpening their pitchforks about halfway thrugh London 2012 and there seems to be no sign of the mob abating.

How the hell do you expect kids to perform at their best when they get their training budgets eroded and are greeted with calls for even more funding to be stripped when they fail to live up to impossible expectations?

I like to contrast it with the UK where traditionally nobody gave a shit about how successful the athletes were. Golds were rare and to be celebrated but fuck it, you could be as inept as Eddie the Eagle Edwards and they'd still make a hero out of you. That level of actual support - coupled with an increase in funding- have meant that instead of peaking at London 2012, Team GB have gone on to claim 2nd in the Rio medal tally.

As for scrapping the Olympics in favour of World Championships? Thats a bit drastic. Just because you lot are having a shit time, doesn't mean other nations aren't!
Olympic Medals mean so much because they are won in front of an audience of billions. Even as a keen cyclist I can never be arsed trying to track down live streams of the everyday track world champs, BMX champs, XC World Cup etc but I will stay up till 4am on a nightly basis once every four years to watch the same riders compete at the Olympics.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Holy shit you people are really high maintenance when it comes to the Olympics.

I remember first coming over here in 2000 when the Olympics were in Sydney and the whole nation was partying like it was still 1999. You couldn't escape the enthusiastic -borderline fanatical - worship of the likes of Cathy Freeman, Ian Thorpe, Dinky-Di, True Blue Aussie Tatiana Grigorieva, Ginger bollocks in the pole jump, the Beach volleyball chicks, etc. etc. etc. It was a sea of green and gold. Every advert contained an Olypian - no matter how tenuous the connection between star and product - Cntz were shouting 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie' at all hours of the day and night. People were happy.

Since then the Australian athletes have lost the home-ground advantage they had in Sydney and have seen their budgets chipped away year after year. It's little wonder their performance started to drop off. What I do find surprising however is just how venomous the backlash turned out to be. Comments sections, pundits, folk down the pub etc all started sharpening their pitchforks about halfway thrugh London 2012 and there seems to be no sign of the mob abating.

How the hell do you expect kids to perform at their best when they get their training budgets eroded and are greeted with calls for even more funding to be stripped when they fail to live up to impossible expectations?

I like to contrast it with the UK where traditionally nobody gave a shit about how successful the athletes were. Golds were rare and to be celebrated but fuck it, you could be as inept as Eddie the Eagle Edwards and they'd still make a hero out of you. That level of actual support - coupled with an increase in funding- have meant that instead of peaking at London 2012, Team GB have gone on to claim 2nd in the Rio medal tally.

As for scrapping the Olympics in favour of World Championships? Thats a bit drastic. Just because you lot are having a shit time, doesn't mean other nations aren't!
Olympic Medals mean so much because they are won in front of an audience of billions. Even as a keen cyclist I can never be arsed trying to track down live streams of the everyday track world champs, BMX champs, XC World Cup etc but I will stay up till 4am on a nightly basis once every four years to watch the same riders compete at the Olympics.
I'd picked you as an independence voter. Looks like I was wrong.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Australian defence force budget for 2016/17 - $32.4B

Australian Olympic Funding: $340m / 4 years, or $85m per year. Why don't we increase this to $1b per year? I reckon that would be better value, and would make us look powerful very internationally. Nobody messed with the USSR when they were very dominant from 1956-1988.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I was simply asking what we spent to send athletes and support staff to Rio. I heard it was about $1 000 000 each competitor. Is that for 4 years or 2?

The businessman in me would query the return on that investment.

The nationalist in me would ask what is its worth to our Nationalist Pride- towards our social fabric? Can the social benefit be realised?

If we cant afford to spend what it takes to win the medals then perhaps we should drop our expectations. Go to the next one on the smell of an oily rag. Turn up in a hired bus and pitch some tents out the back. Better still- be blitted out to local Tokyo residents. Put all that money into education, health and social services and be the smartest, healthiest, happiest country on Earth. Then any medal would be a complete raw natural surprise- you bloody beauty

I watched heaps of the Games- always do. Love most sports at this level. I lied there- I don't like many sports- like golf, sailing, bowls, soccer, all motor sports, AFL and Tennis. I used to love Rugby until Saturday night.

I love the Paralympics- no hype just sheer guts and drive and truckloads of smiles.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can't ever resolve that high level sport funding is justified. I'd prefer that money completely go to grassroots. I stopped CA membership when they upped the fees and didn't do a whole lot more with their dosh. High level athletes should be bringing the bacon home to their grassroots, not grassroots supporting them to maybe get some kind of result.

The model is broken because it's a dependency on winning more medals to encourage more membership in the sport. You coudl easily do that by making it more inclusive, not obstructionist membership fees. MTBA in comparison is a much better deal than CA.

stirk

Burner
Sports equals healthier people who are involved in Sports which saves on healthcare down the track.

Alot of the money spent on Sport supports thousands of people's livelihoods so it's like social welfare with benefits.

The medal tally shit is just stupid and a big international pissing contest.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's done and dusted, time to lock the thread, so we can go back to worshiping drunken drug cheats on a domestic scale. It's almost September.

#knucklesisachunt

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sports equals healthier people who are involved in Sports which saves on healthcare down the track.

Alot of the money spent on Sport supports thousands of people's livelihoods so it's like social welfare with benefits.

The medal tally shit is just stupid and a big international pissing contest.
Probably better to spend the money on sports then...and make access to participation easier. Given our fat nation status surpasses our medal status, now is the time.

It's done and dusted, time to lock the thread, so we can go back to worshiping drunken drug cheats on a domestic scale. It's almost September.

#knucklesisachunt
Leave the rugby league out of this.