Olympics

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Might as well start something....

Top 3 Aussie male golfers not competing.
Appeals for a spot on the mountain bike team currently going on.

....and they dug up some body parts on the beach setting up the beach vollyball.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I actually have no issues with people refusing to go to this Olympics. normally I am all patriotic and gung ho ranting how could you not want to go. this is actually a scary Olympics. I feel sorry for the athletes that have busted a gut to be selected this time. I know one of the shooters that got selected and its interesting to see the mix of emotions he has after being selected.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I know one of the shooters that got selected and its interesting to see the mix of emotions he has after being selected.
Is he unsure of which gun to take to protect himself? :biggrin1:

When I was younger I was selected to a training squad for an National Basketball League team. It was the early stages of becoming a professional player and it went pear shaped for me when I destroyed my hand a few days later and had to have six surgeries...............dream over. :( Anyway, I spoke with some people who have since become pro's and the Olympic topic came up. I've always thought the Olympics is pretty lame and not the sporting arena that it's cracked up to be and a few other guys agree that they'd prefer to train hard all year long and achieve the goal of winning a national championship before bothering with any Olympic participation. For example, I'd rather win an NBA championship or a tennis grand slam or a world cup in XC than win an Olympic medal.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always thought the Olympics is pretty lame and not the sporting arena that it's cracked up to be and a few other guys agree that they'd prefer to train hard all year long and achieve the goal of winning a national championship before bothering with any Olympic participation. For example, I'd rather win an NBA championship or a tennis grand slam or a world cup in XC than win an Olympic medal.
This is how I feel. However, I may take a little more notice of the next olympics (when is it?), as I think there may be a few interesting stories come out of it's belly.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
...normally I am all patriotic and gung ho ranting how could you not want to go. this is actually a scary Olympics...
Same here. While I cant say I'm particularly well informed, it isn't so much the ZIKA virus that concerns me so much as the civil unrest, kidnapping/ransoms, corruption, and general pollution. Imagine having to do a triathlon in water body full of floating/rotting corpses, going for a training ride and being kidnapped (which has already happened btw!), etc. F THAT!

That said, I do think the Olympics mean more to certain sports. MTB / Road Racing perhaps not up there with the likes of World Cups/Champs and TDF, but if I was a gymnast or a swimmer or a track/field athlete - Olympics would the ULTIMATE goal...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Same here. While I cant say I'm particularly well informed, it isn't so much the ZIKA virus that concerns me so much as the civil unrest, kidnapping/ransoms, corruption, and general pollution. Imagine having to do a triathlon in water body full of floating/rotting corpses, going for a training ride and being kidnapped (which has already happened btw!), etc. F THAT!

That said, I do think the Olympics mean more to certain sports. MTB / Road Racing perhaps not up there with the likes of World Cups/Champs and TDF, but if I was a gymnast or a swimmer or a track/field athlete - Olympics would the ULTIMATE goal...
The triathlon swimming is a good point, sounds bloody dicey!

I do respect that point of the gymnast's, that would be the goal for them.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i understand the olymic committy guys giving the olympics to other countries, I guess the whole point is fairness and not just giving it to rich ass countries...but really why give it to countries that can't afford it and have big issues. I can see these games having some major disaster (kidnappings and deaths etc of spectators or athletes).
It just cost So much... things like the opening/closing ceremonies...they are just lain stupid. And all the new facilities they build, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

But anyway, Ill watch the mtb and the marathon and road race, all the rest, nope.

stirk

Burner
This is how I feel. However, I may take a little more notice of the next olympics (when is it?), as I think there may be a few interesting stories come out of it's belly.
The part of your brain used to compete in sports is small, it will be ok ;)

Our whinging tennis brats don't want to go cause their brains are small enough already.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The Olympics is supposed to be a giant celebration of the world and one that is supposed to give the opportunity for citizens of lesser-known nations to shine on the world stage (Cameroon's Eric the Eel for instance). The fact is a great deal of the athletes competing have to live and train in conditions like that of Rio every day. With that in mind, overpaid pampered soft-cock Western athletes (particularly fucking golfers) can fuck off!

pansies...

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The Olympics is just a distraction, an entertainment. The day after it closes, the vast majority of Brazilians will be no better off, in fact the people of Brazil will be paying for the Olympics for years to come. The IOC is a business, rotten to the core, just like FIFA for soccer, and the UCI.

Worth noting that the Bread part is no longer free, as in Roman times, and the Diversions are increasingly on Pay TV

http://www.capitolium.org/eng/imperatori/circenses.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-astore/bread-and-circuses-in-rom_b_3414248.html

https://www.greennet.org.uk/communi...g-corruption-and-manipulation-andrew-jennings

You wouldn't urinate on these IOC people if they were on fire.

John U

MTB Precision
The Olympics is just a distraction, an entertainment. The day after it closes, the vast majority of Brazilians will be no better off, in fact the people of Brazil will be paying for the Olympics for years to come. The IOC is a business, rotten to the core, just like FIFA for soccer, and the UCI.

Worth noting that the Bread part is no longer free, as in Roman times, and the Diversions are increasingly on Pay TV

http://www.capitolium.org/eng/imperatori/circenses.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-astore/bread-and-circuses-in-rom_b_3414248.html

https://www.greennet.org.uk/communi...g-corruption-and-manipulation-andrew-jennings

You wouldn't urinate on these IOC people if they were on fire.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. It is money making machine corrupt to the core. And why should countries have build billions of dollars worth of infrastructure to be in the running to host them? This needs to be reduced to give more countries the option of hosting.
I was a spectator at a few events in Sydney and the elation of the winning athletes was great to watch. The whole thing needs to be more about the sport and less about the dollars. You don't need a brand new billion dollar stadium to run a 100m race. The IOC is gradually fucking itself with its current approach.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
i understand the olymic committy guys giving the olympics to other countries, I guess the whole point is fairness and not just giving it to rich ass countries...but really why give it to countries that can't afford it and have big issues. I can see these games having some major disaster (kidnappings and deaths etc of spectators or athletes).
It just cost So much... things like the opening/closing ceremonies...they are just lain stupid. And all the new facilities they build, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

But anyway, Ill watch the mtb and the marathon and road race, all the rest, nope.
well, at least Venezuela isn't hosting it i guess.

On the topic of the olympics, I don't really watch it, but I may watch a bit of the taekwondo if i see it and its on at a reasonalbe time.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bloody hell, I saw a report on the water condition that people have to swim in over there, it's terrible! I'd say the eventual winner of these events will be whoever grows the third arm the quickest.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A mate, who usually does MENA security gigs, is running some private security in Rio, can't wait to hear the stories.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Bloody hell, I saw a report on the water condition that people have to swim in over there, it's terrible! I'd say the eventual winner of these events will be whoever grows the third arm the quickest.
There might be some cool mutations in the offspring if the swimmers have children. (allegedly)