Ok, I've got a map of Tassy, now what?

black rider

Likes Dirt
(Juvenile, I know...:D)

Well, I'm going to Tas in a few weeks, just because, and I'm wondering what people would recommend doing and seeing whilst I'm there.

So far my plans involve flying into Hobart ----> do stuff ----> fly out of Hobart 2 weeks later.

Basically what I want to do is backpack / camp / hike / photo - the usual nature based stuff. Hiring a car is an option, but I'd like to avoid it as much as possible. But hey, I'm really just after suggestions, I'll figure out how to get there myself.

I'm thinking of a few things like Tarkine, Cradle Mountain, Overland track...

Any advice?

Thanks.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Thats a damn good start. Tarkine! I'm jealous. What about Walls of Jerusalem N.P? Overland Track is amazing, but probably much more crowded now. Still worth every step!

cobba

Likes Dirt
It's not what you'd call the best time of the year to go bushwalking and camping up in the mountains with all the snow, rain, wind and freezing cold temperatures at the moment. You might be better off sticking near the coast with your travels.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Last time I went, we spent a good three weeks down their just touring around. An ideal way to do it would be to hire a 4WD camper and roll that way. Means you have access to some of the more remote regions, your not dictated to by buses and the likes, and you carry all you need with you. Two weeks isnt much and the following is what we managed in 3.

If your a bit of a nature based person (like myself), Tassie is mecca for you (short of NZ)

We did a bit of the Overland track, in and around both St Clair and Cradle Mountain, but decided against doing the entire thing because it was very miserable weather, and much of our gear had had a proper thrashing from all the other hikes on the trip. Not as picturesque as I had imagined but blue skys would make that walk epic.
Freycinet was like walking the Prom. Stunning views and relativly easy hiking. My boots carked it down there but camping at Cookes Bay on the penninsula, and skimming rocks over Stingrays was something else! If your into snapping photos, definatly venture to the Western Tiers and the Walls of Jerusalem. Hiking in is fairly easy though its pretty much all up untill you get within the walls itself (kinda like a plateau). From there, base yourself at the far end (towards Solomons Temple) and spend a bit of time going up and down the slopes. Provided you have a nice clear day, it will provide you with some stunning views. Probably my highlight by far. If you plan to do the trek in a day, base yourself in Delorine which is pretty close by and drive to the park which is probably an hour away. Delorine was beautiful and in the council caravan park, your situated right on the river. At dusk, you might even spot a platypus!

Didnt venture very far into the South West...I would love to hit up Fed Peak one day...but its a pretty techhy climb I hear. If you have the means to, definatly check out the wilderness but like I said, I didnt really see much down there so I cant really comment.

Touristy attractions-Port Arthur and the Tahune Air Walk get my vote there.

We started at Devonport and essentially worked anti-clockwise around...

As said, its pretty wet now. We did it Dec-Jan (peak time for Overland...)

Hope that helps dude...

Macr

Likes Dirt
Is the second picture of the boat shed at Cradle?
I did the overland track in August of '94 with a bushwalking club. We were trying to figure out if we needed snow shoes. On the whole walk we found a 1.5m diameter bit of snow. But some people go in summer and get snowed in. So what I will say is be prepared for anything. Oh and enjoy.

copps

Likes Bikes
Mate the bush down there is amazing. I spent the first twenty years of my life camping and bushwalking all over the joint and can't reccomend it highly enough. But....... If you are thinking of going walking for real (ie: overnight or longer) then ensure you have all the right gear and that you know what you are doing. Don't mean to sound condecending, and if you are a really experienced bushwalker then please forgive me, but the weather in the central highlands is renouned for changing at the drop of a hat, and "mainlanders" frequently wander off tracks, get lost, get hurt, get hypothermia etc... Good maps, proper boots/clothing/wet weathers including spares, compass, fuel stove, water, food, tent, whistle and these days maybe even an epirb are all neccessities in my book. And please don't go out alone. Obviously all that is massive overkill if you just want to do the small stuff, but really important for any walk worth while. "Take only photos and leave only footprints". If going out overnight anywhere do not rely on the huts having a bed for you either....

Climbs down off soap box.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking of a few things like Tarkine, Cradle Mountain, Overland track...

Any advice?
Maybe stop talking about the "Tarkine". Its the Arthur Pieman Conservation Area of which only a small proportion is rainforest as such, despite popular depictions in the media. ;)

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
im not saying you don't understand it, but some of the immature farkin members may not..... witch there is A LOT of

i don't mean immature in a bad way, i mean it literaly

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
im not saying you don't understand it, but some of the immature farkin members may not..... witch there is A LOT of

i don't mean immature in a bad way, i mean it literaly
Again, what Macr is saying is that the contributors of the thread are beyond that. Still clever but.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
don't go, srsly.
The best thing about it is whatever you do these types aren't there. If it's pristine, uncrowded/untouched, unique, sheltered(from manic progress), unspoilt you're after, head to Tassie. Spent the first 25 years of my life there and it's beautiful, down to earth and uncompromised. I'd also recommend a vehicle, in 2 weeks you could get around the west coast, northern half of east coast and some south (Bruny is worhth a look) and see a great variety of landscapes. Highlands will be freezing and super harsh, been snowing in Hobart last few bays!! Whatever, go for a look. If you never go,...

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
Maybe stop talking about the "Tarkine". Its the Arthur Pieman Conservation Area of which only a small proportion is rainforest as such, despite popular depictions in the media. ;)
Hate to correct you there, but even Forestry Tasmania recognises the "Tarkine" as an area - they even recognise that it doesn't just extend to the Arthur Pieman, but further east to include the Savage River pipeline corridor. And a large proportion of the forest along the pipeline corridor is temperate rainforest - one of the larges continuous areas of temperate rainforest in the world.

mtbbrew

Squid
I would recommend go to Port Arthur Historical site and check out there, its pretty sweet, i live in Tassie and been there countless times and always find something new. And is always sweet as if you go on the tours, and find out some pretty interesting info about it.
And i highly recommenced the Mussel Boys Resturaunt In Tarrana, Just before Port Arthur. My cousin own it and is Amazing food, mainly seafood, but you should try the 7 course menu, sooo good.

Hope this helps you in someway dude

hazza37

Likes Bikes
i used to live in tassie... i would recommend wineglass bay at fracinate (sp?).
it is a beautiful beach with a nice walk.