Newly Released Bikes General

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell you another good one, #1 son changing gears, standing up, cranking and accelerating, clunk-clunk-clunk :mad:

Shouted at him numerous times, telling him he was destroying the cassette and chain. Explained the old saying of 'Change gears like your cassette teeth were made of glass' with no avail.

Cassette fucked, lost a gravity enduro because of it. Gets a $250 cassette as part of his chrissy presents last year... hasnt shifted under load since.

They have had many warnings in the last year, I will not pay or replace parts for laziness, show off's or percieved cool shit that wears out a bike or parts.

This laziness specifically is about not pumping up tyres before every ride, then denting alu or smashing carbon rims.

Like your kid doing a burnout to show off then coming with his hand out for new tyres.

I think they are starting to get it :D
We are running the same strategy. I have a spreadsheet of costs and break it down into the number of 'slave hours' I have banked up.
Mine is recovering from a broken shoulder at the moment as a result of showing off, now the agreement is that if he further injures himself while riding in the recovery period he forfeits the ownership of his bike to me.
We all complain about the costs but I would rather they were outside doing something than playing computer games.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We are running the same strategy. I have a spreadsheet of costs and break it down into the number of 'slave hours' I have banked up.
Mine is recovering from a broken shoulder at the moment as a result of showing off, now the agreement is that if he further injures himself while riding in the recovery period he forfeits the ownership of his bike to me.
We all complain about the costs but I would rather they were outside doing something than playing computer games.
Forfeits the bike and you then lease it back to him over a 2 year term. Smart play, he learns a lesson and you get your coins. ;^)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
For the full experience come to my joint.

1 Asperger teen, 1 Anger Management issues pre-teen, 1 Sensory Input Seeker 9yo with a stubborn streak.

Send to school for a day, blend in a very small house, insert ear plugs, start drinking.

(but we have friends who are way worse off than us, so I'm not complaining)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm still waiting for some paternal breeding instincts to kick in. I think it'd be nice sometimes, then I remember how much of a **** I was as a teenager and the thought of trying to parent that is enough.

Plus the bullying kids face, I was lucky it was only during school hours. With social media you can have that round the clock now.

Back on topic: new Alchemy Arktos. Looks kinda like the old one but isn't. Now capable of running either wheel size and with some pretty modular travel adjustment from 120 - 150mm.

PJO

in me vL comy
I'm still waiting for some paternal breeding instincts to kick in. I think it'd be nice sometimes, then I remember how much of a **** I was as a teenager and the thought of trying to parent that is enough.

Plus the bullying kids face, I was lucky it was only during school hours. With social media you can have that round the clock now.

Back on topic: new Alchemy Arktos. Looks kinda like the old one but isn't. Now capable of running either wheel size and with some pretty modular travel adjustment from 120 - 150mm.
Looks fantastically versatile, but there is something funny about the geo numbers. How can you have the same bb drop (relative to frame) and bb height (relative to ground) when you swap between wheel sizes. The head and seat angles change but the bb numbers don't? Also reach and stack should change. They only change the shock extender to go between Enduro and Trail/XC don't talk about wheel specific extenders.
Unless there is some magic going on here that i'm missing...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
For the full experience come to my joint.

1 Asperger teen, 1 Anger Management issues pre-teen, 1 Sensory Input Seeker 9yo with a stubborn streak.

Send to school for a day, blend in a very small house, insert ear plugs, start drinking.

(but we have friends who are way worse off than us, so I'm not complaining)
Hence the long rides in the countryside!

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Yeah probably why I fold easily.

They both do a bit of gaming, #2 son is 1 day into a 2 week ban for playing games at the weekend and failing to do a school assignment due Monday morning.

Keyboard and mouse stripped out, that will be 2 weeks without parole.
You're ruining his pro gaming career!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Review of the new Instinct
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-2021-rocky-mountain-instinct.html

Crazy price tag, and based on my experiences so far with the Altitude, I'd say you're better off getting the Altitude putting in its steepest setting and running a lighter tyre. It should work as an 'aggressive trail bike' but you still have the enduro option if you want it
Pretty damning review when the take-away is that a direct to consumer house brand bike from Chainreaction is more impressive and half the price.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I quite like the RM Ride 9 idea, along with the adjustable chainstay but the spec and price are madness. Like the product marketing manager took a long draw on a spliff during the spec process and thought "it'll be fine..."

Too many decent bikes at better prices to walk past them and buy this in my view.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I like RMs too, and can usually defend fairly loopy pricing given all the behind the scenes / R&D that goes into a new bike, but that's garbage. They would be saving big coin sharing the same frame (that's approx. $US1m in savings for 4 x different sized carbon frame mouldings alone given they're using the Altitude ones). That plus the spec ($12k bikes with DT370 hubs wtf) suggests not so much spliff as glass pipe. Which they should put down. Then remove some zeros from the pricing.

I suspect a few product managers are very confident they're going to sell everything they can make in the coming months, hence the batshit RRP.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Mixed feelings on the new Instinct. My primary response is that it's really incremental evolution rather than revolution over the previous one which makes me happy because I don't feel like my bike has been superseded. On the other hand, with the Altitude becoming 29" only and the Thunderbolt getting absorbed into the Instinct, I feel like they missed an opportunity to take the Stumpy approach and actually pare back the Instinct.

The Kazimer review is funny because his first gripe is that this trail bike rides like a trail bike not a mini-enduro bike... Take that with a pinch of salt but maybe if they'd kept it at 140/140 or even dropped it to 130/140 they could have injected it with more of the poppy play-bike vibes of the Thunderbolt and given it a lighter spec to make it more distinct from the Altitude...

Also yeah the pricing is ridiculous. They've always been overpriced relative to spec but this is just silly.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Pretty damning review when the take-away is that a direct to consumer house brand bike from Chainreaction is more impressive and half the price.
I really can't see why you would go for one of these over a Nukeproof reactor or a Ripmo af. You would get a better spec and probably better performance for less money which you could put towards coaching.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk