narrow wide long term reviews (please) for 1x10

brad353

Likes Dirt
my "argument"? dude, who's arguing? settle down bud

edit: check out my original post in this thread and tell me if you think i'm trying to start an argument. hope is a great company and i never bagged them once. i've met the owners and engineers and they are awesome. geez! can't even say anything on this site without getting sand bagged

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
my "argument"? dude, who's arguing? settle down bud

edit: check out my original post in this thread and tell me if you think i'm trying to start an argument. hope is a great company and i never bagged them once. i've met the owners and engineers and they are awesome. geez! can't even say anything on this site without getting sand bagged
Bahaha. Overreact much?
I never said you bagged anyone, but you, being Canadian, (as is raceface, the biggest seller of NW rings, regardless of there they are made), wanted to promote the blackspire ring, being made in house, unlike all the others being made in Japan and Taiwan..except that most aren't.

'Arguement' doesn't have to mean fight. image.jpg

Chill, my good man. All is ok

Daisy

Likes Dirt
fire eye

Anyone used fire eye?
Can't seem to find many threads on this brand.
Maybe they are new to market ?

needaride

Likes Dirt
wow i'm really surprised that blackspire hasn't been mentioned much in this thread. they're one of the few brands that actually make their own products in house (Vancouver, BC) as opposed to outsourcing the work to taiwan, and they've been in business for longer than any of their competitors (25+ years). just sayin'....
+1 for Blackspire, running the 32T monovelcoe on my reign & superfly. Both running sweet. Have run the raceface ones, they're ok but the Blackspire definitely has a more square tooth profile.

brad353

Likes Dirt
you're a douche bag moorey. i'm aussie by the way. have fun being creative in your comeback and thinking you're the king of the internet forums, i'll be out riding my bike.

moorey

call me Mia
you're a douche bag moorey. i'm aussie by the way. have fun being creative in your comeback and thinking you're the king of the internet forums, i'll be out riding my bike.
Hehe. You win. I can ride and douche, thankyou. Don't hate me just because I'm right though. :kiss:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Not much to beat in the creativity stakes.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
I gots me a Blackspire MonoVeloce WP 34 tooth ring. Been on there for well over a year, and it's had a hard life. Downhill, Enduro, XC, street, everything. It's on a Trance SX Advanced, and ridden hard, raced, rallied, rolled, ridden without clutch, worn out chain, snapped a dérailleur with it, hit a 40 footer no freaking worries, and to this day the chain has NEVER EVER come off. Beautiful piece of work, it's seen thousands of kilometres in multiple states and some pretty harsh riding in its time and has still got yonks left in it. 10/10, looks the goods too. Can't recommend highly enough.

Zee cranks, KMC X10SL chain, XT 11-36 Cassette, XT Shadow + mid cage dérailleur.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
didn't know this so post for others.

so Medium vs Long Cage for my 1x10 11-42.

---

Yes, your Long cage mech will work fine; you should even be able to drop down to a Medium cage if running a 1x10 setup. As with any cassette you need to check that your rear derailleur has enough capacity.

Rear derailleur capacity = (largest rear cog – smallest rear cog) + (largest front chainring – smallest front chain ring)
1. For someone running a 1X system with a 32T front chainring and an 11-42T rear cassette: (42-11)+(32-32)=31T capacity
2. For someone running a 2X system with 40/28 front chainrings and an 11-42T rear cassette: (42-11)+(40-28)=43T capacity

Medium cage deraileurs can typically handle 37T (Shimano) 39T (SRAM) and long cage rear derailleurs can handle 43T (Shimano) or 45T (SRAM).

struggles

Likes Dirt
I have done 5000kms on a Race Face 36t with a Zee rear mech.

Never dropped a chain in all sorts of riding. I never clean it either so maybe all the dirt is keping it on

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1x10 conversion from 3x10.

Gains, some weight loss, simplicity of shift operation, quick snap into 42 on steep climb vs dropping to granny then shifting down so not spinning madly. No risk of chain drop shifting to granny under pressure.

Losses: big ring up front for pumping descents, will now spin out at 40 kph vs around 55-60 kph with triple - , no granny help when legs are truly stuffed.

Why he no go 1x11? weight of 1x11 vs 11-36 XT cassette, my training bike is 1x10 so I always recycle parts down to that, 1x11 got tricky cost wise, new cranks? Or a 1x11 after market ring with 1x11 cassette, then I would need new 1x11 shifter - which would mean the training bike would need new shifter as well, ,

How's it ride so far? I already know from training bike how 34- into 11 feels, its fine for 99% of mtbing, climbing with 42-34 is the main question .... so far the mega steep climbs I've tried it out on are fine, not a bad gear to maintain good cadence on 15%-20%. If you're a new rider and you don't have either the endurance or strength on climbs then the 42 might tip you over the edge fatigue wise. The granny has its merits to bring you home without walking the climbs.

Set up Tips: will need narrower chain ring bolts - lock tight them in, preset B screw (had to screw nearly all the way in) & low/high screws before putting on chain, if using clutch on rear derailleur, shifting is pretty stiff - haven't 'dropped chain yet' (with clutch off!) get new chain sizing right as you would normally.

Chain Line?: hmmm if I run a straight edge from front ring to rear it ends up around middle of rear cassette, so that's where most of your riding is? either side of middle cassette. Wait and see if there's rapid wear on front ring/chain.

Chain Slap? on rocky descents didn't expect it to be so quiet so far.

Bling,
42 tooth looks nasty on rear. yells bang me on and climb stuff dude.

Wolf Ring 34 up front

34_front_ringrz.jpg

Wolf Ring 42 rear (11-36 XT) (removed, 15T)
cassette11-42rz.jpg

+ Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech & New XT chain
1x10_drive_trainrz.jpg

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
I have a Blackspire Snaggletooth 30t with a 36-11 cassette and it is excellent. This is on a Trance 29er with m785 running gear.

Had a 40t extender and a 32t chainring and it was terrible. Shifting was bad and the 17t gap was extremely noticeable. The 32/40 was too short so the 30/36 has helped that. I can still easily spin over 35kph which in my riding is plenty.