narrow wide long term reviews (please) for 1x10

redline316

Likes Dirt
I ran a wolftooth for 2 yrs never dropped a chain and for the last 10 mths been running the fouriers without any issues.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Seems to be wearing fine. All dry weather riding though.
For the money I think they serve their purpose well. I don't notice it's there, which is a good thing! Have dropped the chain twice with a guide from riding some really rough sections quickly.

Not a fan of the graphics however.

moorey

call me Mia
Not a fan of the graphics however.
Your first mistake, buying hope (love everything else they do). My absolute black and works ring have nothing on them whatsoever. The wolf tooth is discreetly stamped with brand and ring size in tiny letters.
Absolute Black: (purdy)
image.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
AdvAntage of the raceface in 32 and up, is they are made to reverse so when it wears you just flip it over and start again

moorey

call me Mia
AdvAntage of the raceface in 32 and up, is they are made to reverse so when it wears you just flip it over and start again
Are they as God aweful looking both sides? Give me a perfect chain line of a DM any day. A couple of mine have done many 1000's of km's and aren't looking like stopping.

static_X3

Likes Dirt
Used:
wolf tooth 2.5 years. Dropped 2 times total.
Works components 2.5 years. No drops
Absolute black 1 month. No drops yet, very nice ring.

The above have been ridden on a lot of very rocky trails, including Mt Buller (racing and riding), and You Yangs. Have never used a guide, and never will.
You yangs is rocky? If by rocky you mean nice smooth giant boulders. Come ride eagle in adelaide, the whole place is a rock garden :)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are they as God aweful looking both sides? Give me a perfect chain line of a DM any day. A couple of mine have done many 1000's of km's and aren't looking like stopping.
You're married aren't you?

So you already know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Are they as God aweful looking both sides?
One side has obnoxious graphics, the other has a more minimal approach.

As for the topic of the thread, I've used RaceFace and Blackspire... both were fine.
Dropped on the RaceFace once when backpedalling over rough when I forgot to put the derailleur clutch on... but that was a user error, not likely the ring's fault.

Got another RF on the new bike, but will probably grab a black Hope ring when I bump it up to 34t before summer.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Daisy, I have a raceface, don't be put off by the teeth they 'bite' the chain just fine, only drop I've had was from laying the bike down on a rock which knocked the chain off.

I ride rain hail or shine and wear is minimal. I hose the bike down after almost every ride.

Graphics are all a blur when riding.

Who sits and stares at the graphics or lack of them on their ring?

moorey

call me Mia
Graphics are all a blur when riding.

Who sits and stares at the graphics or lack of them on their ring?
Ride....ing? :noidea:
That will dirty the bike. No one likes looking at, or photographing a dirty bike. :hand:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are you saying my wife if ugly? I'll have you. :rant:
No, I'm saying you have a big nose. ( insert witty emoji here)

I did think no one actually gave a shit about what front ring you have until yesterday when someone asked me what mine was, when I said an xx1 - he said "not it isn't", I said "Yes it is", he said, "no it isn't, I've got one and it doesn't look anything like that"

So maybe some weirdos really are taken by the front ring and its aesthetics.

Btw, I replied that my front ring was flipped and simply provided a further perspective that you hadn't previously appreciated

Last edited:

static_X3

Likes Dirt
I like my obnoxious graphics :) its the only thing thats obnoxious on my otherwise introverted Honzo tho so it stands out like buggery lol

moorey

call me Mia
No, I'm saying you have a big nose. ( insert witty emoji here)

I did think no one actually gave a shit about what front ring you have until yesterday when someone asked me what mine was, when I said an xx1 - he said "not it isn't", I said "Yes it is", he said, "no it isn't, I've got one and it doesn't look anything like that"

So maybe some weirdos really are taken by the front ring and its aesthetics.

Btw, I replied that my front ring was flipped and simply provided a further perspective that you hadn't previously appreciated
She's not ugly. I'll have you!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Used 1x rings from Wolftooth, Race Face, Hope and SRAM. I would happily buy any of these again with the notable exception of the SRAM rings (because they appear to be made of cheese).

Would like to try Works and Absolute Black rings but have yet to kill what I have...

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Praxis

Time for new drivetrain & I'm going 1x10.
Just ordered a 42t & 16t from Wolftooth, plus Rad cage from OneUp. Already have new: xt shawdow+ med cage RD, xt chain & xt 11-36 cassette.
Just need to decide on which 32t narrow wide to get.
Can't find much info on how the different brands of narrow wides wear. I understand it depends on riding conditions (wet/dry, sand, etc) but thought I'd get some personal experiences from fellow Rotorburners.
Lots of people seem to have RaceFace, but I'd prefer a chainring with taller teeth (from research I've done).
Have my eye on Hope, as the teeth are taller & this is meant to aid with chain retention.

Thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Daisy

I am on a PRaxis 32T NW. Generally awesome, has stood up well to sandy NSW treatment. It doesn't very much like being paired with a KMC-X10SL chain though, the chain plates are noisy against the teeth, at least with my chainline.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone run one with an X9 Type 2 rear mech? The clutch does not seem too flash. My chain slaps a shitload, while my mates with XTs are relatively silent.
I am tempted, but do not want to make the swap if I still end up running a chainguide.