narrow wide long term reviews (please) for 1x10

Daisy

Likes Dirt
Time for new drivetrain & I'm going 1x10.
Just ordered a 42t & 16t from Wolftooth, plus Rad cage from OneUp. Already have new: xt shawdow+ med cage RD, xt chain & xt 11-36 cassette.
Just need to decide on which 32t narrow wide to get.
Can't find much info on how the different brands of narrow wides wear. I understand it depends on riding conditions (wet/dry, sand, etc) but thought I'd get some personal experiences from fellow Rotorburners.
Lots of people seem to have RaceFace, but I'd prefer a chainring with taller teeth (from research I've done).
Have my eye on Hope, as the teeth are taller & this is meant to aid with chain retention.

Thoughts/comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Daisy

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Have used Works Components, Raceface and Fouriers. Never dropped off any of them.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have sram, race face and WT

wear:

sram = shit

WT = awesome

haven't done enough km's on the race face

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I have sram, race face and WT

wear:

sram = shit

WT = awesome

haven't done enough km's on the race face
I've had 2x raceface, 2x works and a SRAM.
Haven't had a problem with any of them to be honest. If I were to choose between them I would take the Works rings. Better wearing than SRAM and deeper teeth than RF.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Have a fetha Customs 34, have dropped a bunch of times but only during races. Note - no chain retention and non-clutched derailleur.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Works on the xc bike, easy 1000+ km, zero drops and sweet fa wear (the ano has worn a little)

Got a raceface on the am bike now but I havnt taken it out yet because its cold and wet and I'm delicate :p

Highly recommend the nw thing, still pretty sure its all hocus pocus, but the magic works

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running a Wolftooth on my XC bike.
Very little wear and only one dropped chain in over 1 year. It is running without a clutched rear mech too.

Got a Race Face on my FS rig + clutch rear mech. No / little wear in 8 months.
Not one dropped chain either.

Happy with both and would recommend them equally.

moorey

call me Mia
Used:
wolf tooth 2.5 years. Dropped 2 times total.
Works components 2.5 years. No drops
Absolute black 1 month. No drops yet, very nice ring.

The above have been ridden on a lot of very rocky trails, including Mt Buller (racing and riding), and You Yangs. Have never used a guide, and never will.

Minlak

custom titis
Works components from Rod (no skid marks) at Crankin Imports. Love them only use them now seem to last very well. In fact about to order a 28t again as soon as my tax lands.

stoo

Likes Dirt
I've had five works rings on different bikes, only dropped a chain when a stick has been caught under the chain. Even when getting a bit worn after a couple o years they still do the job. Now running a Hope on the Rune, same same.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Absolute Black here... two of them, one oval. No drops.

That said, I wasn't dropping chains with normal rings.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolute Black here... two of them, one oval. No drops.

That said, I wasn't dropping chains with normal rings.
are the rings on different bikes?

how does it feel riding one bike with and oval and the other a normal ring?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have used a Race Face and Wolf Tooth for over a year and have only dropped a chain due to a stick getting in between the chain and the ring. I use to drop chains on the AM bike on rough descents when I was running 3x so the 1x has been a big improvement.

For shortish rides the 1x is perfect, but for longer distance rides I start to miss some gears. I do stand and pedal more, so it has changed my riding style a bit. Clearance over things that would normally hit a big ring is also a big improvement and this is noticed more on the Fat bike that is harder to hop over stuff.

I finished my ride yesterday and realised the clutch was off on the RD for the most part of the ride, due to another stick. I did not noticed any difference with the clutch being on or off so I think the ring does the bulk of the work keeping the chain secure.

I am keen to try those new oval rings after reading this http://fatbikerepublic.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/wolftooth-elliptical-fad-or-fabulous.html

Warp

Likes Dirt
are the rings on different bikes?

how does it feel riding one bike with and oval and the other a normal ring?
Not really... I have used the oval on two bikes but I have run round and oval on the same bike.

They feel different. I don't particularly feel any negative or positive. Absolute Black claims more traction, but my experience has been a bit to the opposite. I have found that I lose traction when the pedal goes at the deadstroke. Not much to make a difference but it's there. I feels faster, but I don't have hard data to support it. In my particular case, I feel I am using more my quads than before.

Attachments

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not really... I have used the oval on two bikes but I have run round and oval on the same bike.

They feel different. I don't particularly feel any negative or positive. Absolute Black claims more traction, but my experience has been a bit to the opposite. I have found that I lose traction when the pedal goes at the deadstroke. Not much to make a difference but it's there. I feels faster, but I don't have hard data to support it. In my particular case, I feel I am using more my quads than before.
cheers...........

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
The above have been ridden on a lot of very rocky trails, including Mt Buller (racing and riding), and You Yangs. Have never used a guide, and never will.
You need to ride faster old boy. :llama:

Running the hope up front on 2 bikes, with guides. No issues so far.