My wax based lube recipe

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've watched the AB video, I have both white spirit & mineral turps here, do they work alright ?

What wax are you using ? Or are they all pretty similar.

Start with new chains!

You've read the thread so I won't bore you with details. Slosh around in Mineral Turps a few times, Turps soak overnight. Then rinse with Methylated Spirits a few times. In the wax until the chain is the same temp as the wax.
I got this one from eBay, as it was a fuckton cheaper than graphenwax

@fjohn860 I bought that last time but I find the PTFE doesn't penetrative the chain, it just settles on top. It's still in the pot because it's still cleanish. I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect, just reporting my experience.

My current bag came from Spotlight, but I don't remember it costing 30 clams.

Going to grab some XTR/XT chains, hot wax them and have a go, see how they perform with lube intervals and distance. Worst case, I'll be back to Squirt.
I'm getting 200km in our fine dust before the chain starts sounding dry and has those tell tale little squeaks. Luckily thats exactly a week of commuting. Some days, particularly later in the week, when I roll off the dirt the chain sounds fucking horrible but by the time I'm home it's shed the dirt and sounds reasonable again. That's the best bit, there's no wet stuff for the dirt to stick to. Which means a clean chain when it goes in Mrs George's car and the shopping and school bags bounce off it.

I bought a few of these from Bunnings however they don't seem to sell them anymore. Heat the tin over a little portable camping stove and dump the chain in, let the chain come up to the temperature of the wax so it wicks into all the rollers and then hang it up to dry. Not sure if it's the citronella or something else in those candles but I've found this method to be less flaky once dried compared to other waxes.

View attachment 387319
That's the citronella oil keeping it a tiny bit more fluid. I've tried it, but any oil at all and our dust clings to it.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I bought that last time but I find the PTFE doesn't penetrative the chain, it just settles on top. It's still in the pot because it's still cleanish. I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect, just reporting my experience.

My current bag came from Spotlight, but I don't remember it costing 30 clams.
Thanks @Cardy George, I found just under 2kg of paraffin wax on marketplace for a tenner a while back (a lady apparently fancied herself a candle baroness, but clearly didn't last long).

I might not worry about the PTFE powder just yet, but definitely curious about it.

Cardy George

Thanks @Cardy George, I found just under 2kg of paraffin wax on marketplace for a tenner a while back (a lady apparently fancied herself a candle baroness, but clearly didn't last long).

I might not worry about the PTFE powder just yet, but definitely curious about it.
For sure. If I had a better way of blending it I'm sure it would make a difference, but I get plenty of kilometres without it so I'm not too fussed

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This bloke has a bit of good info. Well.. his point of view.

Interesting with his take on the PTFE additive.

Its actually a pretty good video most of the way through, some good tips... not so sure on spraying my cassette with degreaser with the disc rotor still fitted.

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
This bloke has a bit of good info. Well.. his point of view.

Interesting with his take on the PTFE additive.

Its actually a pretty good video most of the way through, some good tips... not so sure on spraying my cassette with degreaser with the disc rotor still fitted.

Doesn't he spray the brush that he then uses to clean the cassette not directly on the cassette (can't remember if I've watched that particular video or if it is mentioned in one of his other vids).
I have been doing the same and I'm sure that some degreaser must end up on my rear rotor just flicking off the brush, but I have never had any issues with brake performance and have been doing it for at least 6 months.

ozzybmx

Doesn't he spray the brush that he then uses to clean the cassette not directly on the cassette (can't remember if I've watched that particular video or if it is mentioned in one of his other vids).
I have been doing the same and I'm sure that some degreaser must end up on my rear rotor just flicking off the brush, but I have never had any issues with brake performance and have been doing it for at least 6 months.
Nah he gives the cassette a squirt at 18:55, had me cringing immediately. I'm a bit anal about my rotors and chemicals.

Probably why I love Centrelock rotors, as soon as I'm doing anything with my cassette, hub, spokes etc.. rotor gets taken off and put in a clean place.

A few years ago I had a shitty run of contaminated pads/rotors on nearly all my bikes, all of them getting contaminated on a few occasions, still don't know to this day what it was. Cost me a few $$$ on pads and even rotors getting my bikes back to silent.

Cardy George

Nah he gives the cassette a squirt at 18:55, had me cringing immediately. I'm a bit anal about my rotors and chemicals.

Probably why I love Centrelock rotors, as soon as I'm doing anything with my cassette, hub, spokes etc.. rotor gets taken off and put in a clean place.

A few years ago I had a shitty run of contaminated pads/rotors on nearly all my bikes, all of them getting contaminated on a few occasions, still don't know to this day what it was. Cost me a few $$$ on pads and even rotors getting my bikes back to silent.
I've confessed to using car wash and wax a couple of times before I realised what was rooting my pads.

ozzybmx

I've confessed to using car wash and wax a couple of times before I realised what was rooting my pads.
I used to use ct20 on my bike then realised the same thing. It's wash and wax.
I'm not a great washer of bikes. A wash usually consists of a blast down with a hose then a wipe with a damp cloth in the garage while it drip dries.

I also avoid rain, mud and puddles at all costs :)

ozzybmx

Tomorrow is out of quarantine day so I have impatiently lined up a scumtree pickup for 5kg of paraffin wax ($25) and will drop into Woolies for a cooker.

Will add the PTFE when it arrives from fleabay.

Quarantining has resulted in 4 chains cleaned and ready for wax.

Hope I take to this chain waxing caper as I will soon be the owner of 6kg of paraffin wax :rolleyes: when I only needed 500g.

PJO

in me vL comy
Tomorrow is out of quarantine day so I have impatiently lined up a scumtree pickup for 5kg of paraffin wax ($25) and will drop into Woolies for a cooker.

Will add the PTFE when it arrives from fleabay.

Quarantining has resulted in 4 chains cleaned and ready for wax.

Hope I take to this chain waxing caper as I will soon be the owner of 6kg of paraffin wax :rolleyes: when I only needed 500g.
6kg is many lifetimes worth of wax.
The best is if you have at least two (or more) chains rotating through the same bike

Edit: you could always take up candle making as a side hustle.

ozzybmx

6kg is many lifetimes worth of wax.
The best is if you have at least two (or more) chains rotating through the same bike

Edit: you could always take up candle making as a side hustle.
Might take up candle making then.

Yes that's the idea, run 2 chains and rotate when needed, that will give me a bit of time to get the other chain waxed and ready to go again.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I'm not a great washer of bikes. A wash usually consists of a blast down with a hose then a wipe with a damp cloth in the garage while it drip dries.

I also avoid rain, mud and puddles at all costs :)
Me either. I literally use hand wash and water in a modified nylex pump sprayer to foam the bike down. Come back 5mins later and hose it off....

Surprisingly it works pretty well

Cardy George

Rocked up at the dealers scumtree house in Hackham West, 2 security doors were unlocked, got handed a 5k bag of... wax. Grabbed my $25 and said 'see ya'.

Been quite a few years since I experienced a purchase like that :D
Glad to see nothings changed :D

Didn't they rename one of the neighbouring suburbs to get away from the association?