My wax based lube recipe

krisko

Likes Dirt
'The One' homebrew wax lube
Update: Over the last 12 months I have had dozens of PM's about this recipe, so have decided to post an update and some explanations on mountain bike chain lubrication challenges, home made ingredients required and the reasons these ingredients are used.

Judging by the responses from this thread, emails and messages I have received I think I have created a winning formula.

I will endeavour to make some batches and sell them at a low cost from my blog to further market test and receive feedback.
Anticipated date: January 2012, anticipated cost: 75ml for $5 [Will update once available]

Please let me know how you go with the outcome of this lubricant, good or bad!

Skip to the end for the philosophy and recipe!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background: OK I've mucked around with different chain lubes, oil based, wax based synthetic, organic lubes etc I have always thought they just dont last in really dusty environments, become expensive over time (what you get per dollar) and as such have been experimenting with home made bike lubes.

Reasoning: There is no doubt that my MTB Chain lubricant 'The One' as I have named it, is far superior (based on cost, longevity, chain quietness and ingredient costs) to the other big brands.
All lubricants work on three principles lubrication being 1a and 1b
1a: (lubrication) protect against wear and
1b: (lubrication) keep moving parts apart and
2. adhesion ability (the lubricant must be designed with it's challenges in mind)

MTB Bike chain challenges:longevity, we all want a lube to last all week but that simply isn't going to happen. Put simply foreign materials namely, water, dirt, clay etc will either ash the chain lube away or contaminate it enough to stop working effectively.

Market trends / Smart business:
The bottom line is to find a lube created to minimise the onset of its challenges
Oil based lubes are naturally adhesive they stick to things with different degrees of effectiveness (oil viscosity), additives may be used to increase adhesion, teflon and chemicals (natural or synthetic) that cause molecular attraction, being most common. Pros: Naturally water resistant Cons: Break down quickly due to dirt.
Thats why most bike shops will say oil based lubes are best for wet weather riding. Unfortuantely wet weather in mountain biking means mud and it's the mud that will remove the oil lubricants very fast. Usually 5-15km's when riding mtb when it becomes noticeable.

Wax based lubes, repel water well and create a barrier against sand and mud. Wax requires a carrier usually a solvent that brings the wax to liquid form to apply, the solvent then evaporates. Parrofin wax itself has adhesive qualities but will break down under severe conditions commonly ongoing use, where it will dry break down. Pros:Naturally water resistant, with a solvent also cleans and lubricates Cons: breaks down when dry through normal use.
Beeswax is naturall very adhesive, bees glue their chambers with beeswax! and it can dry solid yet still be soft, combined it the correct ratio with parrafin wax it will create a best solution that will lubricate without caking up.

Wax vs Oils lubricants: Ultimately marketing, image, value and price will play the biggest part what lubricants are perceived as the best. However real world testing under the same conditions will eventually highlight standout lubricants. The current standout lubricants are based on longevity. With the increase of endurance events and the average rider participating in these more often shortfalls in lubricants will emerge.

PTFE / Teflon:Basically a lubricant unless it is bonded.Pros:Excellent chemical and heat resistance, Lowest co-efficient of friction Cons: Unbonded PTFE may possibly be carcinogenic, Very toxic, Very expensive.Debated effectiveness how much is required to be effective in liquid form Cons far out way Pro's. Small amounts may be added for marketing reasons only!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My lubricant philosophy:
My take on lubes is that they should take up room between the chain and drive chain to keep the dirt out, be long lasting, not build up, be a quiet and protect the drivetrain.

Some lubes claim hundreds of k's between lubes, crazy stuff! If your sane you will relube your chain between epic rides, after all dirt is going to be there and dirt grinds down your chain and drivetrain faster than a clean drivetrain.

Recipe:
What you need: will make about 2 litres of lube

Wax and Grease remover 1litre
Paraffin wax 250gram
Bees Wax block 150 gram
Cheese Grater or similar
Old empty bottle of lube $free

For enduro rides I mix:
20% grated Paraffin wax ( all by volume not weight)
10% grated Bees wax
70% Wax and grease remover (see note below about adding more)
(The wax will liquify over time). The trick is to add wax and grease remover so that the mixture is runny like a moisturiser. This will enable easy application and enable the solvent carriers to evaporate. You have to remember that not all wax and grease removers are the same and whilst they will be similar in chemical composition you may require more to create the correct consistency)
Shake it up it and apply after your last ride wipe excess off gently. For best results apply after your last ride this will enable the wax to dry ready for your next big ride!

I reckon this recipe will out perform any lube on the market, will cost you a fraction and most importantly will keep you sane on your next epic ride.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Reece.

Likes Dirt
GREAT IDEA MATE :)
Is wax and grease remover avaliable from places lik bunnings and the likes?
also do you need to heat the "potion" up to get rid of the pieces of wax?
Also would you use the same mix for downhill chains?
Reece

Newton

Likes Dirt
Nice, I'll try that ...

My mix uses synthetix motor oil, there's always some left over when you do an oil change and mieral turps, I mix it 3 parts mineral turps to one part synthetic oil. Works a treat.

But I'll be making me up some wax goo now :)

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Also,
being 40% wax (a solid)
and 60% wax and grease remover (a liquid)
is the end product a paste or still a liquid like the rock "n" roll lubes?
Sorry for all the questions.. just curious :p

Last edited:

goryden

Likes Bikes
Huh?

Sounds good but how do you end up with 2 litres if you are mixing one candle to the wax and grease remover in a ratio of 2:3? I cant see this making more than about 500ml. Not trying to be smart, just want to get it right, anyway will mix some up and see how it goes, thanks for posting this. I recently switched to Rock and Roll and love it..will never go back to a wet lube again.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds good but how do you end up with 2 litres if you are mixing one candle to the wax and grease remover in a ratio of 2:3? I cant see this making more than about 500ml. Not trying to be smart, just want to get it right, anyway will mix some up and see how it goes, thanks for posting this. I recently switched to Rock and Roll and love it..will never go back to a wet lube again.
really big candle?

krisko

Likes Dirt
The wax expands as it melts in the 'wax and grease remover' or 'white spirits'

When adding the final mix to a container dont completely fill it, to allow for the wax to grow.

The hard grated wax essentially becomes fluffy in the mix before it fully breaks down.

Get yourself a big candle or just mix as you need it.

I would love some feedback, please. I seriously think that no one would buy chain lube after mixing this superior lube recipe.

Especially enduro / epic riders, due to how long the lube lasts.

Newton

Likes Dirt
Just made up a small batch, about 200ml, I'll wait until tomorrow to try it, I'll let you know how I go. :)

Newton

Likes Dirt
Just made up a small batch, about 200ml, I'll wait until tomorrow to try it, I'll let you know how I go. :)

Seemed to work OK, it seemed to solidify quickly once it came out of the bottle, maybe I have to much wax in the mix. I'll try and add some more solvent and see how it goes, but yea it seems to work.

kungy

Likes Bikes
Very interested in this.

Whilst it sounds like it keeps the noise and crunching gears down, how clean is this mix? Ie do i need to a full degrease on a regular basis on this for the default recipe, or do i need to just change the ratio of spirits to candle to do that?

Will

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Hey gang,
just went out and bought some grease and wax remover. 1L was cheaper than buying a bottle of pre mixed lube.
will let you all know how it goes

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Do you get a wax build up anywhere? With White Lightning it always used to cake up on the jockey wheels.

krisko

Likes Dirt
It doesn't go that black gritty colour and build up like oil based lubes.

You don't need to clean it with anything special, the next time you lube the mixture will clean the chain.

fergo

Likes Dirt
This sounds very simple and easy. Any recommendations for the degreaser? Is citrus based ok or anything from supercheap autos or bunnings?

krisko

Likes Dirt
'The One'

You do not need a degreaser as the mix contains wax and grease remover it will clean and lube the chain in one action.

I have a few riders testing this lube with two extra additives, one that works on molecular attraction and another one that I won't disclose.

Hopefully it will last the desired 24hours in between lubes.
I only have 6 hours use on this lube mix will be racing and riding a bit this coming week so hopefully should, fair well.

Sorry about thread mining, but was fascinated by this thread.
Went searching, and searching, but with no success.

Was there ever any follow up or additional feedback on this?

TIA