My wax based lube recipe

I tried this on a geared DJ bike, and it was surprisingly awesome. The first lot I made I must have used too much wax, and it caked up arounf the jockey wheels, but i gave it a good clean, diluted it more and it works well. Probably have about 10ish hours riding on it and its still quiet, and clean.

This was also my first experience with wax based lubes

redbruce

Eats Squid
OK I've mucked around with different chain lubes, oil based wax based synthetic lubes and apart from Rock n Roll extreme have always thought they just dont last in really dusty environments.

My take on lubes is that they should take up room between the chain and drive chain to keep the dirt out whilst providing a quieter bike (We all know that a quiet bike is a fast bike)

If your like me you get half way through a 100k ride and your drivetrain is crunching away and it drives you mad.

Some lubes claim hundreds of k's between lubes, crazy stuff. If your sane you will relube your chain between epic rides, after all dirt is going to be there and dirt grinds down your chain and drivetrain faster than a clean drivetrain.

Anyway enough rambling. If you fine grate a standard white candle and add it to your Rock n Roll it will have a higher wax to cleaner ratio meaning it will last longer in dusty and muddy conditions.

With this in mind I went about making my own wax lube.

What you need: will make 2 litres of lube
Wax and Grease remover $12
Candle $1
Grater $2
Old empty bottle of lube $free

For enduro rides I mix 60% wax and grease remover to 40% grated wax leave overnight and you will have a seriously waxy lube.

Shake it up it and apply after your last ride wipe excess off.
Go ride 100k's and enjoy a quiet clean ultra smooth running drivetrain.
I reckon this recipe will out perform any lube on the market, will cost you a fraction and most importantly will keep you sane on your next epic ride.
Yep, the basis of the RocK"N"Roll series of lubes.

Appears they use a couple of different waxes dissolved in lighter fluid (AKA: petroleum ether, coleman fluid, shellite, grease remover, etc) depending on target application.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use rock n roll and like the way it works. Figured this was similar stuff. I guess that rock n roll has probably had a little more research than 'a bit of candle and some solvent' put into it, but surely this'll do for low performance gear.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
I have a hot wax recipe, 6 candles and a tube of Nulon Teflon gear box lube. Melt the lot together in a shallow tray.

Once cold, lay the chain on it's side on top of the wax and bung the lot in the oven at about 90 and let the chain melt down into the wax. It's messy and somewhat dangerous to get out.

A lot of effort, but I've run one if these for 400km across sand with no further lubrication.

Watch out for wax all over the kitchen and the smell of gearbox oil in the oven - dead give aways to the Minister.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I have a hot wax recipe, 6 candles and a tube of Nulon Teflon gear box lube. Melt the lot together in a shallow tray.

Once cold, lay the chain on it's side on top of the wax and bung the lot in the oven at about 90 and let the chain melt down into the wax. It's messy and somewhat dangerous to get out.

A lot of effort, but I've run one if these for 400km across sand with no further lubrication.

Watch out for wax all over the kitchen and the smell of gearbox oil in the oven - dead give aways to the Minister.
Another dead giveaway is your nuts in a jar on her bedside table after she finds out!!!!!!!!!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Burn'ers,

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but there's are lots of different type of candles out there. When using this recipe is it just your bog standard "buy it at Coles" type candle? I'm thinking of giving this a crack and was curious to know.

Cheers,

Coaster

sneezy

Likes Bikes

I remember buying lube for my motorbike in NZ 27yrs ago and heating it on the stove at home.....parents were not at all happy about it. I'd use 2 chains per race if it was horid weather and just change them over in between laps.

bt100

Likes Dirt
Any chance you could give the mix by weight? eg 500g of wax and grease remover to 100g of candle?

krisko

Likes Dirt
Update available on the first page

Please see the 1st page for an updated recipe and background / challenges in lubrication.

I appreciate not everyone has the time and or resources to make this lube so have decided to make some small quantaties that I will sell from my blog soon.
Please check back.

Anticipated date: January 2012
Anticipated cost: 75ml for $5

Thanks for all the feedback!

Olefin

Likes Bikes
Another dead giveaway is your nuts in a jar on her bedside table after she finds out!!!!!!!!!
Err, yes.

It was the scones. 24 perfect looking scones that stank of gearbox oil.

Still, as a lube to end all lubes it's pretty good. I know of one cyclist that has bought a small oven for his man cave to repeat the procedure without recriminations.

I'm looking for easier options.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
I remember buying lube for my motorbike in NZ 27yrs ago and heating it on the stove at home.....parents were not at all happy about it. I'd use 2 chains per race if it was horid weather and just change them over in between laps.
I run 3 chains to one block. Once they are done the whole set go in the bin.

Pre-lubed, you can stick the chains in a glad bag. KMC links make them easy the change.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you considered/tried adding boron nitride (e.g. the key ingredient in some finish line products), graphite powder (readily available) or even molybdenum disulphide (i.e. molly bullet coating) at around 0.1-0.2% mass?
All have the inherent physical characteristics and potential to reduce the friction coefficient significantly below that of the standard mix (as listed above <0.2 / 0.3 / 0.7 ). The key question with these is are you willing to put up with something that is "dirty looking" - this is something the lube pushers have been faced with given technological advances since the invent of candles. None will go there... not many people like using dirty looking lubes on their favorite ride. :cower:

krisko

Likes Dirt
eastie
Have you considered/tried adding boron nitride (e.g. the key ingredient in some finish line products), graphite powder (readily available) or even molybdenum disulphide (i.e. molly bullet coating) at around 0.1-0.2% mass?
All have the inherent physical characteristics and potential to reduce the friction coefficient significantly below that of the standard mix (as listed above <0.2 / 0.3 / 0.7 ). The key question with these is are you willing to put up with something that is "dirty looking" - this is something the lube pushers have been faced with given technological advances since the invent of candles. None will go there... not many people like using dirty looking lubes on their favorite ride.
Sounds interesting unfortunately friction isn't a problem with bicycle chains in general, look here for a comprehensive University test. There have been many other similar tests done with the same results! http://www.sdearthtimes.com/et1199/et1199s13.html

Nothing keeps noise down like a decent based wax lubricant! It's all about filling the gap between the chain rollers, links and drivetrain.

This recipe produces a clean white lubricant that actually has a faint honey scent.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not dissing you theory, but opening the window to other aspects. If I was riding a fixie with perfectly aligned chain I’d buy the theory in that thinly veiled science prac report, but it’s not the whole picture for geared setups. The reason I'd buy the theory is that an engineer by the name of Binder (what a coincidental name for a bloke who did the engineering mechanics on chain systems!) worked out in the 1950’s that the Coulomb friction between the chain and sprocket in an aligned system has almost no bearing of loss of efficiency (lubed or not). Shitmano didn't need John Hopkins Uni to do a bench test to tell them that. So that part is indeed true to the engineering and mechanical principals. BUT, others furthered binders work and did the sums and worked out that misalignment of a chain by as little as 2 degrees can cause rubbing of the inner/outer links, creating 60-70% increased load on the chain. Up this to 6% and chains have a tendency to overcome any tension and jump off sprockets (or bind and break).

Without doing any sums I recon it would not be difficult to get 1-2% misalignment on geared mtb's. That’s where wax and other friction modifiers come into play, other than keeping dirt out.

Would suspending a dry lube like boron nitride in the mix have a dramatic or even noticeable effect? Maybe, maybe not. Many other things come into play like viscosity, adhesion, film thickness... oh wait -that sounds like molecular engineering that oil companies spend $'s researching. Have the bike lube pushers invested in research to substantiate their mixes, who knows.

What I do know is that I use either a can of Inox for wet weather or home brew wax chain lube for the dry. Commercial bike lubes are way overpriced – just take the measly 100ml you get for $15-$25, = $150-$250 a litre, or $50,000 for a 200 litre drum. That’s insane. Make your own.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Hi Eastie, No amount of lube or type of lube will fix a mis aligned chain.

Although dry lubes present some advantages in clean environments (locks for example) using something like boron nitride wouldn't be wise considering it's health risks, especially when mixing it.
Nobody wants lung disease!

You like so many others are outraged by the price of lubes given what they do. My recipe has lasted me and others many hours in very testing conditions.
I recently completed the Back Yamma being with a ride time of just under 5 hours, 105km's and no chain noise.
Hartley challenge in rain 20 plus hours and a simple chain lube at the start, no chain noise.

I will be giving the lube to some pro riders for testing and review shortly.

fergo

Likes Dirt
What I do know is that I use either a can of Inox for wet weather or home brew wax chain lube for the dry.

Which inox lube do you use? The MX-3 or MX-9? Do you have a recipe for a home lube you are willing to contribute or PM me instead?

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
I used to use paraffin wax years ago (late 1980's) on my track and road bike chains, mainly for cleanliness reasons, but once the wax that had wicked into the links had solidified and subsequently flaked away after a few km of riding, I wonder how much use it was. Sure it was initially quiet, but having a read of what the American engineer Jobst Brandt thinks about non-fluid lubricants caused me to re-think the use of straight paraffin wax (i.e. candle wax). Shandying it with another component to keep it liquid/fluid for longer might fix this?

"Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain. It immediately squeaks."

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

MJG

Likes Dirt
...and this link too for more about Brandt's thoughts on dry chain lubes:

http://yarchive.net/bike/chain_lubricant.html

I've been using chainsaw bar and chain oil thinned down with maybe 5% kerosine, so that it can flow more easily into the links of my bike chains. Still a bit messy, but so is everything else after most MTB rides.