Multimedia/home theatre computers

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst this'd be more appropriate at OCAU or the like I'm trying to deny my geekiness by not logging on there again :D

Time to rebuild my main PC and inject some life in the old monster, there's enough spare parts around to build a second (and third, and fourth...) box, and (in)conveniently my TV's digital tuner is crapping itself.
To me it makes a lot of send to build a dedicated multimedia box, something that can sit next to the TV and stereo and be piloted by remote control or wireless keyboard.
Since it's been a while since I've looked in to such a thing, and I'm too lazy to research it right now, I ask:

What's the ideal solution for a multimedia-orientated operating system? I could easily install XP and faff around with it, but are there any free options for integrated media control? What about Windows Media Center? Keep in mind it won't be a very powerful PC, so I'd prefer something easy on resources.

Also... will a USB HDD plugged in to a wireless router be fast enough storage solution to allow video streaming?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
have a go at XP with XBMC http://xbmc.org/

i havn't got a media centre PC but XBMC apparently works fine with a standard windows media centre remote (you can get a clone for $30 from jaycar). i've been using XBMC on my old xbox for years now and it works a treat there, and i cant imagine that somehow the PC version isn't as good. you can grab the windows version and have a crack at it, its free so you've got nothing to lose :)

with streaming from network HDDs, not all enclosures are created equal. i have a nexstar NAS enclosure with a single drive and while it is functional, it is just nowhere near as good as my Dlink dual drive enclosure. mind you, the dlink was $250 as opposed to $100. at a guess, i'd say it would be fine for most stuff, but if the enclosure is a cheapie or the router doesn't do NAS efficiently or if you try to use wireless, then you'll have trouble watching anything HD and possibly even have trouble watching some higher quality SD stuff.

Last edited:

Rider

Likes Dirt
I have a similar set up at home. It started when I wanted to do something with an old computer instead of getting rid of it. It's connected to the TV using the monitor input on the TV and the to a stereo because there is no audio input on the TV. I'm running XP and using a wireless keyboard with a built in mouse. I have a couple of shared folders set up that I just add stuff to from my main computer when I want to watch something. It's not the most elegant set up, but it was cheap to set up and does the job pretty well.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What OS are you using Rider? I've no problem in sticking with XP but would rather something less clunky than the windows interface for control whilst sprawled on the lounge.
Wireless laptop-sized keyboards with trackpad and multimedia buttons seems the way to go, a convenient solution.
I'd like to stick with wireless for networking as I've an aversion to cables - too many in the room already! Won't be HD as I doubt the old parts will keep up with it... but the goal is to combine the usage of internet PC, music production laptop, multimedia PC and phone's WLAN/bluetooth capabilities :)D), and NAS of sorts to handle storage for everything.
Nokia's S60 allows you to stream media via 3g from your home box, that'll be the next project :cool:

indica

Serial flasher
Interesting.
I'm browsing the internet on one monitor while the kids are watching a 720p of Wall-E on the Samsung hi-def 32".
Works a treat, haven't got the remote shizzle happening but I'd like to.

I might have to build a cheap PC one day to fullfill these duties but my 2005 G5 works a treat!

Rider

Likes Dirt
What OS are you using Rider? I've no problem in sticking with XP but would rather something less clunky than the windows interface for control whilst sprawled on the lounge.
Wireless laptop-sized keyboards with trackpad and multimedia buttons seems the way to go, a convenient solution.
I'd like to stick with wireless for networking as I've an aversion to cables - too many in the room already! Won't be HD as I doubt the old parts will keep up with it... but the goal is to combine the usage of internet PC, music production laptop, multimedia PC and phone's WLAN/bluetooth capabilities :)D), and NAS of sorts to handle storage for everything.
Nokia's S60 allows you to stream media via 3g from your home box, that'll be the next project :cool:
I'm just using XP pro.

It was just the easiest and simplest way to do it. It also gets used to fiddle around on the net, youtube mainly, as well as being used to watch films and stuff. I don't find it that hard to use, but I've never see a media player specific operating system to I can't really tell if the grass is greener on the other side.