Moto L's and bike choice

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
mate thats exactly what i want except its allready done what i want, sorry but i dont really wan tot buy a bike thats allready dont alot of touring, that to me says its had a long, hard life and i'd rather a bike that was used as a weekend bike
I take it that was for the DRZ400S ad... Looks to me like a touring rider not a weekend throttle twister. and less of a shot in the dark than buying from ebay. I would think those 24,000 k were pretty gentle. as in I don't think he's had it over a set of doubles. Plus, the price is same as a bare bones ebay bike, panniers, tank, power outlets, racks, screen, light guard, bash plate etc are mostly extras.

which ever 2nd hand bike you get, I'd be replacing and flushing ALL fluids, F&R brake fluid, fork oil, engine/gear box, empty tank/flush, valve clearance, bolt tightness across bike, 1/2 days work for a weekend spanner swinger. Get a manual, cause you'll have to know the bike when you're de-watering after drowning it on a water crossing.

anyway, if you had ya licence, it'd make an awesome first ride home, tassie to the big island.

If the bikes gonna do jumps, it'll be harsh for a tour, if the bikes for touring, it'll be harsh on jumps.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Last edited:

pinnin

Likes Dirt
I take it that was for the DRZ400S ad... Looks to me like a touring rider not a weekend throttle twister. and less of a shot in the dark than buying from ebay. I would think those 24,000 k were pretty gentle. as in I don't think he's had it over a set of doubles. Plus, the price is same as a bare bones ebay bike, panniers, tank, power outlets, racks, screen, light guard, bash plate etc are mostly extras.

which ever 2nd hand bike you get, I'd be replacing and flushing ALL fluids, F&R brake fluid, fork oil, engine/gear box, empty tank/flush, valve clearance, bolt tightness across bike, 1/2 days work for a weekend spanner swinger. Get a manual, cause you'll have to know the bike when you're de-watering after drowning it on a water crossing.

anyway, if you had ya licence, it'd make an awesome first ride home, tassie to the big island.

If the bikes gonna do jumps, it'll be harsh for a tour, if the bikes for touring, it'll be harsh on jumps.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Well said...

It will be a compromise, just find something you can live with doing everything you want to do. Sounds like a suzuki fits the bill for the touring / gentle riding (I did promote the enduro racers because I do race enduros, haha, a little bias)

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well said...

It will be a compromise, just find something you can live with doing everything you want to do. Sounds like a suzuki fits the bill for the touring / gentle riding (I did promote the enduro racers because I do race enduros, haha, a little bias)
Shall we tell him about Erzberg?
Look at the top 3 bikes that win it and pick which one you like best, then you will truly have a bike that can handle anything you throw at it.

pinnin

Likes Dirt
Shall we tell him about Erzberg?
Look at the top 3 bikes that win it and pick which one you like best, then you will truly have a bike that can handle anything you throw at it.
Haha,

Let's not. We don't want to scare him off a bike for the rest of his life.

But if you look at Erzberg, or any other extreme enduro for that matter. The bikes will be KTM, Husky, Husaberg. Taddy Blazusiak is a master of his KTM and the sport at the moment IMO.

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
I reckon riding an Erzberg/Romaniacs bike would be like shagging a Bat Shit Crazy chick. Fun for a while......

+ the bikes winning those races would need a couple team mechanics to follow them along the Canning Stock route. Highly strung race bikes, not forgiving, need an ass made of Titanium with a cast iron buffer pad for more than 100k

BTW has anyone got a set of .48kgs/mm fork springs for an XR400. /thread hijack

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon riding an Erzberg/Romaniacs bike would be like shagging a Bat Shit Crazy chick. Fun for a while......

+ the bikes winning those races would need a couple team mechanics to follow them along the Canning Stock route. Highly strung race bikes, not forgiving, need an ass made of Titanium with a cast iron buffer pad for more than 100k

BTW has anyone got a set of .48kgs/mm fork springs for an XR400. /thread hijack
1. How can shagging a bat shit crazy chick ever get boring? You need to think about that my friend :bounce:

2.This lad is a weekend warrior not a pro rider (no offence to OP), the bike won't be under near as much stress as it would be at Erzberg being hammered by a pro rider so it will not need a team of mechanics to keep it running.

3. Bikes these days come with adjustable suspension, if it's to harsh you simply make some adjustments to get it suited to your riding style. Again, he's not a pro rider and won't be riding things near as fast as a pro so his bike doesn't need to be stiff as a board so it floats over the rough stuff.

Last edited:

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
1. How can shagging a bat shit crazy chick ever get boring? You need to think about that my friend :bounce:

1.1 I speak from experience, maybe mine were more BSC than yours!
1.2 true, I meant riding her all day for a few months, not once every couple weeks for 48 seconds !

2.This lad is a weekend warrior not a pro rider (no offence), the bike won't be under near as much stress as it would be at Erzberg being hammered by a pro rider so it will not need a team of mechanics to keep it running.

2.1 no offence taken (dunno why)
2.2 True, I meant that they've got short service intervals compared too XR/DRZ air cooled stuff valve clearance/oil change etc.
2.3 Yeah I thought the OP wanted a bike to learn on, therefore highly strung bikes wont be as forgiving as a detuned old pig!

3. Bikes these days come with adjustable suspension, if it's to harsh you simply make some adjustments to get it suited to your riding style. Again, he's not a pro rider and won't be riding things near as fast as a pro so his bike doesn't need to be stiff as a board so it floats over the rough stuff.

3.1 True, It'd be good if my XR had air sprung forks. but alas ,I need heavier springs being near 100 kegs before i've got a stitch on. they come out being set up for rider weight about 65kgs. its like riding a bloody marshmallow.
i'm adding to this thread as I came off a KTM 250 exc 2 banger, 1st dirt bike. pretty damn steep learning curve to riding. offloaded that after 18months riding and a tibia plateau break, and got the little white pig. XR400. More of a tractor, better torque curve (not peaky)

That advrider thread i linked if for xr devotees I suppose. They are a darned versatile bike, light enough in single track, still entering Dakar, cheap, heaps of aftermarket parts, the toyota shitlux of bikes. In saying that, for a learner, (which I still am) a detuned bike will be more user friendly ie forgiving, most of that is a broad torque curve, motorcross bikes will have a peaky torque curve, making a few more coit puckering moments.

went for a 6 hour with my mate on his KTM 450, he was surprised at me right next to him in a drag race! (I've given it a little tickle up) We swap bikes a bit though out day. It's more of a handful in the single track, doesn't have the snappy acceleration, but will still get there. Just need ya game face on a bit more.

I'm doing the Cape next year, on the XR. Faaaarrrk, I wanna go next week now after typing all that dribble above

pinnin

Likes Dirt
i'm adding to this thread as I came off a KTM 250 exc 2 banger, 1st dirt bike. pretty damn steep learning curve to riding. offloaded that after 18months riding and a tibia plateau break, and got the little white pig. XR400. More of a tractor, better torque curve (not peaky)

That advrider thread i linked if for xr devotees I suppose. They are a darned versatile bike, light enough in single track, still entering Dakar, cheap, heaps of aftermarket parts, the toyota shitlux of bikes. In saying that, for a learner, (which I still am) a detuned bike will be more user friendly ie forgiving, most of that is a broad torque curve, motorcross bikes will have a peaky torque curve, making a few more coit puckering moments.

went for a 6 hour with my mate on his KTM 450, he was surprised at me right next to him in a drag race! (I've given it a little tickle up) We swap bikes a bit though out day. It's more of a handful in the single track, doesn't have the snappy acceleration, but will still get there. Just need ya game face on a bit more.

I'm doing the Cape next year, on the XR. Faaaarrrk, I wanna go next week now after typing all that dribble above
I see now why you think they are bat shit crazy, riding any 250 two stroke will do that to you.

To play devils advocate here, the enduro versions of the KTM and husky (4 strokers) are not that peaky, and I have often described mine (Husky TE310) to be a tractor a number of times, seems like it has torque forever, and you can be in just about any gear and it will pick up eventually. Very forgiving bike. Unlike the motocrossers. In saying that, i'm now in the market for a KXF450, need something a little faster, and after I have the suspension done, it will be a great trail bike too. As said before, by everyone, its the skill level and the objective of the rider that chooses the bike. I'm too competitive to be happy with how fast I am riding, always searching for pace. This attitude would be a little different to the gentle open trail riding OP is doing.

Also, going back to the OP, not sure if we are talking NSW moto licence, but a dirt bike is your friend when doing it in NSW. From what I hear, every other state gets off lightly for the licence. But you want a bike with a good turning circle to jump through all the hoops they set for you. It will be boring as watching grass grow, but its what you gotta do.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fuck the easy open trail riding, sorry i'll say it again, i wanna do

1, long hauls to the cape and so on
2, single track
3, commuting
4, racing round the paddock with the boys

i'm looks about $2500 - $4000 ish,

pinnin

Likes Dirt

2, single track
3, commuting

If you are going to be doing a lot of single track, I wouldnt get anything other than a KTM or Husky or Husaberg (basically KTM). I have said it before I know, but if you get a tourer you will hate it in the bush. You could always get a safari tank for a KTM (or bike of choice) and swap it out for the standard after you have done your long haul.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.

2, single track
3, commuting

Not really adding anything here;

I've been riding bikes for a long time, albiet I don't have the experience that the guys here do with in regards to the traits and handling of various bikes off road (My experiences are couriering, commuting, road touring and mild off road; 370k so far and counting).

Relating this to bicycles I perceive this - any bike can do anything, but some a lot better, more capable and fun than others.

1, long hauls to the cape and so on - A full blown touring bicycle, not that fun to ride, but explorung AU is the reward.
2, single track - A snappy short travel XC 26'er.
3, commuting - a road bike or flat bar road bike, or perhaps a 29'er with slicks.
4, racing round the paddock with the boys - DH bike, AM bike or DJ bike.

You need to list what is most important trait for you, then think really clearly about what you're actually going to spend the most time doing. I bought an old XR many years ago, had a blast, then road a mates sports bike through the Black spur in Melbourne, I traded in the following day :D.

I'll wager you'll do the Cape once or twice and that's it. But I'll wager if you like riding, you'll do an awful lot of commuting and a lot less time off road.

For commuting you want at least a 400+, you'll also want to set it up motard style - good thread on that here, http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?126426-motards-who-else-rides-one
They are so much fun to ride on roads, more fun than any sports bike I have ridden.

Not sure if it been covered, have you budgeted for riding gear? mines somewhere over 3k. Insurance? being a learner it might be an unpleasant surprise depending what bike.

Second lastly, I was thinking why are all these idiots recommending bikes over 260....Oohh, LAMS, what a great time it is to be a learner in Vic (and any where else it's the same), so many great bike options (260+) as a learner that weren't around 10 years ago due to restrictions.

Lastly, lastly, I'd be buying a XR400 (I am a honda man) or taking a very close look at the DRZ, i don;t know anyone who I've asked with one that didn't smile about owning one.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not really adding anything here;

I've been riding bikes for a long time, albiet I don't have the experience that the guys here do with in regards to the traits and handling of various bikes off road (My experiences are couriering, commuting, road touring and mild off road; 370k so far and counting).

Relating this to bicycles I perceive this - any bike can do anything, but some a lot better, more capable and fun than others.

1, long hauls to the cape and so on - A full blown touring bicycle, not that fun to ride, but explorung AU is the reward.
2, single track - A snappy short travel XC 26'er.
3, commuting - a road bike or flat bar road bike, or perhaps a 29'er with slicks.
4, racing round the paddock with the boys - DH bike, AM bike or DJ bike.

You need to list what is most important trait for you, then think really clearly about what you're actually going to spend the most time doing. I bought an old XR many years ago, had a blast, then road a mates sports bike through the Black spur in Melbourne, I traded in the following day :D.

I'll wager you'll do the Cape once or twice and that's it. But I'll wager if you like riding, you'll do an awful lot of commuting and a lot less time off road.

For commuting you want at least a 400+, you'll also want to set it up motard style - good thread on that here, http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?126426-motards-who-else-rides-one
They are so much fun to ride on roads, more fun than any sports bike I have ridden.

Not sure if it been covered, have you budgeted for riding gear? mines somewhere over 3k. Insurance? being a learner it might be an unpleasant surprise depending what bike.

Second lastly, I was thinking why are all these idiots recommending bikes over 260....Oohh, LAMS, what a great time it is to be a learner in Vic (and any where else it's the same), so many great bike options (260+) as a learner that weren't around 10 years ago due to restrictions.

Lastly, lastly, I'd be buying a XR400 (I am a honda man) or taking a very close look at the DRZ, i don;t know anyone who I've asked with one that didn't smile about owning one.
confusing as shit mate!

whats with these pushy referances, i allready have all the pushys i need for the rest of my life!

i might be doing a bit of communting and so

BUT something that just occured to me, my uncle has an exc 450, 520 and 690 so i'm thinking i'll get a 250 and just borrow a big bike for the cape!

winner winner chicken dinner! know what i'm doing now!

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
fucked if I'd let my young punk nephew ride one of my bikes 4000k's

XR400/DRZ400 with a second set of motard wheels. the best all round bike for your four points above.

the bloke with the irrational wife has a point on gear. $3k Faaaarrrk did you shop with Klim gear

helmet
boots
all weather pants
all weather jacket
summer gloves
winter gloves
body armour
knee/shin guard
tent/swag
cooking gear
camping gear
tools
spares
Commuting rubber, if not a second set of wheels

What have I forgotten?

This having fun is expensive isn't it!

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fucked if I'd let my young punk nephew ride one of my bikes 4000k's

XR400/DRZ400 with a second set of motard wheels. the best all round bike for your four points above.

the bloke with the irrational wife has a point on gear. $3k Faaaarrrk did you shop with Klim gear

helmet got it
boots
all weather pants
all weather jacket
summer gloves got it
winter gloves got it
body armour got it
knee/shin guard
tent/swag got it
cooking gear got it
camping gear got it
tools got it
spares
Commuting rubber, if not a second set of wheels

What have I forgotten?

This having fun is expensive isn't it!
i think i'll be right for affording gear, and my uncle will let me borrow it because i'll leave my car as collateral, worse comes to worst

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think i'll be right for affording gear, and my uncle will let me borrow it because i'll leave my car as collateral, worse comes to worst
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, I would suggest at least asking him before you commit to buying a 250.....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Who's Klim gear? that one went past me. Ah, google, high end US stuff - looks pretty good :D

3k's the cost of my road / touring / commuter weather gear - got rid of my moto stuff years ago, no idea what it costs, but the good stuff can't be cheap.

Dainese + leather $$$ goes up really fast. I could have bought cheap shit, but wearing it daily going to cost more in the long run with the need to replace. I've only ever come off once, it was money well spent.

confusing as shit mate!

whats with these pushy referances, i allready have all the pushys i need for the rest of my life!
Bicycle references was to highlight the bike you want does not exist - just like in bicycles. You are going to have to make significant compromises to one or two of your criteria. Perhaps a little subtle.

Borrowing a bike for the cape is a great idea as it removes one of the criteria, good luck, I wouldn't let anyone ride mine.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
If your going to do the cape have you thought of hiring a bike especially for that trip and buy a bike that better fits the other 3 criteria?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^^ correct me if I'm wrong, some of my mates were thinking the same thing for our trip, but I think hire rates are around $1/k
yeh the cost of hiring is hurndous! i did ask him hes was bit reluctant but once i offered the car he was like oh yeh sure