Moto L's and bike choice

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys

so i'm thinking of getting a moto and a licence to match, bikes gotta be a off road bike, capeable of doing some jumps, and also long distance rides, going up the cape later in the year and i'd like to take it, so its gotta be able to ride there and back, but there will be the 4wd with camping gear, food etc

so its 250 minimum, able to ride long distance, road registerable, able to hit doubles, and reliable and most of all not shit

some thing like the ktm 250 exc-f, i'd go this because its 4 stroke, has the kick start if all else fails, is an enduro bike so it got to be able to do long distance, looks like it would do some small doubles, and i think you can ride it on l's

http://www.ktm.com.au/250-EXC-F-2013

so basically just want advice, comments, tips, anything constructive

Ivan

Eats Squid
WR250R match your criteria. Possibly also a KLX250 with some mods.the KTM is a motocrosss bike with ADR gear attached, and has the service intervals to match.

Last edited:

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
250 4T will let you hit near ANY jump...

For big rides like the cape - you want to be on 350 min... (ala kato 350exc). Bigger would be better up there (up to 525/570 as skills and experience permit).

Don't bother with anything no road registerable....

Once you get it, work out your range by running to empty a few times, then get aftermarket long range tanks. OEM tanks are tiny (8.5-9.5L, bigger bikes up to 11L).

Last edited:

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Budget will play a big part in what you get, if your after newish then I would say husaberg 390, if your going older I'de go a WR 450 or as mentioned a Drz are a good all rounder, if your doing a cape York trip do not get a 250 it will drive you nuts.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Budget will play a big part in what you get, if your after newish then I would say husaberg 390, if your going older I'de go a WR 450 or as mentioned a Drz are a good all rounder, if your doing a cape York trip do not get a 250 it will drive you nuts.
may sound silly but why will it drive me nuts?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also just to ad, yes i know the ktm's i'm drooling over are well into the tens of thousands but i'm only really going to be able to spend about 2.5-4 on a bike, i know there's not much choice there but saving money for the simpson dessert trip in august is a major priority aswell, so any ideas on exact bikes to buy for that? bearing in mind i'm still saving the pennies for it, so what if any bikes can i get for under 4 that are big enough for enduro touring and light enough and beefy enough to hit some small doubles?

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically a 450 and above is a minimum for what you want to do with it. 250s are a pain because you have to ride the tits off them to get them to go anywhere because they don't have the horsepower when on a 450 you can just blat along and they tend to be a bit more reliable. Also something to keep in mind is a GOOD pair of boots, I don't care what anyone says you'll be wanting to spend a minimum of 500/600 dollars on something with good buckles and a hinged ankle, trust me it makes life so much easier.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically a 450 and above is a minimum for what you want to do with it. 250s are a pain because you have to ride the tits off them to get them to go anywhere because they don't have the horsepower when on a 450 you can just blat along and they tend to be a bit more reliable. Also something to keep in mind is a GOOD pair of boots, I don't care what anyone says you'll be wanting to spend a minimum of 500/600 dollars on something with good buckles and a hinged ankle, trust me it makes life so much easier.
figuered it was something along those lines

yeh boots a something i've been thinking alot about and me being me, i'm not buying shit things, having expensive tastes sucks some days!
i'm more likely to spend about 200-400 on a pair, i know a shit tonne of people who ride moto in the 4wd club so i'm sure i can pick up a good pair cheap!

WR250R match your criteria. Possibly also a KLX250 with some mods.the KTM is a motocrosss bike with ADR gear attached, and has the service intervals to match.
hit the nail! i have 30,000km's in less than two years on mine and i can keep up with mates on their YZF's EXC's etc

little bit heavier than the WRF and shorter suspension but far better maintenance interval

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
may sound silly but why will it drive me nuts?
Yeah as mentioned above for any long distance riding a 250 4t would have to be geared in a way that you would have shit acceleration to be tollerable at any kind of speed, the wr250r is an acception as it is geared differently but would still be a compromise. based on what you have said and your given budget I would be looking at a drz400 as you can pick them up cheap as and they are reliable as he'll, my second choice would be the wr450 but you won't get as new for the $ you want to spend. In regards to boots check out www.motostorm.it I bought a brand new set of Sidi crossfires ( top of the line Italian made boot) from there mid last year for $380 delivered.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
with regards to the learner's laws, im pretty sure 250 is going to be the max you can go for the first year. at least thats the law in queensland with QRIDE

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
with regards to the learner's laws, im pretty sure 250 is going to be the max you can go for the first year. at least thats the law in queensland with QRIDE
Incorrect - Queensland as follows:

Learners can ride a LAMS approved bike. There are some damn big dirbikes on that list - my Husaberg FE450 fit's the bill. FYI I have NO IDEA how an injected big bore ends up on the LAMS list - it's dangerous.

To get off Learners - you do QRide course (1-3 days depending on experience), then your are on Open Restricted, but still are required to ride LAMS approved bike.

After you spend 1year on Open Restricted, you can then ride any bike... That gives you Opens.

Most ADR compliant 450 four stroke single cylindars are LAMS approved.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Incorrect - Queensland as follows:

Learners can ride a LAMS approved bike. There are some damn big dirbikes on that list - my Husaberg FE450 fit's the bill. FYI I have NO IDEA how an injected big bore ends up on the LAMS list - it's dangerous.

To get off Learners - you do QRide course (1-3 days depending on experience), then your are on Open Restricted, but still are required to ride LAMS approved bike.

After you spend 1year on Open Restricted, you can then ride any bike... That gives you Opens.

Most ADR compliant 450 four stroke single cylindars are LAMS approved.
correct, the 520 i was looking at was lams approved! i was like fuck off how? its not going to be checked the gov site and yep there she was on the list, loads of bikes are on there surprise me

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Yeah you can ride up to 660cc these days but the bikes are classified on there power to weight ratio. Mind you a 520 in the hand of a learner is a hell of a lot of bike.