Mont 24, so who's going?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cúl-Báire said:
if someone shot that STU bastard that was on the horn all day, I can still hear that CUNT
I think the correct response is "get stuffed". Stu is a great guy, and does a good job of keeping the vibe going and, very importantly, keeping the sponsors happy (although he did get me in the mic at one point). Plus he's responsible for the 8hr series and the Sydney 24hr.

Until you've put in 10% of the effort into the mtb community that Stu has, pull your head in.

btw, that was your Cove on the back of the car heading down Northbourne Ave on Monday morning, wasn't it? I was in the very dusty blue Subie, trying to find my way to breakfast.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Squidly Didly said:
I can't remember seeing him myself as there were quite a few little ones out there
Actually we caught and passed him near the first checkpoint on our first lap. Our heavier bikes (*cough*) gave us a speed advantage down the hill there. :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Cúl-Báire said:
We'll no offense Squid, but in my defence... Hearing how much your on that computer of yours I half expected you to be a fat bastard, not the tall skinny person that you are :p
All the mass is deposited in his schnoz.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
McBain said:
Cúl-Báire said:
if someone shot that STU bastard that was on the horn all day, I can still hear that CUNT
I think the correct response is "get stuffed". Stu is a great guy, and does a good job of keeping the vibe going and, very importantly, keeping the sponsors happy (although he did get me in the mic at one point). Plus he's responsible for the 8hr series and the Sydney 24hr.

Until you've put in 10% of the effort into the mtb community that Stu has, pull your head in.

btw, that was your Cove on the back of the car heading down Northbourne Ave on Monday morning, wasn't it? I was in the very dusty blue Subie, trying to find my way to breakfast.
Firstly apologies to Stu, no mean to offend... His stupid commentary really spoiled the atmosphere I feel; which is a matter of opinion, which myself and all my team mates shared. More / Better music would have been more appropriate.

I have no doubt he does alot for MTB in the area though & he does seem a nice guy (with an annoying voice :p ). Again apologies to anyone I offended... 10hrs in a car got the better of me yesterday.

My bike was on the back of a white Subie wagon, between the car and the blue trailer with a blue Avanti... Not sure where we were though as I live about 10hrs away... Chances are if it's on the way to the Barton Hwy then it was my bike :) I have to say Canberra is a very beautiful place- I will be heading back there, soon hopefully. :)

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cúl-Báire said:
More / Better music would have been more appropriate.
That's one place that pretty much everyone agrees. :D Next time I'll try and convince Stu to grab a laptop from one of us with a good selection of tracks - it has worked at 12/24hr races before.
Chances are if it's on the way to the Barton Hwy then it was my bike :)
Yeah, you were turning off Northbourne (the main road running through the North of Canberra) onto Barton.
I have to say Canberra is a very beautiful place- I will be heading back there, soon hopefully. :)
Did you get over to Majura? If not, next time hit it up, the riding there is pretty special and lots of fun to be had.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
McBain said:
Cúl-Báire said:
Chances are if it's on the way to the Barton Hwy then it was my bike :)
Yeah, you were turning off Northbourne (the main road running through the North of Canberra) onto Barton.
I have to say Canberra is a very beautiful place- I will be heading back there, soon hopefully. :)
Did you get over to Majura? If not, next time hit it up, the riding there is pretty special and lots of fun to be had.
Yeah that would have been us, on the way home... A whole 9.5hrs away :shock: And we missed KFC in Albury/Wadonga too :shock: :? :cry:

Nah we didn't get over to Majura, I was hoping to get there on Thursday and go riding Thursday/Friday, and leave Tuesday with a ride on Monday. But my team mate coughridecough had to work Thursday and Tuesday so we missed out. Still judging by the Kowen area there is loads of good riding around. Defiantly staying a week next time :)

RedPill

Likes Dirt
parallax said:
I'll be there on my XC beast. 2002 P3 w/ Boxxers and 24" wheels. Should be even worse than 6'T :?

Come say g'day - I'll only be riding during the day, so at night come crack a couple of tubes and relax.

haha we saw you, we were up at the switchbacks and you almost crashed on the middle berm?

parallax

Likes Dirt
RedPill said:
parallax said:
I'll be there on my XC beast. 2002 P3 w/ Boxxers and 24" wheels. Should be even worse than 6'T :?

Come say g'day - I'll only be riding during the day, so at night come crack a couple of tubes and relax.

haha we saw you, we were up at the switchbacks and you almost crashed on the middle berm?
"almost" - hehehe...
The important thing is, we survived.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution

well said mcbain,
for everyones info Stu did the comentary on a volunteer basis, no expenses paid, no payment recieved.
he does a great job of promoting the sponsers, which without them THERE WOULD BE NO EVENTS.
don't make the mistake of thinking that what someone says one a mike is a good representation of what they are really like, it's just acting really

music did suck though, but again it's not just as easy as playing mp3's off a laptop as events are esentially BROADCASTING which bring all manner of issues to the surface

Stu/WSMTB/me will be responsible for the Syd24, and as mcbain says Stu is solely responsible for the workingweek serise

don't want to rag on Cul too much (he's been a customer!!) but the big picture of event organising MASSIVE!

mcbain, i saw you on Sunday morning but didn't say hi, by that time after my 24hr wrenchathon i saw speaking swahili!!

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Stu actually said at one stage that he was talking lots because the music sucked :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like his commentary, although I know some people don't. I think he brings a nice friendly atmosphere to the events i have heard him announce at.

People working a PA that know a lot of the entrants etc. make it more interesting for those in the crowd that are new to the sport, because they can learn a lot by listening..... perhaps that is why I enjoy listening to Stu so much?? I know a few people that have done commentary on XC Ski races and the make a huge difference to the event, because they are animated when they speak and they know their subject. The don't talk like that 24/7 though. A commentator without that animation can still be informative, but not as entertaining.

THRILLHOUSE

Likes Dirt
BrumbyJack said:
Stu actually said at one stage that he was talking lots because the music sucked :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like his commentary, although I know some people don't. I think he brings a nice friendly atmosphere to the events i have heard him announce at.

People working a PA that know a lot of the entrants etc. make it more interesting for those in the crowd that are new to the sport, because they can learn a lot by listening..... perhaps that is why I enjoy listening to Stu so much?? I know a few people that have done commentary on XC Ski races and the make a huge difference to the event, because they are animated when they speak and they know their subject. The don't talk like that 24/7 though. A commentator without that animation can still be informative, but not as entertaining.
Stu is such a top bloke.. he gave me sumthin to listen to wen i was bored and i went to him wen i wanted free stuff:) i got a can of lube and a can of de-greaser out of him, o and sum chain wax.

From ur descriptions i dont remember seein too many of u guys down there. i was ridin a black ac3 and was running a single chain-ring with a chain guide.. i was also wearin a mostly blue outfit wit nsw written on my knicks.

well what kind of lap times were u goin around in? im 15 years old and my fastest lap was on the second day at 1 hour and 13 seconds... i was so cut i didnt break the hour as that was my aim... so yea how'd all u guys go?

cossack

Likes Bikes
The mont was my first xc race and it won't be my last.
I was part of a corp team. We all had a ball.

Were already planning for next year.
It should be great.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
just while you are planning next year, don't forget

N-Zo Sydney 24hr, 16-17th April '05

be there!!

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MrCove said:
mcbain, i saw you on Sunday morning but didn't say hi, by that time after my 24hr wrenchathon i saw speaking swahili!!
Yeah, saw you as well - but you had that homicidal maniac look in your eyes, so I thought I better leave you in your trance :D

Toxic

Likes Dirt
MrCove said:

be there!!
Do you know the entry fees yet? That'll decide my participation.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
MrCove said:

be there!!
Yep, the kids and I will be there for sure!!!!!

Just found this pic on the john fraser photography website.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
no financial details as yet
guess it will be the same sort of thing as any of the others