Mobile Phone Recommendations

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nokia 6300. $150 or there abouts as an outright phone. You're not likely to break it in a hurry, that's for sure.

Had 3 of them in the past, they're definitely a winner of a phone for how much they are.

I have a HTC dream now though probably the most amazing phone alive, but you wont get close to one of those for $250 :(

(oh the note of having 3, I've still got 2 of them. The one of them I DON'T have was actually the PREVIOUS model of that one, which was EVEN better. And the volume of its music player when you make a custom EQ wholy shit. People think that ones loud. THe old one, like 2x + the volume. It was completely insane)

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I've had the same Motorola L6 since 2006 and it has been a great phone. Was $150 outright back then (not sure what it or the equivalent goes for now) but it has never failed on me and the only gripe I have with it is that if the message memory is full and another text comes in, even once you clear some space, you can never retrieve the message. Stand-by time is still about 1 week for me, even after 3 years on the original battery. Was thinking of upgrading a while ago, but it still works like new and does what I want so no need to waste money.
Good phone, cheap, lots of features, came with a bluetooth headset and its pretty thin. I would highly recommend Motorola.

L14M

Likes Bikes
Ive had a Sony Ericsson for about 2 years and i think its great ($190 new). Nokias are nice looking and cheap but I find them really hard to work. Sony Ericssons also usally have a memory card slot whereas Nokias normally dont.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Ive had a Sony Ericsson for about 2 years and i think its great ($190 new). Nokias are nice looking and cheap but I find them really hard to work. Sony Ericssons also usally have a memory card slot whereas Nokias normally dont.
Wut?
I've only ever had Nokias and they have all had memory card slots.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Protip: Iphone's go for over $800 outright, and N95's aren't cheap.

I'm still on my Sony Ericsson w810i, got it back in March 2007. Goes hard, never had a problem. I know those nokia 6300s are hard to kill as well. I think candybar style phones are the go, no sliders or clamshell pieces to accidentally break off.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Im just gonna go for a 6300. Does everything I want for roughly $150 and I'm hoping its gonna be hard to break. Out of the four phones I've owned, the screen has broken on every single one. Not a good track record.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im just gonna go for a 6300. Does everything I want for roughly $150 and I'm hoping its gonna be hard to break. Out of the four phones I've owned, the screen has broken on every single one. Not a good track record.
i have one and pegged it against a wall still works, but has HORRID battery life. was bought overseas though, but many had batt probs. anyone else have this?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
That Samsung is pretty shit, dude.. My girlfriend, my mum and two other friends have them. Always having problems with them, shittier battery life than my 8 month old iPhone, and total shit to use. The touch screen is useless in comparison to an iPhone and offers no benefit over a regular buttoned phone. It's also annoying because you can feel the internals vibrate every time you touch a "button" on the screen.
There is a button called 'turn vibration off' just for that.

Still vibrates for messages, but doesn't make a sound or vibrate when using the touch screen.

They have a few massive flaws, but they aren't bad.

I don't use high screen brightness, set it to fade quickly and don't set it to vibrate everytime I touch a 'button', and the battery life is pretty good.

That said, my favourite phone has still been my Sony Ericsson K800i.

It had a xenon flash on the camera, a good sensor, a sliding lens cap. All in all, a good camera, and a rock solid phone. But, it inherited the Sony Ericsson's crap connectors problem and it stopped recognising sim cards and charging consistently.

The samsung phone isn't amazing, but it isn't bad. It feels solid, the touch screen works consistently, the sound is great, the camera is good in daylight.

But, the language and exit buttons are too close to the keyboard when texting. The sms memory capacity is pretty shocking. If you don't use the pretty damn cool cover thingy, the stainless backing gets scratched.

It has potential though. And the main screen is fun to navigate.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There is a button called 'turn vibration off' just for that.
Hm, really? I didn't realise that - it was such a tiny vibration (not like when it vibrates for an incoming message or call) I just assumed it was not a function and rather a bi-product of the way it works.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
When I got it, the little buzz was the most annoying thing I've ever felt. It can indeed be turned off.

It is, in nature, a very solid phone. The charging/data jack is great quality, the internals don't move, and the casing doesn't chip or crack when you inadvertently drop it.

N95s are disappointing, just for the record. My mate had one, hated it, and a waitress knocked it off a table, and the back cover fell through the decking into the estuary below. Laughed my tits off.

Tits. Were off.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Having a dig rather than starting something new...

I've got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro currently and apparently I can't make 000 calls anymore, which given what we do, solo at times, isn't ideal.

So I'm looking at something new, Android, around the $500 mark.

I see the Google Pixel 7A around there and I see brands like Oppo, Xiaomi but really know nothing about them...

Any experience with any of those or any other suggestions?

PJO

in me vL comy
My budget was the same about 7 months ago when I was buying a new phone. I nearly bought a Pixel 7A and I would've but at the time it was about $650 at the time. My bro in law has the Pixel 6A and it is good.
I ended up with a Smasung Galaxy A54 which was exactly on budget. Works well good camera, has a bit of bloatware but otherwise does everything I want and more.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Having a dig rather than starting something new...

I've got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro currently and apparently I can't make 000 calls anymore, which given what we do, solo at times, isn't ideal.

So I'm looking at something new, Android, around the $500 mark.

I see the Google Pixel 7A around there and I see brands like Oppo, Xiaomi but really know nothing about them...

Any experience with any of those or any other suggestions?
Can you make 112 calls? This is the number that tells a mobile to try and get an emergency call out in any network that has reception.

Xiaomi are really good, but pricing has gone up as they become more recognised. The Motorola edge range are good value, especially second hand. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1756415...ar=475000044971&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And review https://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_edge_30_pro-review-2402.php

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I had a cheap Huawei Chinese whispers phone as my personal phone and I was given a Samsung S21 FE by my work. The S21 FE was around the $500 mark.

I don't like the Samsung phone ui compared to the Huawei ui that my personal phone had.

I recently replaced the Huawei with a Motorola G84 which whilst the Motorola android ui was a learning curve I really like it now and the only thing I would say the Samsung does better is take better photos. But in saying that the G84 was only $349.

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Also settled on the A54 when comparing between that & the Pixel 7a. Never had a Sammy before (was coming from the Pixel 4a) & as mentioned, there's a bit of bloatware, but the A54 meets my simple needs & is supposed to get 5 years of support/updates.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The newer flagship phones now have or will have satellite modems. Iphone 14/15 already has one way emergency text, the S25 might have 2 way and the Pixel 9 will have 1 way.

Pretty good and I believe Apple is free for the first 3yrs and so far and they have never stated if there will ever be a charge after that.

Considering Spot charge $20 a month for basic and you have to actually be carrying the additional spot unit for it to be any use.

A great addition for MTBers and anyone doing activities that can take them places with no mobile reception.

My next phone will certainly have this feature.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
The newer flagship phones now have or will have satellite modems. Iphone 14/15 already has one way emergency text, the S25 might have 2 way and the Pixel 9 will have 1 way.

Pretty good and I believe Apple is free for the first 3yrs and so far and they have never stated if there will ever be a charge after that.

Considering Spot charge $20 a month for basic and you have to actually be carrying the additional spot unit for it to be any use.

A great addition for MTBers and anyone doing activities that can take them places with no mobile reception.

My next phone will certainly have this feature.
The apple iphone sat messenger ain't that good from what I could work out. You need to find out what Sat system/company they use. I saw somewhere apple said they would be charging for there message systemn when they work the bugs out.

This sat system is better but they don't cover Australia and won't anytime soon. A couple of companies have gone bust trying to get their sat mobile message system up and running and making it profitable.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The apple iphone sat messenger ain't that good from what I could work out. You need to find out what Sat system/company they use. I saw somewhere apple said they would be charging for there message systemn when they work the bugs out.
Apple did 2 yrs free and added another year for iphone 14 users. I dont do apple stuff so will have to wait till it comes on on Samsung or Pixel.

Reports online say is works pretty good for a new application, which can only get better.