Mobile Phone Recommendations

Sam.

Eats Squid
Ok, here's the deal. Im stuck on a plan with Austar mobile, my current plan runs out in just over a year and I am not paying the exit fees to get off the plan. My current phone got f*cked to the point of the screen falling off (don't ask), I can still make calls but thats where it ends. So, I need a newy.

Basically:
  • I'm looking to spend around $250
  • Phone must have a reasonably big screen, Im thinking something with a touch screen could be the go.
  • Camera is not important, something around 2 mega pixels would most probably be fine.
  • Must have either a shitload of internal memory or a memory card slot.
  • Must be unlocked, or easily unlocked

I don't want anything Motorola, apart from that my options are pretty well open. Would I be better off buying from Ebay, or from a mobile dealer?

I've considered something like a 1st gen i phone second hand, or maybe an LG ku990, though I vaguely remember being told to steer clear from LG. Any other recommendations?

Peace.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
To be honest, Sam, you'd be best off just buying a shitty $75 Nokia and an iPod.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure what the current round of phones are like, but every Nokia I've owned has been absolutely legendary.

Maurice.

Banned
Don't get the iphone, I fucken hate it! it's purely just for looks.
I have often contemplated just switching to a nokia N95, seeing as that is more of a useful phone, than the iphone.

Mabes an N97 or a Hiptop?

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
To be honest, Sam, you'd be best off just buying a shitty $75 Nokia and an iPod.
bingo. i had a $60 nokia. Great battery life. all i used it for was calling and txting. the only reason i got a new one was because im taking part in a uni study.
but $60 - $100 phone is the go!

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have an N95 it is fine althought he screen freezes occasionally and there is a bit of a lag when engaging different functions when the memory (8gig +) is full.

Battler

Likes Dirt
I would just save yourself the trouble and go a simple nokia that wont break. Those phones just go and go. In proof i used to play hackie sack with mine, still works to this day. No joke.

instinct

Likes Dirt
Please do not buy a ku990, heaps of shit they are. Unless you have enough to get the newer viewty (viewty smart) I would stay away from LG.
I'd always sell you my viewty for $200.....

fairy1

Banned
Please do not buy a ku990, heaps of shit they are. Unless you have enough to get the newer viewty (viewty smart) I would stay away from LG.
I'd always sell you my viewty for $200.....
What he said, I'm about to see what a 50t hydraulic press can do to mine. I'll send it back to the fuckers arterwards.

Sam.

Eats Squid
I tried the whole cheapo phone coupled with I phone thing. It didn't work for me, I just enjoy having all rolled into one... the ultimate consumer as they say:p

Im really liking the idea of the Samsung f480, you seem to be able to pick them up for around $280 on Ebay which I could stretch my budget to. Anywhere else to go looking for phones online, or is ebay pretty much the recognized way for getting phones cheap?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That Samsung is pretty shit, dude.. My girlfriend, my mum and two other friends have them. Always having problems with them, shittier battery life than my 8 month old iPhone, and total shit to use. The touch screen is useless in comparison to an iPhone and offers no benefit over a regular buttoned phone. It's also annoying because you can feel the internals vibrate every time you touch a "button" on the screen.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Nokia 6300. $150 or there abouts as an outright phone. You're not likely to break it in a hurry, that's for sure.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My vote would be an iPhone.
Currently using a HTC Touch at the moment, with Windows Mobile. Its not bad, not had any problems in last 2 years with it. Looking to upgrade to iPhone 3Gs soon.