Mixed drinks?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I just blended up a big bag of lychees and some lime juice. What would y'all suggest would go with it?

Just got my hands on a bottle of Sailor Jerry's... What does spiced rum go well with??

Oh yeah, the cum bomb.

1 shot baileys
1 shot lime cordial...

you fill in the gaps
Spiced rum works really well with Guinness and Coke. You can adjust the levels of Guinness and Coke according to taste but I found half/half to work well.

As for the cum bomb, you're supposed to get your unsuspecting victim to take a mouthful of Bailey's first THEN pour in the lime cordial

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
YEah I got the sexy bartender to do one with me at the local! needless to say i only had the baileys!

I'm off to buy some Guinness

loc81

Likes Dirt
Sounds really interesting! Might try that one.

Speaking of drink mixes, is it possible to make a Flaming Homer?
Not sure but I'm keen to find out!
"I don't know the scientific explanation, but fire made it good.."

Bikes, booze, friends and music.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
wow.. browsing farkin for the first time in forever and just invented a drink and this thread pops up! it's destiny. B+T. bourbon and peach ice tea. portion to taste. i find jimmy black works nicely. sorry for the terrible grammar, turns out i made some a bit tooo potent

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
If your not after class, mix it with the lime solo to your preferred taste.

Opinions on Monte Alban? I can't stand that Jose Cuervo Stuff.
Tequila is my spirit of choice. If I am drinking cheap tequila, I drink Jose Cuervo Black. Specifically the Black. It isn't a pure agave tequila so isn't great, but has been aged properly so is a whole lot less violent than most of the cheap stuff. . Approximately $50 a bottle at Dan Murphies last time I bought some.

If I'm spending a bit more, 1800 anejo is good, prices vary depending on where you look and it is readily available. 100% agave so tastes like real tequila and relatively smooth. Fairly clean taste aswell.

If I am really looking for a good tequila, Tres generaciones Anejo is amazing. My favourite tequila of all time. All kinds of flavours and very smooth. This one I never mix with anything-just serve chilled in a glass.

I'm not a huge fan of Patron, it seems to be popular more due to massive advertising campaign than any merit of the spirit. Still, some people like it so give it a try. It is a very clean taste.

Monte Alban is a Mezcal. Mezcal is basically spirit made from agave NOT from the Tequila region. Kind of like Australia sparkling wine is to French champagne. Mezcals vary significantly in quality and it is rare to find one I would drink a second time voluntarily.

Generally stay away from Silver tequila, it is usually about 51% agave and 49% fermented sugar. So tastes like crap and will make your head hurt like hell. Gold and up Tequilas are usually 100% agave so taste like real tequila and won't make your head hurt like hell.

Oh, and nothing mixes well with cheap tequila. To quote Dylan Moran, "It's just a way of getting the police around to your house without using a telephone"

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
"It's just a way of getting the police around to your house without using a telephone"
Brilliant.

The 'gold, silver' etc you speak of are more industry codes than anything. You've got blanco and joven tequilas that are unaged. Nothing is THAT wrong with mixing agave tequila with fermeted sugar neutral spirit. If done right, you'd probably get less of a hangy than some poorly made full agaves. The nicer tequilas are reposado and anejo designation - aged in barrels for some period below 3 years.

A little off the mark on mezcal. Mezcal IS NOT tequila. It uses agave that's been smoked (burnt/something done to it with fire) which gives it the really smokey flavour. It doesn't have to be from tequila obviously. Heaps of cheap mezcal flooded the US market and has a pretty poor rep.

Tequila not from Tequila, Mexico is called Agave Spirit. There are some great ones. I think we'll be seeing some come out of Aus in the next few years.

As for my drink of choice? 60mL of a nice robust gin (cadenheads, plym or something) shaken with a sprig of mint, little lemon juice and a whole gang of ice. Called a 'south side'. Brilliant drink.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I'm spending a bit more, 1800 anejo is good, prices vary depending on where you look and it is readily available. 100% agave so tastes like real tequila and relatively smooth. Fairly clean taste aswell.

Monte Alban is a Mezcal. Mezcal is basically spirit made from agave NOT from the Tequila region. Kind of like Australia sparkling wine is to French champagne. Mezcals vary significantly in quality and it is rare to find one I would drink a second time voluntarily.
Little history on the Mezcal. It's actually not quite as you said, but made from a different strain of agave than tequila it. However, it's used as a broad term to define the category of agave spirit that tequila in fact falls in. So tequila IS mezcal, but not the other way around. Slightly different production process too....p.s 1800 is made by Cuervo anyway if I'm not mistaken? I'll use it in some cocktails, but won't have it straight. Diegeo just took over Cuervo from the old owners so it'll be interesting to see if they drop the cash on developing the product or more mass marketing...

The 'gold, silver' etc you speak of are more industry codes than anything. You've got blanco and joven tequilas that are unaged. Nothing is THAT wrong with mixing agave tequila with fermeted sugar neutral spirit. If done right, you'd probably get less of a hangy than some poorly made full agaves. The nicer tequilas are reposado and anejo designation - aged in barrels for some period below 3 years.
Gold and silver are more marketing terms but the gold color doesn't come from being aged any longer, they're just added caramels and flavours. There are some nicer silvers on the market (blancos are referred to as silvers or whites) just make sure they're 100% blue agave, not mixtos. Jovens are almost always mixtos. Reposados ('rested') are nicer, but again get the color from additives not aging; by law reposados have to be aged between 60-365 days in Mexico. Try the Don Julio Reposodo, its really good, about $80 a bottle from DM's. Anejos (aged) are my favourite but it's expensive to get some beautiful ones; these are wood aged for at least a year (by law) hence the hefty price tag!

I just blended up a big bag of lychees and some lime juice. What would y'all suggest would go with it?
Lychee caipiroska, perfect for summer.

Just mash up 2-3 lychees (maybe two big tablespoons of your mix?) with quarter of a small lime. Tiny bit of a simple syrup to sweeten to your taste (traditionally, raw sugar is the go), mix it all through some crushed ice and stir- beautiful!

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Little history on the Mezcal. It's actually not quite as you said, but made from a different strain of agave than tequila it. However, it's used as a broad term to define the category of agave spirit that tequila in fact falls in.
Source for that? Because I'm pretty positive Mezcal is 1) a different agave varietal and 2) roasted agave. Hence the smokey flavour. Tequila is unroasted blue agave, so i find it hard to believe you could call a tequila a mezcal.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Sailor Jerry Rum based Caipirinha

A drink for wine-wanker types like myself.

This has become my favorite drink. Instead of using (Grappa-esq) Cachaça, I use Sailor Jerry spiced rum, available at Dan Murphy of course. Like all cocktails that use some sweetener like sugar, its best made using sugar syrup made from Demerara raw sugar (not white, castor, brown etc. Must be raw) essentially a liquid that's of a honey consistency, which enables you to better control the sweetness of the drink and the speed at which you make them (3 parts sugar 1 part water, brought to the simmer then turned off, stirring). There is a growing art in the selection and usage of sugar in cocktails. Demerara sugar is the best, goes well with the rum and lime.

You need:
- About 1/4 cup Chopped fresh lime, cut into sixteenths
- 60ml (or more!) spiced rum
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1 Tbs sugar syrup

1) In a cocktail shaker, muddle the lime for about 5 seconds, overdoing it will release too much acidity from the rind.
2) Add the ice, about 2/3rds from the top of the shaker.
3) Add liquid ingredients, rum and syrup
4) Shake vigorously for about 5-10 seconds, no more.

Serve in a heavy tumbler. You can also add some mineral/soda water to get a cleaner taste. Perfect for those sunset afternoons prior to a large night out. Gets the ladies int the mood for a good time too!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Source for that? Because I'm pretty positive Mezcal is 1) a different agave varietal and 2) roasted agave. Hence the smokey flavour. Tequila is unroasted blue agave, so i find it hard to believe you could call a tequila a mezcal.
Sure, see Dale DeGroff's book, it's my bible. But what you said just now is what I said? It's smoked with wood charcoal and a different agave strain mostly.....Tequila is a form of mezcal, but not the other way.

The crossover is also in the fact that mezcal CAN (but not often) be made from the same blue agave as tequila. Mezcal refers to spirits using one of eight (I think? or six) varieties of agave or maguey plants in the process. Moreso, it's not restricted to have been produced from the designated 5 states in mexico.

Tequila blue agave is steam baked in ovens, whereas mezcal is baked in underground ovens over wood charcoal- that's how it gets its smoky flavor. Also is the one with the notorious worm (which is not actually a worm...)in the bottle, not tequila

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Little history on the Mezcal. It's actually not quite as you said, but made from a different strain of agave than tequila it. However, it's used as a broad term to define the category of agave spirit that tequila in fact falls in. So tequila IS mezcal, but not the other way around. Slightly different production process too....p.s 1800 is made by Cuervo anyway if I'm not mistaken? I'll use it in some cocktails, but won't have it straight. Diegeo just took over Cuervo from the old owners so it'll be interesting to see if they drop the cash on developing the product or more mass marketing...
I stand corrected on the Mezcal-I thought the only real distinction was where it was from. Interesting though. I was aware 1800 was made by Cuervo, but it still stands as a relatively cheap relatively good 100% agave tequila that is readily available. Try the Tres Generaciones Anejo. I tried a bunch of Tequilas when I was in Mexico and it was my favourite. $80ish dollars a bottle at http://www.beerstore.com.au/spirits/tequila/tres-generations-anejo.

Hopefully the take over of Cuervo brings about an improvement in their baseline tequilas. In reality, I expect Cuervo to do the same thing as Bud-light and just sponsor the hell out of everything until people start drinking it.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Don't hate too much on Diageo, they're not the devils you make them out to be and they've got some (hundreds) of really nice launches in the past 10 years.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't hate too much on Diageo, they're not the devils you make them out to be and they've got some (hundreds) of really nice launches in the past 10 years.
Hey nothing against them, they have their base level products like everyone :) But Cuervo is one of their base products, designed for mass appeal. Just like Smirnoff. But anyway, fingers crossed for them!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Who knew tequila would be such a can of agave worms?

How about vodka? Nerd it up people!
Ciroc is a big favorite of mine. Being distilled 5 times and made from grapes gives it a uniquely crisp aspect.

Really can't stand the flavour infused versions floating around - with the one exception of 42 below feijoa.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
42 below feijoa.
I was just about to reprimand you on that one! It makes some amazing flavours in cocktails too :) I love Polish vodkas best, belvedere intense when I can spring for it usually I'll settle for absolut.... or just this stuff if the goal is just to get messed up....Not technically a vodka but enjoy ;)

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Vodka ay? I've just recently polished off my last bottle of Broken Shed, easily putting Grey Goose/42 below et al to shame. I'm not a spirit connoisseur, so I still mixed most of the bottle, but irrespective it was easily the nicest vodka I've drunk straight.

And at NZ$45 a bottle in Wanaka, it's even better!

Last edited: