Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LITTLE FUCKING SHITS!!!!!!!!

so i went down stairs to get this crown race i machined up last weekend to post to a bloke and low and behold the little shits have stolen it family is not to be trusted! will be having to make a new one tomorrow!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
anyone machined carbon before? i need to make some little tiny wheels

sub 1g 20mm diameter 10-8mm thick with a 2mm axle, bugger all weight on them

injection moulded parts are to heavy at 1.5g and to uneven, the delrin ones a made are goo but still to heavy at 1.2g
Machining Carbon? eep, thaht would hairy!

Delrin and Carbon are vastly different from eachother though. What are they for? Id like to see some pictures of this.

BTW - Im a Fitter/turner by trade, doing mostly NC work at the moment... no juicy pics at the moment though!

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeh i know they are, delrin is lighter and stronger for this application i found out today that these cars can NOT but under 55grams but the team and i have decided to make car for racing and a car for beating the shit out of people attempts at fast cars, i'm some how allowed to compete in a schools competition as a "sponsor" but i'm just the bloke that builds and helps design shit

here is some chumps car of the googles and is generally what they are munis the detachable parts

mine i hope to get down to 15 grams minus the co2 canister i want a proof of concept car that we can build a car that kicks shit day in day out!

Pentagliders-Car.jpg

nskz

Likes Dirt
I don't really understand how you can say Delrin is stronger than Carbon? Lighter, sure, if only by a tiny bit per unit volume but Delrin's Tensile strength is 10% that of laminated carbon (rough figures) and it's Flexural modulus is so low comparatively it's hilarious. And you can cut it with HSS tooling easily in my experience, just make sure it's sharp. Seat of the pants engineering but if you can make a Delrin wheel weighing 1g, you could make a Carbon one weighing ~0.3g easily (there's only so much material you can remove from the central hub area). Like you say though expensive and not that nice to work with.

Last edited:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't really understand how you can say Delrin is stronger than Carbon? Lighter, sure, if only by a tiny bit per unit volume but Delrin's Tensile strength is 10% that of laminated carbon (rough figures) and it's Flexural modulus is so low comparatively it's hilarious. And you can cut it with HSS tooling easily in my experience, just make sure it's sharp. Seat of the pants engineering but if you can make a Delrin wheel weighing 1g, you could make a Carbon one weighing ~0.3g easily (there's only so much material you can remove from the central hub area). Like you say though expensive and not that nice to work with.
this is what my cousin chris said, keeping in mind he had diploma in this sort of stuff, dunno what its called though but he's been allover to world for his job so i'm goning tio be very inclined to listen to him!

density of delrin is 1.4 g/cc, carbon composite is about 1.6 g/cc

sorry 20mm dia x 3mm thick is 0.94 cc

so it is 1.32g

aluminium is 2.7g/cc

he knows his shit and for the application the carbo would have to be more heavily build to compensate for the thickness, where as delrin would no andi could just machine

just to all also if you breath in carbon fibers its like aspestos and if you get it in the slides of the lathe and cant get it out it'll kill the lathe, because tha carbon fibers are harder than steel they'll scratch and wear the bed over time and cause slop, for all intensive purposes delrin is the superior material!

nskz

Likes Dirt
Does the wheel have to be solid and is the design pre determined? If this is the case then that is the single only scenario where you can build a lighter wheel out of Delrin that will be adequately strong enough. If the wheel does not have to be solid you could build a significantly lighter wheel out of aluminium or carbon by utilising their strength advantages over Delrin. Expense is a different story but if the true goal is the lightest possible wheel and the design is not pre determined, Delrin would not be my go to material ;)

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well you also need to keep aero in mind, if i use an alli whel with holes in it the wholes will cause too much drag, the solid delrin wheels would be better

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Carbon and carbon composite and 2 different things, you didn't say composite before ..
Could you knife edge the wheels so you have less contact?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what are the o-rings on the front and rear for?
they are for a cable guide so the cars do fly away, the co2 canisters apparently have a habbit of bursting on one side first causing and uneven launch, like it 1 wheel on your car griped and the other one didn't, it'd throw you sideways, this is the same

Carbon and carbon composite and 2 different things, you didn't say composite before ..
Could you knife edge the wheels so you have less contact?
the wheels will be knife edged regardless of material

well ccarbo or carbon composite eithre way, to heavy and expensive and messy abd just yucky

the wheels will be about .9mm thck with a knife edge, like a mini pizza cutter

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[video=youtube;PbdgUBwKcsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbdgUBwKcsg[/video]
Wrap your eyeballs around this beast lads.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Oh yeah I agree, I think programming something like that is just as impressive as watching the machine strutt it's stuff.
That's just why I'm trying to convince the boss to set up mastercam at work. I'm so sick of programming line by line. Not to mention I can't do 3d surfacing! Impressive machining though. I was having a play on mazak integrex for a few months last year, good fun!

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'll post it up soon but i'm thinking of convertin and eh dash/instrument panel i have into a radio

thoughts?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
here is the dash.

i'm thinking speedo as the tuning, fuel gauge as volume and idiot lights as am/fm/fm stereo

what do you think?

1-IMG_9693.JPG