Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Pro tip for you budding CAD guys, You cannot laser cut a hole smaller than the thickness of the material.

If it's 10mm plate you can't cut a 9mm hole, laser cutters don't like it and the hole ends up tappered.

Don't laser cut a tapping size hole into your laser cut plate either, you will kill Taps very quickly and Taps aren't cheap. Laser cutting hardens the cut edge of the material.

While on tapping, Don't use "Goliath" brand of taps EVER..... I have had lots of problems with them back cutting the thread when removing the tap and won't use them period.

Counter sink EVERY hole all the time and ALWAYS counter sink before tapping anything.
Counter sink 0.5mm bigger in Ø than what your tapping size is. eg M10, counter sink so that the Ø equals 10.5mm

Last edited:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i agree with most of your principles but i would not say counter sink EVERY hole, deburr the hole if it has a burr but dont no countersink every hole, the true meaning of "countersinking" is to drill or what ever into your material so that the head or a bolt, screw, nut etc is flush or sits below the surface of the work, you dont want this with everyjob, most jobs you want the opposite, deburr edges and countersink where necessary

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Yeah ok, I should have said chamfer instead ... You use a countersink for counter sunk cap screws, whereas you use a counter bore for the others you've mentioned.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
You're basically right UDH, it's a box with 1 hole in and 4 out.

It fits to this and spreads the boost over the carbies equally.

You can only see the side of the plenum when fitted, It's under the rear of the tank.

I did everything on this bike other than weld the intercooler, I was a shitty Ally welded at the time.
haha thats pretty cool looking street fighter, kinda looks like a tank of a Fazer? but not much else does.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Advice needed!

I'm looking at picking up a floor standing drill press in the near future but am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cheap house brand imports in the market at the moment.

Any advice/reviews from those who own any of the sub $500 models? things to look out for?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also a heads up to all the new kids on the scene you dont buy your machinery or tool from bummings if you want good tools

personally i run almost completely hafco (hare & forbes) stuff, just what i've grown up with and what i like

if you're in the act you'd go to some were like fisher discounts to buy tools but if you after big machinery you'd be better off going to the manufacturer

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Bunnings do sell some ok stuff.

For instance, I bought my 6" Record Vice from there, and also my cordless 18v li-ion Makita 1/2" drive impact gun, which is fantastic.

they will also price match and minus 10% so use that to your advantage after surfing the internet for the best price you can find.

Cheers

SummitFever

Eats Squid
There are some amazing deals around currently on full size second hand mills and lathes. Sadly, many engineering and manufacturing firms currently going under and full size machines are not popular with the hobbyist crowd who will pay stupid money for some benchtop toy.

I never thought we'd have one of these (especially as a second mill) but the price was too good to pass up. We saw it at auction, put in a stupid bid and ended up taking it home...

We're currently going through it from top to bottom and so far no nasty surprises. Bit of wear on the feed screws, touch of corrosion on the bed. They are a very solid machine and unbelievably well made and thought out. Can't wait to see the chips fly.

If you are in any way mechanically minded and you have the workshop space, I'd recommend getting good quality older machines for less $$$ than new Chinese made stuff. You may have to fix some things, but the parts will be available and there are plenty of people that you can ask for advice. I am yet to see any of that Chinese made stuff that really speaks quality. They may get there in the end, but its all made to a price point which includes suprisingly little after sales service, spare parts etc.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Bunnings do sell some ok stuff.

For instance, I bought my 6" Record Vice from there, and also my cordless 18v li-ion Makita 1/2" drive impact gun, which is fantastic.

they will also price match and minus 10% so use that to your advantage after surfing the internet for the best price you can find.

Cheers
can you compare the prices to anywhere online? including ebay stores?

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I found it online on ebay for $189 and at bunnings it was $225

I went to the ebay sellers actual website (large tool shop in sydney) and it was also $189 incuding delivery.

I printed that out and went to Bunnings and they did it for 170ish.

But interestingly I have just checked the same tool shop now and their price on their actual site is now $225. Their ebay store is still 189$ though.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are some amazing deals around currently on full size second hand mills and lathes. Sadly, many engineering and manufacturing firms currently going under and full size machines are not popular with the hobbyist crowd who will pay stupid money for some benchtop toy.

I never thought we'd have one of these (especially as a second mill) but the price was too good to pass up. We saw it at auction, put in a stupid bid and ended up taking it home...

We're currently going through it from top to bottom and so far no nasty surprises. Bit of wear on the feed screws, touch of corrosion on the bed. They are a very solid machine and unbelievably well made and thought out. Can't wait to see the chips fly.

If you are in any way mechanically minded and you have the workshop space, I'd recommend getting good quality older machines for less $$$ than new Chinese made stuff. You may have to fix some things, but the parts will be available and there are plenty of people that you can ask for advice. I am yet to see any of that Chinese made stuff that really speaks quality. They may get there in the end, but its all made to a price point which includes suprisingly little after sales service, spare parts etc.
+1 unless you're able to spend tens of thousands on machines for your home set up like me and a few others have been lucky enough to the second hand machines are the way to go!

older more solid built solid and not cheap and shit and 9/10 they'll be a bargin!

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anyone machined carbon before? i need to make some little tiny wheels

sub 1g 20mm diameter 10-8mm thick with a 2mm axle, bugger all weight on them

injection moulded parts are to heavy at 1.5g and to uneven, the delrin ones a made are goo but still to heavy at 1.2g

\m/ Moshboy \m/

Likes Dirt
Not too much makes me squirm, but as someone who works with these Suckers everyday, seeing this & the the potential for it to have end really badly, really quickly sure did-:

[video=youtube;0PzPfzLeDa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzPfzLeDa0[/video]

He's lucky the thing wasn't set to run at 2000 RPM

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Not too much makes me squirm, but as someone who works with these Suckers everyday, seeing this & the the potential for it to have end really badly, really quickly
Oh that could have been so nasty to the hands, head and leg.

We have a policy. If you there is a green light on the machine and you put your hand into that machine then we all casually drop tools and gather around to watch as appropriate carreer refocusing is administered. We have our fun and laughs when we're away from machinery.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Darwin at work right there.....

I've been pulled into a leadscrew on a Lathe while thread cutting, I was lucky.

Scary stuff.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
anyone machined carbon before? i need to make some little tiny wheels

sub 1g 20mm diameter 10-8mm thick with a 2mm axle, bugger all weight on them

injection moulded parts are to heavy at 1.5g and to uneven, the delrin ones a made are goo but still to heavy at 1.2g
Never machine carbon, but I'd say you'd want a nice and sharp piece of HSS.

Have you looked for speeds and feed on the web.

Try CNCzone.com, someone there would have done it.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never machine carbon, but I'd say you'd want a nice and sharp piece of HSS.

Have you looked for speeds and feed on the web.

Try CNCzone.com, someone there would have done it.
checked with my cousin christopher who to my surprise dose it for a job, he researches carbon and plastics and the likes at uni, hss is too soft for carbon, i could've guseed but he confirmed, cut it like mild steel use lots of coolant and use carbide tools

doesn't matter anyway, for the purpose i'll be using it for delrim will be better, he inquired as to what i wanted carbon for and he said to use delrim, lighter, stronger, cheaper and much much nicer to machine!