Manitou mattoc expert 26inch fork

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Beat me to it Boom King! Was going to say if local could borrow the tools needed.

Just searched around and everywhere seems out of stock of the tool kit.

Boom King had some tools modified for his forks not sure cost/complexity.

Easy forks to work on so having the tool kit pays off so you can service yourself.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Beat me to it Boom King! Was going to say if local could borrow the tools needed.

Just searched around and everywhere seems out of stock of the tool kit.

Boom King had some tools modified for his forks not sure cost/complexity.

Easy forks to work on so having the tool kit pays off so you can service yourself.
Yep, had a fellow burner turn down the OD on a long 8mm socket to 10mm and cut a slot out of the side of a Park Tools cassette tool (PF5?). Was cheap and apparently not that difficult if you have the right man shed.

Ordered the kit from DE bikes Germany. $91 later and who knows when it'll show...ha ha..all good

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Have been really happy with my mattoc expert until now..

It's developed a significant 'clunk' on larger hits. The forks feel fine otherwise, but it's when the front wheel leaves the ground and the forks take a hit from full extension there is something clunking inside the forks. I haven't changed the pressure in a while so they haven't lost oil that I'm aware of.

Does anyone have any ideas?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have been really happy with my mattoc expert until now..

It's developed a significant 'clunk' on larger hits. The forks feel fine otherwise, but it's when the front wheel leaves the ground and the forks take a hit from full extension there is something clunking inside the forks. I haven't changed the pressure in a while so they haven't lost oil that I'm aware of.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I had this happen with a different brand of forks a while ago. It turned out that the cartridge in one of the legs had come loose.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I had a clunk develop in my expert but it was on extension, lifting the front etc. Rebound assembly had detached itself and dumped all oil into the lowers.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Everyone loves a simple solution. Did this resolve the clunk?
Well I don't have the mattoc tool kit, but I carefully tightened it with a regular 24mm socket (and it's solved the issue for now).. Will be ordering the kit for peace of mind now

Last edited:

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Off topic, but I've been look at a Minute Pro on CRC for a new bike... but it looks like the 140mm version is sold out (27.5).

Anybody know if the 120mm version can be extended to 140mm?

Can't find info anywhere....