Manitou mattoc expert 26inch fork

mapua

Likes Bikes
Forks arrived, CRC didn't do a good job packaging them. One single layer of bubble wrap and they were sliding around in box too big. They appear to have taken a hit as there's a 2-3mm paint chip just under the seal.

Anyway, they feel very nice so far. Appear to be leaking a bit of oil from the damper side seal. My only real issue is the rebound speed is too fast, even set on the slowest setting they're still quicker than I'd like (waaay faster than the fox 32 they replaced).

Can anyone confirm that these have got a faster than fox rebound? Or should they be comparably slow?
Mine arrived Friday also. In a massive box, loose with only a single piece of bubble wrap. No damage I could see luckily. Only got a quick ride in today and didn't have time to have a good play with settings but out of the box they are miles better than the 55 Micro Air Ti's they have replaced.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My only real issue is the rebound speed is too fast, even set on the slowest setting they're still quicker than I'd like (waaay faster than the fox 32 they replaced).

Can anyone confirm that these have got a faster than fox rebound? Or should they be comparably slow?
Not sure about Fox but definitely way quicker at it's slowest than my X Fusion Sweeps. If it's an early model Expert it will only have 4 clicks of rebound. There is and upgraded rebound assembly, with 8 clicks, available free from Manitou. Also an upgraded air piston seal head as well. I'm guessing the extra adjustment will slow it down but I haven't fitted mine yet.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Not sure about Fox but definitely way quicker at it's slowest than my X Fusion Sweeps. If it's an early model Expert it will only have 4 clicks of rebound. There is and upgraded rebound assembly, with 8 clicks, available free from Manitou. Also an upgraded air piston seal head as well. I'm guessing the extra adjustment will slow it down but I haven't fitted mine yet.
Cheers for that. It appears to have 8 clicks, ruling out the possibility of the newer cart having a slower speed which I'd hoped.

Do you think I'd have any success swapping out the fluid for a heavier weight to slow it down? Or is the going to mess with the compression settings too?

Will have a better look at the exploded diagrams and try and see.

Boom King

Cheers for that. It appears to have 8 clicks, ruling out the possibility of the newer cart having a slower speed which I'd hoped.

Do you think I'd have any success swapping out the fluid for a heavier weight to slow it down? Or is the going to mess with the compression settings too?

Will have a better look at the exploded diagrams and try and see.
I would check fluid level and make sure it's not low. Haven't read of anyone having a problem with the specified fork fluid.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
I would check fluid level and make sure it's not low. Haven't read of anyone having a problem with the specified fork fluid.
Good advice, if anything I thought it would be over filled as it's weeping a little from the seals. Still worth checking - but I'm reluctant to pull it apart as I hardly have a clean work space at the moment. Don't see another option that doesn't involve $$$. Thanks for the tip though

Twosix how much pressure are you running.
I'm 78kg in riding attire +/- a bit. Running 100psi, one click from closed on lsc hsc and hbo

Boom King

Also, chuck up a query on the MTBR thread. Guys in there actually know their shit.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems a bit high. How does that compare to the sticker on fork? Fwiw im ~85 and run 67psi, 2 clicks of hbo and the rest of compression wide open. Is a pro model so chamber may be different vol.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm 78kg in riding attire +/- a bit. Running 100psi, one click from closed on lsc hsc and hbo
Feck. I'm similar weight, and running about half that, with HSC right down, no LSC, and Max bottom out resistance. I do like a softer fork than most though. Try dropping the pressure and playing with compressions

Edit. What he said. ^

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im mid 80s, running 50psi also, but with an IRT. What travel setting do you have it in?

According to the set up guide (https://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/46-31067_Mattoc_Set-up_Guide.pdf) you should be between 48-68psi depending on the travel setting you have it in, most people find those settings to be over sprung so Id say you're very over sprung. Drop your pressure till you get 30% sag and report back how you find the rebound after that.

Last edited:

Boom King

Just got some Supergliss and 2.5wt Motorex oil off Dougal at Shockcraft. They also sent me the upgraded air piston seal head, which I already have.

If anyone needs the new air piston seal, let me know and I'll bung it in the mail.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got some Supergliss and 2.5wt Motorex oil off Dougal at Shockcraft. They also sent me the upgraded air piston seal head, which I already have.

If anyone needs the new air piston seal, let me know and I'll bung it in the mail.
How did u go getting oils shipped, no issues?

deano

Likes Dirt
Boom king, I'd love to take the air piston off you, I got the new rebound assembly from manitou in the states but not the piston. Pm you details?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Boom King

Boom king, I'd love to take the air piston off you, I got the new rebound assembly from manitou in the states but not the piston. Pm you details?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
I'm afraid someone got in before you deano. Manitou will send you one if you ask them.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Reading people's setups on the previous page was interesting.

Pro @ 160mm / 27.5
~86 geared
55psi
2 LSC
1 HSC
2 HBO
3 Rebound

Hi all,

My expert (second hand/ set at 150 according to the bike I bought it from) was all good for the first 10 or so hours of riding and has now developed the suck down issue! Letting all of the air out and pulling it back up seems to have fixed that aspect, BUT, WHEN I try and push the fork down when air is out it only goes down to 130mm of travel and stops hard?

Any ideas on what might be happening?

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk