Manitou mattoc expert 26inch fork

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Love my Mattoc, had them for about a year now I guess... still don't even feel like they need their first service.
Still stiction-free, lovely and plush.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Just ordered the Mattoc Expert on CRC for $558,

been wading through the 36 pages on mtbr, but I'm hoping someone can give me a straight answer,

what should I do to the fork out the box? if anything? Pull apart and check oil levels / adjust poppet valve ?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Just ordered the Mattoc Expert on CRC for $558,

been wading through the 36 pages on mtbr, but I'm hoping someone can give me a straight answer,

what should I do to the fork out the box? if anything? Pull apart and check oil levels / adjust poppet valve ?
Ride it, if no issues, keep riding it.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Option b, pressurise and check poppet protrusion. If in spec, leave it. Check all visible caps, nuts and screws are torqued enough. And if you cbf check damper height. Previous posters with more recent builds have said the itens Ive mentioned are no longer an issue so u might be good to go. Whats that build date on the box and fork itwelf out of curiosity?

moorey

call me Mia
Ride it, if no issues, keep riding it.
Second.
Boomer looked at my poppet valve protrusion and thought it fine, so I'm just riding the fuckers. There's a minor rattle, but mine are the notorious 2014's, so I'm keeping an ear out, but hoping for the best. Our of the box, they feel fantastic. I'm running the HSC at minimum, with bottom out cranked up, and lower air pressure than recommended. Too stiff for me at suggested pressures.

Boom King

Just check everything is done up properly. Rebound knob has been known to fall off.

Check how many clicks of rebound you have? If only 4, contact Manitou in the USA and ask them to send you the upgraded rebound assembly and air piston head. Pull the thing down when you need to install the upgrades.

I should have a thin walled socket and modified cassette tool soon. More than happy to lend them to anyone needing to open up their Mattoc.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mr King was there any special requirement to get the updated parts from Manitou or straightforward email request?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Second.
Boomer looked at my poppet valve protrusion and thought it fine, so I'm just riding the fuckers. There's a minor rattle, but mine are the notorious 2014's, so I'm keeping an ear out, but hoping for the best. Our of the box, they feel fantastic. I'm running the HSC at minimum, with bottom out cranked up, and lower air pressure than recommended. Too stiff for me at suggested pressures.
Hey mate there's nothing that should be rattling in there. Sure it's not the brake hose? also what's your damper oil level and LSC like?

As mine have broken in a bit I've upped the pressure, but still lower than suggested on the sticker.

moorey

call me Mia
Hey mate there's nothing that should be rattling in there. Sure it's not the brake hose? also what's your damper oil level and LSC like?

As mine have broken in a bit I've upped the pressure, but still lower than suggested on the sticker.
Haven't cracked them open to look at levels. LSC doesn't do a lot, so maybe a bit low. Not the brake Jose.....I don't think....:behindsofa:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Mine are new from the box as well and have a small rattle. Sounds like something sliding up and down if you turn the fork upside down and back upright again.

Boom King

Mr King was there any special requirement to get the updated parts from Manitou or straightforward email request?
Do you have an Expert? If so and if it's an early model with 4 clicks of rebound, Manitou will send you the upgrades FOC.

Email techsupport@hayesbicycle.com and just tell them you've read about the upgraded rebound and air piston seal head.

mapua

Likes Bikes
Just ordered a 2016 set of these from CRC. Reviews I found seem to rate them pretty well. Not as good as a Pike or 34 but only half the price so keen to see how they perform.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Option b, pressurise and check poppet protrusion. If in spec, leave it. Check all visible caps, nuts and screws are torqued enough. And if you cbf check damper height. Previous posters with more recent builds have said the itens Ive mentioned are no longer an issue so u might be good to go. Whats that build date on the box and fork itwelf out of curiosity?
Thanks for that, appreciate your reply. Haven't actually received the forks yet so I cant tell you. Hope they are the later versions but cant be sure

Last edited:

Boom King

Modified 8mm socket and cassette tool.
Now I can fit the upgraded rebound and seal head.

Thanks heaps stoo, love your work!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's nice, I was just looking at them on Dougal's shockcraft site. I tried grinding my own 8mm socket down to a thin wall a while back, it cracked.

Reckon there might be a few 'burners in the market for such a tool.

TwoSix

Likes Bikes
Forks arrived, CRC didn't do a good job packaging them. One single layer of bubble wrap and they were sliding around in box too big. They appear to have taken a hit as there's a 2-3mm paint chip just under the seal.

Anyway, they feel very nice so far. Appear to be leaking a bit of oil from the damper side seal. My only real issue is the rebound speed is too fast, even set on the slowest setting they're still quicker than I'd like (waaay faster than the fox 32 they replaced).

Can anyone confirm that these have got a faster than fox rebound? Or should they be comparably slow?

Boom King

My only real issue is the rebound speed is too fast, even set on the slowest setting they're still quicker than I'd like (waaay faster than the fox 32 they replaced).

Can anyone confirm that these have got a faster than fox rebound? Or should they be comparably slow?
Can't say that I've ever checked at it's slowest but I will later this afternoon and report back.