Lyrik or Pike?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A Mezzer would be overkill for the riding you've described, and would be heavier than a Pike or Lyrik so you get the extra weight without much benefit. There's isn't much between a Pike or Lyrik at 150/160mm, you should be able to pick up a Pike Ultimate for the same or slightly less than a new Mezzer (secondhand), that's what I'd be doing.

LPG

likes thicc birds
A Mezzer would be overkill for the riding you've described, and would be heavier than a Pike or Lyrik so you get the extra weight without much benefit. There's isn't much between a Pike or Lyrik at 150/160mm, you should be able to pick up a Pike Ultimate for the same or slightly less than a new Mezzer (secondhand), that's what I'd be doing.
Pretty sure the mezzer is as light as the lyric. It's pretty amazing how light it is while being so burly and feature rich

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This has been my thinking to a large degree; a mezzer is more fork than this bike, or my riding requires. It is heavier than the Lyrik, but only .04 of a kg, according to reviews. The complex setup and dialing in also doesn't enthuse me, I'm happy with something around the standard of the Lyrik/Pike.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Pretty sure the mezzer is as light as the lyric. It's pretty amazing how light it is while being so burly and feature rich
Yeah I’ve got a Mezzer on the Highlander, ridden the Lyric Ultimate on the Revel.

Both outstanding forks; Lyric had the edge for small bump, Mezzer sublime on bigger hits. I’d gladly run either if it came down to availability.

Formula Selva are also available locally, but pricey.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Few years back had a Trek Remedy with a pike 150mm , then upgraded to a newer trek remedy with a Lyric 160mm ,

In general riding not much difference but the lyric felt noticeably more supportive when the hits got bigger,

Now have a lyric 170mm on a mega .

I think the pike is great for trail riding at around 150mm ,and like has been mentioned should be fine for what you have described ,

but no doubt the lyric is better for descending and more enduro style riding and its probably only at that end you would notice a great deal of difference

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but the lyric felt noticeably more supportive when the hits got bigger,
(..)
but no doubt the lyric is better for descending and more enduro style riding and its probably only at that end you would notice a great deal of difference
I'm with you on that. Having ridden a Pike Ultimate and Lyrik Ultimate (both with & without Smashpot) both general trail riding, and sending it down Derby & Maydena, the Lyrik definitely stands up to repeated and deeper hits better & feels more supportive to a degree - i'd put it down to the increased chassis stiffness. That said, the Pike isn't a slouch either & stood up to a hammering down double blacks just fine, if not with a touch more roughness.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I think the main advantage of the Pike is its power to weight ratio (for want of a better term) is pretty good? 1800ish grams for what (not that long ago) was a premium EWS weapon of choice is great if you're looking at shaving a few grams without compromising performance. But if I was choosing what to put on a 140mm 29er it'd be Lyrik for sure, especially me being a bit heavier.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
2.10kg Lyrik
2.13kg Mezzer
Both 29er 170 travel measured weight

If it's for light trail riding not hitting things too hard then I would go the Lyrik for its small bump superiority.
But..
If there's any sustained hard riding I've always found an element of harshness with the Lyrik which turns me either completely off them or in the direction of mods (smashpot and/or damper) especially if the rider is heavier.

IMO the best out of the box fork is the Mezzer. Definitely not overkill if the Lyrik isn't and they are available still on ebay for $999 with free postage for the 51mm offset 29er!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just shifted from a Rockshox Revelation 35 to a Mezzer (150mm on a HT)
The difference is phenomenal and they were within 50g of each other.

Having said that, I got the Mezzer second hand and it was set up for my weight and with the previous tuning.
The way the for rides high in the travel is something I'd never experienced and would be hard to let go of even after a short time

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a couple of sets of Marzocchi Z1 or Z2 on Facebook Marketplace too for $750

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sold some of those for $800 posted recently because no-one would buy them! Butter smooth trail fork though, the silver looks amazing in person.