Lyrik or Pike?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So I'm buying new forks, to put on the Hyrax but am struggling with the same supply issues as we all are. I originally wanted to put some new Lyrik ultimates on but am struggling to find some available that haven't been jacked through the roof in terms of price. I can see some Pikes for a nearly acceptable price, but am unsure if they are the fork for me. I've read a bunch of reviews but they all read like the normal review waffle.

I'm hoping that some folk here have ridden both and have a decent hot take. I'm looking for 150mm to go with 140mm rear. I'm riding Canberra trails, so not going huge. But I'm a heavy chap at around 11kg and try to go hard. I've been riding Fox Float 32s for years now, they flex like a bungee cord but have held together very well. If I could name my riding style, I'd say all mountain - I like going up almost as much as I like riding down.

So the question is, do I hold out for a Lyrik or will a Pike do the job just fine. I've never ridden either fork and have no idea how much difference there is in the two.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So I'm buying new forks, to put on the Hyrax but am struggling with the same supply issues as we all are. I originally wanted to put some new Lyrik ultimates on but am struggling to find some available that haven't been jacked through the roof in terms of price. I can see some Pikes for a nearly acceptable price, but am unsure if they are the fork for me. I've read a bunch of reviews but they all read like the normal review waffle.

I'm hoping that some folk here have ridden both and have a decent hot take. I'm looking for 150mm to go with 140mm rear. I'm riding Canberra trails, so not going huge. But I'm a heavy chap at around 11kg and try to go hard. I've been riding Fox Float 32s for years now, they flex like a bungee cord but have held together very well. If I could name my riding style, I'd say all mountain - I like going up almost as much as I like riding down.

So the question is, do I hold out for a Lyrik or will a Pike do the job just fine. I've never ridden either fork and have no idea how much difference there is in the two.
I am surprised you found the 32s flexy with you weighing a measly 11kg...

moorey

call me Mia
I have both. I honestly don’t feel a difference at 160. I’m now the heaviest or hardest rider though.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Are you set on rockshox? Suntour Durolux are the real deal and will come in cheap. There is a sale on for 10-20% off forks and the start at just $840. In stock for 29er and free shipping.

I have them and rate them. Few other on here rocking them too and from what i understand everyone is happy with the performance.

https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/enduro-all-mountain/products/durolux36-eq-boost-rc2-15qlc-29

EDIT: not in stock but pre-order for July 21
What about Zerons then?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Lol. Sorry, I was picking your brain because you are a Suntour fan. I couldn't find any info on them
Oh, haha - no experience with them so not sure. Suntour make a good solid for at the top end though so would give them a look and have heard good things

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you set on rockshox? Suntour Durolux are the real deal and will come in cheap. There is a sale on for 10-20% off forks and the start at just $840. In stock for 29er and free shipping.

I have them and rate them. Few other on here rocking them too and from what i understand everyone is happy with the performance.

https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/enduro-all-mountain/products/durolux36-eq-boost-rc2-15qlc-29

EDIT: not in stock but pre-order for July 21
Another huge fan of the the Suntour Durolux RC2 36 here.
Having run the Lyrik RC2 they're easily comparable and much cheaper.
Easiest fork to work on for service too.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've got a few lyriks and pikes. Older forks though so might not be the same.

Like Moorey, I find little difference I can swap internals around between them, an rct3 damper is better than an RC damper but I'll be stuffed if I can tell the difference in the stiffness.

Deeeeeeefinitely a world apart from 32s though!

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’m now the heaviest or hardest rider though.
Which one is it? I'm guessing hardest.

@johnny at 11kg I think you would be better suited to a more robust fork. While you may not be considering sending a 30fr step down, the amount of force you may put through your gear just railing corners at speed and chartering through rocks could be substantial. This new frame looks pretty sweet and is going to give you a bit of a boost on confidence to push things a little harder as well. Zeb, Mezzer, 38... you'll at least look like a bad ass! Otherwise lyric, 36, mattock type of calibre. X-fusion and suntour might be good, but you'll always be bugged by their history as sub par brands.

slowmick

38-39"
If you are thinking about Mezzers search for them on ebay while logged in to ebay I did and later in the week I got an email saying I had a $10 off voucher for them. Thought cool, did nothing. Couple of days later I got an email with a $100 voucher off. Better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Lyrik, especially in RC2/Ultimate guise is an excellent fork. I prefer them over the equivalent Fox36. It's stiffer than the Pike but at 150mm I'm not sure it will be all that noticeable.

The key question is price. A pike ultimate is $1350 and a Lyrik is $100 more, if you can find them.

Compare this to around $1000 if you buy a Mezzer from Cyclingdeal through Ebay using an Ebay plus trial. Or if you want to save some weight a Mattoc for $750. The Mezzer is a stiffer fork than the Lyrik and is more on par with a Zeb. The air spring with IRT is more sophisticated than the Debonair spring as well.

The only serious alternatives I would reccomend would be the Durolux which is cheaper; the DVO Diamond D1which is a tweakers delight; and the Mazocchi Z1 coil.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gillyske

Likes Dirt
The Lyrik, especially in RC2/Ultimate guise is an excellent fork. I prefer them over the equivalent Fox36. It's stiffer than the Pike but at 150mm I'm not sure it will be all that noticeable.

The key question is price. A pike ultimate is $1350 and a Lyrik is $100 more, if you can find them.

Compare this to around $1000 if you buy a Mezzer from Cyclingdeal through Ebay using an Ebay plus trial. Or if you want to save some weight a Mattoc for $750. The Mezzer is a stiffer fork than the Lyrik and is more on par with a Zeb. The air spring with IRT is more sophisticated than the Debonair spring as well.

The only serious alternatives I would reccomend would be the Durolux and the Mazocchi Z1 coil. But they are both heavier and the Marzocchi is $200 more.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Another note on this is sometimes ebay will have 20% off site wide with their afterpay sales. You can nab a mezzer for $850ish