Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's the start of the arguments about giving casuals the same working rights as permanent employees. Which the big boys don't want as it puts more costs on them for leave entitlements, super and sick leave...
Two sides though... casuals should be getting 20% or more extra on the hourly rate to compensate for no spawl (sick leave, annual leave etc). The casual also pays tax on that 20%. As an employer spawl is waaaay more than 20% so casual is a good deal for them and is often abused. The idea was short term labour to augment a workforce but oft times casuals are just working permanent hours saving the employer $. The real losers if casuals get spawl are the permanents who will be on the same conditions but down 20% on pay.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
casuals should be getting 20% or more extra on the hourly rate to compensate ...
Pretty sure it is 25% nation wide, but it is to compensate for the loss of stability that permanent work gives as you said. I believe this new push is more around things like recognising length of service, right to work (things like shift cancellation/variation/length), termination, and options for permanent work if a casual position exists for long enough. For most casual workers the minimum shift length is 2 hours. In hospitality the minimum hourly rate for an adult about $27/hr. With. I job security and what is generally a low skill industry it's no wonder employers are having trouble finding people.

There's plenty of pastime 2hr a week jobs as well...just to save that 25% casual loading.

Last year when I was involved in negotiating a better deal for my work group, among other things, we were able to secure a 4hr minimum shift and a 25% penalty for variations within 48 hours of commencement and full pay of the shift if cancelled within 48 hours of commencement.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
microwave finally died. why is it so hard to find a new one with simple keypad - time, power level, go. every model seems to reinvent the user interface
Is it really dead? I've fixed wonky door switches on my 25 year old one a few times and its still trucking on.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I only use the 30sec button and the open door button on mine. Not sure that all that other stuff does....
Me too... and the best about it is that the cup that I'm warming, comes back after 30secs with the handle facing me.

I don't use the door button if its still running in case the waves cook me :p

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it really dead? I've fixed wonky door switches on my 25 year old one a few times and its still trucking on.
went pop, turntable and light no longer work and has a burning smell. so it isnt completely dead, just running a little hot. free to pick up if you want. only driven by grandma on sundays

Haakon

Me too... and the best about it is that the cup that I'm warming, comes back after 30secs with the handle facing me.

I don't use the door button if its still running in case the waves cook me :p
Dont rely on the door safety switches mostly so they dont see a current and eventually burn out their contacts. Mind you, theyre only a few bucks from jaycar..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dont rely on the door safety switches mostly so they dont see a current and eventually burn out their contacts. Mind you, theyre only a few bucks from jaycar..
They are a cheap item if you just want one that heats stuff, none of this grilling and fancy shit. Usually by the time something breaks, its just easier to buy a new one as it already probably looks like shit anyway and needs updated.

25yr old one... ehh you are cooking your brain heating up your greenbeans ;)

Haakon

They are a cheap item if you just want one that heats stuff, none of this grilling and fancy shit. Usually by the time something breaks, its just easier to buy a new one as it already probably looks like shit anyway and needs updated.

25yr old one... ehh you are cooking your brain heating up your greenbeans ;)
Nope, its faraday cage is intact ;)