Little Things You Hate

mtb1611

Seymour
People writing you off as a wanker as soon as they find out you live in the shire.

Dicks live everywhere mate, just stay away from northies.
Read the first sentence of my post again, particularly the part where the word "many" is used....incidentally, I've never been to Northies.

TKITEZ

Likes Bikes
cruising along the track and frightening a giant kangaroo who happens to be laying down nice and camouflaged slightly off to the side... damn near shit myself!

yep i got out of there real quick snap!

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
getting to whistler, hiring a what turned out to be a far inadequate bike (demo 8), bombing down a-line, freight train & garbonzo like an absolute fucking boss only to overshoot the bottom jump out of the trees & have the clearly-made-from-pasta front wheel fold itself in half upon landing, sending me fucking sprawling.

$150 wheel, $150 phone, $50 of bandages & a lot of blood later here i am sitting in the hotel room, at whistler, unable to ride a bike.

protip for all those who go to whistler: don't ride it anything like a DH track. the jumps can all be overshot on a freaking chainless run, let alone a normal one. also wear full body armour, i would have been out on a stretcher without it.

also, demo 8's jump like hardtails full of helium, and are flimsy as ****. i didn't even complete one full run before f**king it...

f**k sake spend countless $thousands and f**k knows how long travelling (over a day) to then drive for a fucking year getting to whistler in the most bullshit f**king traffic imaginable only to bin it on the first f**king day because of a pissweak f**king aeroplane of a bike, all whilst the brother is out ripping run after run FFS...

sigh. more than a little frustrated right now.

Last edited:

S.

ex offender
getting to whilster, hiring a what turned out to be a far inadequate bike (demo 8), bombing down a-line, freight train & garbonzo like an absolute fucking boss only to overshoot the bottom jump out of the trees & have the clearly-made-from-pasta front wheel fold itself in half upon landing, sending me fucking sprawling.

$150 wheel, $150 phone, $50 of bandages & a lot of blood later here i am sitting in the hotel room, at whistler, unable to ride a bike.

protip for all those who go to whistler: don't ride it anything like a DH track. the jumps can all be overshot on a freaking chainless run, let alone a normal one. also wear full body armour, i would have been out on a stretcher without it.

also, demo 8's jump like hardtails full of helium, and are flimsy as ****. i didn't even complete one full run before f**king it...

f**k sake spend countless $thousands and f**k knows how long travelling (over a day) to then drive for a fucking year getting to whistler in the most bullshit f**king traffic imaginable only to bin it on the first f**king day because of a pissweak f**king aeroplane of a bike, all whilst the brother is out ripping run after run FFS...

Right, so basically because you didn't bother to learn the tracks or the bike properly and ate shit as a result, somehow it's the bike's fault? I can understand being frustrated about injuring yourself on the first day in Whis, but really, claiming a Demo 8 is "far inadequate" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
getting to whilster, hiring a what turned out to be a far inadequate bike (demo 8), bombing down a-line, freight train & garbonzo like an absolute fucking boss only to overshoot the bottom jump out of the trees & have the clearly-made-from-pasta front wheel fold itself in half upon landing, sending me fucking sprawling.

As they say, its not the bike, its the rider.

You can only blame yourself. Especially considering they are good bikes.
Hope you recover quickly!

seventyseven

Right, so basically because you didn't bother to learn the tracks or the bike properly and ate shit as a result, somehow it's the bike's fault? I can understand being frustrated about injuring yourself on the first day in Whis, but really, claiming a Demo 8 is "far inadequate" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
i'd say if a component fails & a rider eats shit it's the bikes fault, unless the bike is being used for a purpose otherwise than intended. that is not the case here.

a demo 8 should not fail within a half hour of riding unless you're hucking 20ft cliffs or something ridiculous. the front wheel folded in half at the bottom of a-line. that shouldn't happen plain & simple. the bike was being used for its intended/designed/hired purpose and failed within minutes. that's the bikes fault.

also, by very fact that the bike failed that is undeniable proof that it was inadequate for what was being done with it. whether you think it's adequate for riding whistler tracks in X way or not is irrelevant. clearly, it wasn't enough for how i was riding them.

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd say if a component fails & a rider eats shit it's the bikes fault, unless the bike is being used for a purpose otherwise than intended. that is not the case here.

a demo 8 should not fail within a half hour of riding unless you're hucking 20ft cliffs or something ridiculous. the front wheel folded in half at the bottom of a-line. that shouldn't happen plain & simple. the bike was being used for its intended/designed/hired purpose and failed within minutes. that's the bikes fault.

also, by very fact that the bike failed that is undeniable proof that it was inadequate for what was being done with it. whether you think it's adequate for riding whistler tracks in X way or not is irrelevant. clearly, it wasn't enough for how i was riding them.
The front wheel failed. Not the Demo. Doesn't make them a bad bike. :clap2:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'd say if a component fails & a rider eats shit it's the bikes fault, unless the bike is being used for a purpose otherwise than intended. that is not the case here..
I snapped my handlebars, two frames, countless pedals, and other parts, all made for dirt jumping, all used for dirt jumping, if you didn't check the bike before you rode it you're an idiot

mtb1611

Seymour
Those who think you care for their opinion in regard to whether bikes should be allowed on the road. Lobbied your local member? The RTA? The police? Initiated a 10,000-strong petition to have your concerns tabled in parliament? No? Well kindly f%$k off, immediately.

seventyseven

I snapped my handlebars, two frames, countless pedals, and other parts, all made for dirt jumping, all used for dirt jumping, if you didn't check the bike before you rode it you're an idiot
nobody mentioned anything about the bike not being maintained either. merely that it's clearly not up to the task, which would have been nice to know before i hired it/broke it.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt

shit breaks man, get the fuck over it

S.

ex offender

I know the jump you overshot to flat (in fact I've come close to smashing myself on it more than once, it's a bastard jump), and I also know what happens when you nosedive the fuck out of a BIG jump on any wheel. You made a serious mistake, crashed and damaged the bike as a result. I sincerely doubt it was simply a case of overloading a component in its intended design parameters, wheel folding happens when you either nosedive like crazy or land all crossed up. Given the jump it happened on, probably both.

This isn't just me being argumentative for the sake of it either - I used to be one of the guys at Evolution who had to fix all the damage done by bike renters. I am pretty well familiar with what a DH bike is capable of taking - particularly the Demos as we had a fleet of about 15 of them - and "standing up to gross human error" generally crosses the line for ANY downhill bike or component. The Demos (and I can say this from some form of statistical observation, not one angry guy who wants to blame his crash on everything and everyone around him) are reliable, relatively trouble-free bikes, that in my opinion stand up to being ridden hard in the WBP better than almost anything else, and I'm not the world's biggest Specialized fan by any means. You can jump around all self-righteous if you want, but the facts are:
1. You fucked up.
2. You can damage anything if you land hard enough or awkwardly enough. No bike is invincible.

However, I do have sympathy for anyone whose riding holiday in Whistler gets cut short by injury early on in the piece. Hope you're not too messed up to get plenty more riding in before your trip is done.

seventyseven

I know the jump you overshot to flat (in fact I've come close to smashing myself on it more than once, it's a bastard jump), and I also know what happens when you nosedive the fuck out of a BIG jump on any wheel. You made a serious mistake, crashed and damaged the bike as a result. I sincerely doubt it was simply a case of overloading a component in its intended design parameters, wheel folding happens when you either nosedive like crazy or land all crossed up. Given the jump it happened on, probably both.

This isn't just me being argumentative for the sake of it either - I used to be one of the guys at Evolution who had to fix all the damage done by bike renters. I am pretty well familiar with what a DH bike is capable of taking - particularly the Demos as we had a fleet of about 15 of them - and "standing up to gross human error" generally crosses the line for ANY downhill bike or component. The Demos (and I can say this from some form of statistical observation, not one angry guy who wants to blame his crash on everything and everyone around him) are reliable, relatively trouble-free bikes, that in my opinion stand up to being ridden hard in the WBP better than almost anything else, and I'm not the world's biggest Specialized fan by any means. You can jump around all self-righteous if you want, but the facts are:
1. You fucked up.
2. You can damage anything if you land hard enough or awkwardly enough. No bike is invincible.

However, I do have sympathy for anyone whose riding holiday in Whistler gets cut short by injury early on in the piece. Hope you're not too messed up to get plenty more riding in before your trip is done.
i'm not sure i'd call it a BIG jump but, i guess that's not really the point.

if i had of ploughed into a tree & sent myself fucking sprawling then yeah, it's both entirely my fault that i'm hurt and that the bike is fucked. in this instance, the bike gave up the ghost & because of that component failure i'm hurt. this wasn't hucking off a 20+ ft drop or doing some ridiculous renner-whip on the crankworks course. it was overshooting a jump, and not a particularly big one at that.

i'm merely exclaiming at how quickly the bike failed and don't believe it should have. the bottom of one run & it's all over. all i'm saying is that i would have expected the wheels of a demo 8 to be able to handle overshooting a jump. evidently they can't, which would have been nice to know before i hired it. i'm not exactly a heavy guy @ 71-72kg's.

if you don't think it's reasonable to expect a demo 8 to be able to handle a 72kg rider overshooting a jump then that's fine. i do, or did. i've overshot many a decent jump on many other bikes & never had an issue, many of which i landed much more fucked up/harder than this time. my brother hired a norco teamdh and did the exact same thing i did & wouldn't you know it his bike is fine. he's even heavier than i am too.

tl;dr version: IMO downhill bikes should be able to handle overshooting jumps.