Little Things You Hate

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Did you have to put the Cairns MTB club on your application? Did someone from the Cairns MTB club fill out paperwork?
I nominated them and I had to get the club to finish the process once I had an application number.

Everything was done online btw.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Rob and Levi are 2 of my favourite content creators to watch, they treat the environment with respect everywhere they go, try much harder than most to comply with the ridiculously restrictive rules and regulations in place. They love nature, history and the outdoors and present it in a respectful and positive way. To be targeted like this is super disappointing.

It's sad that Tassie P&W have decided to allocate so much resource into fining and threatening these guys with legal action for minor infringements to outdated rules and regs, and in some instances it appears without any definitive evidence. Instead, they should be putting that resource towards updating their regs to be relevant with modern day life.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Rob and Levi are 2 of my favourite content creators to watch, they treat the environment with respect everywhere they go, try much harder than most to comply with the ridiculously restrictive rules and regulations in place. They love nature, history and the outdoors and present it in a respectful and positive way. To be targeted like this is super disappointing.

It's sad that Tassie P&W have decided to allocate so much resource into fining and threatening these guys with legal action for minor infringements to outdated rules and regs, and in some instances it appears without any definitive evidence. Instead, they should be putting that resource towards updating their regs to be relevant with modern day life.

I was literally just watching that. I'm not going to get into politics, but lets just they've been critical of land clearing in their videos and its a sensitive issue down here.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I was literally just watching that. I'm not going to get into politics, but lets just they've been critical of land clearing in their videos and its a sensitive issue down here.
Have they? Link to an example vid please. Nothings stuck in my mind and I've got a pretty low tolerance for political content when watching something for enjoyment. Pretty sure I would have noticed if it was significant, but go ahead and prove me wrong.

Are you saying that these two are being issued with fines and threatened legal action over petty infringements of outdated legislation for having an opinion? If so, then I hate this even more.

Last edited:

Haakon

Have they? Link to an example vid please. Nothings stuck in my mind and I've got a pretty low tolerance for political content when watching something for enjoyment. Pretty sure I would have noticed if it was significant, but go ahead and prove me wrong.

Are you saying that these two are being attacked with fines and threatened legal action over petty infringements of outdated legislation for having an opinion? If so, then I hate this even more.
Umm. I could be wrong here too, but there was something I think. I’ll see if I can find it or prove myself wrong…

Although I’m thinking just some footage of something without commentary might be enough these days.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
PWS certainly need to revise their policies in many areas but several of Rob's claims in this video are pretty disingenuous. I know a few of the crew in Parks, apparently he's been warned repeatedly about his activities and the statement that this is some kind of an individual witch hunt is well wide of the mark as several other content makers have been fined in recent years for various unpermitted undertakings.

The whole Youtube/ TikTok content issue is a vexing one as it can represent a significant income stream. In that sense using Parks lands as a content provider for commercial gain is no different from a walking tour company that has to pay commercial rates. There's also the wider issue of promoting what are remote, sensitive places, how that encourages increased visitation and all of its associated impacts, and as has been repeatedly shown results in unprepared numpties ending up in the shit and needing to be rescued.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That Tassie one is quite interesting as an outsider.
- The fires and UAS stuff ups are wholly on him, check that shit before you go
- The 'you pulled down a bush' one seems like someone who has too much time on their hands
- the business license is just Parks being incredibly slow to short their shit out. As he points out, everywhere else seems to have understood that content creation has changed a bit.

I'm assuming that quite a bit of mtb in Tassie is done on reserved land? Would be interesting to know how many mtb instagramers/youtubers got a letter from Parks based on all the go-pro footage that ends up on-line

Haakon

PWS certainly need to revise their policies in many areas but several of Rob's claims in this video are pretty disingenuous. I know a few of the crew in Parks, apparently he's been warned repeatedly about his activities and the statement that this is some kind of an individual witch hunt is well wide of the mark as several other content makers have been fined in recent years for various unpermitted undertakings.

The whole Youtube/ TikTok content issue is a vexing one as it can represent a significant income stream. In that sense using Parks lands as a content provider for commercial gain is no different from a walking tour company that has to pay commercial rates. There's also the wider issue of promoting what are remote, sensitive places, how that encourages increased visitation and all of its associated impacts, and as has been repeatedly shown results in unprepared numpties ending up in the shit and needing to be rescued.
Thanks for the context - useful.

dazz

Downhill Dazz

He and his wife work in photography in addition to his YT content, he has asked around and couldn't find anyone else in a similar situation and is reaching out with this vid to try to find others. So based on all the info he has available to him, seems pretty reasonably that he should 'feel' targeted at this point.

They could easily have handled the situation in a way that benefited both Rob and Levi as well as PWS. True to form for the vast majority of these organisations, they chose the "tell 'em to stop it" and if they don't then "whack 'em with a big stick" approach.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have my fair share of dealings with Parks in Tassie and in most cases they are a hinderance and they do actively go out of their way to to "catch" people for menial infringements.
I try to keep it as professional as I can because of my position within the club but they do make life hard sometimes.
I've had an instance where the local ranger asked me to remove some small tea tree that had fallen across an MTB trail that was closed for winter so they could detour the bike traffic onto it while they did some work on a fire trail they manage. I said I would remove it on the weekend as their contractor was coming in the following week. The ranger said that he would create a works order for the job. I then removed the trees over the weekend and let the ranger know that it was done. Next thing I know the club president had contacted me say that I had removed the trees without permission, and they had even gone to the trouble of taking photos of the sawdust. Talk about being thrown under the bus for helping them out.

Another clash I had with them was on day I got another call from the club president (they never have the guts to approach me directly) and he said that I had made disparaging comments about Parks on social medial. I racked my brain as to where this had happened and eventually found, that the comment I had made, was on Strava, on my own personal ride, that only my followers can see! :mad: I was pretty pissed about that one. I had said that bloody Parks had been holding up building a trail to the new Wild Mersey suspension bridge. (and still are :rolleyes:)
They always claim that they are under resourced but the spend all this time trawling Strava looking for negative comments, checking strava segments on walking tracks for MTB usage and scrutinising everything we do with the trails and their own tracks just lay in disrepair and overgrown.

I'll probably get a call from the president about this post, lol.

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Like most things in life in my dealings with Parks it's about who you interact with. I've had my fair share with the Coningham MTB club as our trail network is technically on Parks land, although the area is designated as a recreation reserve which has made getting stuff done more straight forward. Basically the long story short is that if the area manager is a can do type, stuff gets done, paperwork is minimised and resources get found. If it's someone who's a desk minder it all gets too hard.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Like most things in life in my dealings with Parks it's about who you interact with. I've had my fair share with the Coningham MTB club as our trail network is technically on Parks land, although the area is designated as a recreation reserve which has made getting stuff done more straight forward. Basically the long story short is that if the area manager is a can do type, stuff gets done, paperwork is minimised and resources get found. If it's someone who's a desk minder it all gets too hard.
Yes, I think that’s the case. Red tape is a pain too. We recently had to wait for over a week to remove a tree across a descent trail because nobody at the local Parks office is authorised to make that call. That’s 3 levels of authority that can’t be trusted to make that call. You should talk to the George Town and Wild Mersey trails project managers, they have no love for Parks either.
I can sympathise with Rob, even though he did a few things wrong, it does sound like a bit of a witch hunt.

cammas

Seamstress
LTIH - weeding the garden, after being crook for 8 weeks the old yard looks a mess, I was able to mow the lawn the other week before getting crook again but never got to the weeds. I don’t mind mowing the lawns, whipper snippering or even trimming the hedge but weeding fucking shits me, there’s a few spots in the backyard that I haven’t weed matted and a couple of spots where it’s not possible. This weather hasn’t helped and after riding yesterday for the first in ages then weeding today I’m freaking beat, now we have 3 of the grandkids overnight while a couple of our kids have a night out, guess who’s a grumpy pa :rolleyes:

Haakon

LTIH - weeding the garden, after being crook for 8 weeks the old yard looks a mess, I was able to mow the lawn the other week before getting crook again but never got to the weeds. I don’t mind mowing the lawns, whipper snippering or even trimming the hedge but weeding fucking shits me, there’s a few spots in the backyard that I haven’t weed matted and a couple of spots where it’s not possible. This weather hasn’t helped and after riding yesterday for the first in ages then weeding today I’m freaking beat, now we have 3 of the grandkids overnight while a couple of our kids have a night out, guess who’s a grumpy pa :rolleyes:
Get the children to do the weeding…?

Haakon

LTIH = the corporate world - sooner I'm free from these toxic, short sighted, self interested scum the better.
Yeah, i took a massive pay cut to exit corporate life for the public service. It has its own "issues" but occasionally i get to feel like i contributed to the world at large... I would have been able to retire by now if id stayed in consulting, but...