Little Things You Hate

safreek

Just got a quote to put in an aggregate drain and seal the concrete brick wall. $10K including an up sell on a pit drain inside the shed (the point is stop water coming in...). Yeah nah... I'll get a bloke with a mini digger in to move the dirt for a few hundred, the rest I can do. I could do the mini digger myself, but the 1300kg of it on its (braked) trailer is a bit much for the Alfa and its not much cheaper. And i'll do better for sealing the wall than "install plastic sheeting" the $10K bloke wanted to do!
156.jpg

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Well you would have come across a lot of people who who have also spent 10yrs in school, should be your equivalent, should be knowledgeable and should know what they are doing... then you think 'how does this chunt even find his way to work in the morning'

Same in every walk of like, there are good Tradesmen, shit Tradesmen, shit Barristers, shit Financial advisors, shit Engineers...

Just because someone has a piece of paper to say they are this and that, doesn't make them good at it.
No doubt.

But that's not an apples for apples comparison. Any tradie who's done all the training/apprenticing is going to be miles ahead of me with some Bunnings courses and YouTube videos.

I'm trying to teach myself some network admin and Linux at the moment from books. I've got a sneaky suspicion I would be better off going to Tafe. It's the classic Rumsfield, I don't know what I don't know.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Oh and the wires were the wrapped in cloth ones that the rats ate - bastards , only 2 colours
What a disaster that shit is. Hessian cloth over shit insulation that bakes at 50°C in an Aussie roof space, the insulation and cloth bakes, crumbles and falls off leaving bare wires.

Oh BTW my original trade is a sparky, so not completely shonky.

ozzybmx

No doubt.

But that's not an apples for apples comparison. Any tradie who's done all the training/apprenticing is going to be miles ahead of me with some Bunnings courses and YouTube videos.

I'm trying to teach myself some network admin and Linux at the moment from books. I've got a sneaky suspicion I would be better off going to Tafe. It's the classic Rumsfield, I don't know what I don't know.
It just means they are faster, neater, less waste, more efficient etc...

A basic tiling job in a bathroom, buy yourself a wet tile saw for $99, grout squeegie, all the trims and whatever else you need.
You got a few tricky bits, around the toilet, sink, drain and windows. Who cares if it takes 3 times as long and you fuck up 20 tiles.

The rest of it is surface prep the sticking squares down, they even have little X spacers to keep you right ;)

I hear you on the Tafe but there's a good buzz by winging it on your own.

s-l400.jpg

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
What a disaster that shit is. Hessian cloth over shit insulation that bakes at 50°C in an Aussie roof space, the insulation and cloth bakes, crumbles and falls off leaving bare wires.

Oh BTW my original trade is a sparky, so not completely shonky.
I need a current tester to find out which of this mess are the cables I need to cut and re route…
70296902575__9D90450E-1930-45B3-8C78-59CF7969D901.jpeg

Haakon

It just means they are faster, neater, less waste, more efficient etc...

A basic tiling job in a bathroom, buy yourself a wet tile saw for $99, grout squeegie, all the trims and whatever else you need.
You got a few tricky bits, around the toilet, sink, drain and windows. Who cares if it takes 3 times as long and you fuck up 20 tiles.

The rest of it is surface prep the sticking squares down, they even have little X spacers to keep you right ;)

I hear you on the Tafe but there's a good buzz by winging it on your own.

View attachment 398949
That looks a toy I’ll need. The bathroom is on the list…
Next cab off the rank here once I finish the shed bench and storage shelves is ducted heating… Need to get Kirsty to choose the floor ducts she wants then I’ll be cutting holes in the floorboard and routing all the duct work.

And have a stab at getting the routing and duct size right so it’s balances, but probably will need to change some thingsonce I see how it performs. Return air inlet will be a bit of work though - big arse hole in the wall and a box built on the spare bedroom side of the wall that will need a wardrobe built over it later…

ozzybmx

I need a current tester to find out which of this mess are the cables I need to cut and re route…
Holy twisties, might be on purpose to stop rats nibbling on them. Multimeter and a volt stick... if they are even legal now.

Last edited:

Haakon

Nice looking timber in your house. Mine still had some of the bark on it. I would guess it's almost bullet proof by now.
Yeah its all very thick Tasmanian old growth hardwood! Tassie oak floors too. And a lot of big arse nails holding it all together - looks like it would have been hard yakka building it!

boyracer

Likes Dirt
It must be difficult owning a bike shop let alone having to turn it into a fortress.
Hope they catch these lowlifes. Would be almost tempting for the owner to camp out in the shop at night with a shotgun doing it Texas style.
A mate who was partner in a shop did this. Used to take turns and camp out ...sleeping bag and camp bed behind the counter at night with Louisville slugger.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Obviously you're not going to fuck it up three times, but even if it takes you twice as long to do the work than a "professional", thats still a very decent dollar value on your time. Maybe you're paid more than me, but it ticks the boxes financially for me!

Plus its just very satisfying. Thats certainly worth something.
That's the main reason I do all my own building stuff. Because I want to. This is living.

I'd much prefer to be playing around with toys at my place, than out being a slave to the economist.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve always wanted a bobcat / mini digger - you should buy one and then rent out ….

only half joking .

I will have a lash at any job before paying someone to also have a half arsed go at it !
except electrickery , if it kills me , probably okay , but killing others inadvertently is not Kool
One of my mates had a career change, and is now an “earth optimisation consultant”, aka drives excavators and tippers for his old boss, who’s purchased all the garden/earth works/landscaping businesses in a region.

I send him this clip at least once a week. Sometimes I get back a fuck off, other times a “too late, we’ve been singing this all week over the cb”

Haakon

Did the building inspection you had done mention any of this?
No, this is me wanting to move light switches. We put a new door into the lounge from the hall and turned part of the old section of the hall into a linen cupboard. So now I have hall lights int he linen cupboard :)

The wiring is otherwise functional, just not pretty.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
No, this is me wanting to move light switches. We put a new door into the lounge from the hall and turned part of the old section of the hall into a linen cupboard. So now I have hall lights int he linen cupboard :)

I can ask my mate to come down and help. He managed to rewire ceiling fans and light switches at his old place so that the lights had three speeds and the fans were on or off. Very rare talent.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
We've still got a couple of switches like this due to some either DIY sparkitude or a local electrician trying to offload extra cable on an unsuspecting punter. Seems to be due to having flow through power and additional switching wires...at which point I just call my sparky. So far he's hauled out much more cable than he's put in and it all still works...just a bit more to do. Haven't had a bill in three years either!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

L(big)TIH I'd be pretty keen to get my hands on this champ and string him up by his danglers.....privileged fuckwits acting like tools, who would've thunk it...like that Porsche guy... what happened to him