Lego

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Crawler crane is available for preorder. Think I will just keep my scratch built one.
Well holy shit:

$1000 though!! Like I want it but that's a big ask. Less motors than the Liebherr digger for a much bigger price tag. Also where do you put the thing once it's finished? Just annexe part of your house for it? Stupid. Still want it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well holy shit:

$1000 though!! Like I want it but that's a big ask. Less motors than the Liebherr digger for a much bigger price tag. Also where do you put the thing once it's finished? Just annexe part of your house for it? Stupid. Still want it.
On the desk of course. This one is bigger though if the luffing fly is on it is too tall and has to sit on the floor.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
An interesting look around the new Crawler Crane:

TL/DR version: looks like Lego ran into some fairly substantial problems engineering this set to work that could only be resolved by making the finished product appear quite different to the crane it's based on - and by tooling for a bunch of bespoke pieces which partially explains the stupid price. I'd be willing to bet even for $1k Lego is still making a loss on each set sold.

Still, a cool example of what's possible with ABS plastic :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
An interesting look around the new Crawler Crane:

TL/DR version: looks like Lego ran into some fairly substantial problems engineering this set to work that could only be resolved by making the finished product appear quite different to the crane it's based on - and by tooling for a bunch of bespoke pieces which partially explains the stupid price. I'd be willing to bet even for $1k Lego is still making a loss on each set sold.

Still, a cool example of what's possible with ABS plastic :)
I have watched a couple of videos of this now and my thoughts... Bits of the crane look the business but the lack of counterweight on the carbody and carbody in general are not right and the contrived superlift set up looks really odd. But worst off all the luffing fly masts are just wrong, too short and stumpy and not to scale with the other jibs. Lego would have been better off selling the crane just with a main boom and leaving the luffing fly off. I like the boom sections and the counterweights themselves look decent. Perhaps buy this and just make it with an extended main and no luffing fly?

scblack

Leucocholic
I love where I live. In Castle Hill I have three shops with serious Lego content: Lego branded shop at Castle Towers; Toymate at Castle Towers (bought plenty there) ; and I especially like Toymate at Victoria Ave Castle Hill, as they have regular GOOD discounts in Lego. Victoria Ave had the Millennium Falcon I already have - its a AUD$1,299 outlay, but they've had it for sale for $1,049.

And then I work in Sydney CBD where Hobbyco has a very good Lego section.

scblack

Leucocholic
Just finished up the Peugeot 9x8 LeMans racecar. This set is a great build - very accurate - it has engine plus electric motors. The suspension actuation is amazing. The whole thing is very very solid too. If you like cars, this one is a must!

P001.jpg

P003.jpg

P005.jpg

P006.jpg

P009.jpg

Scotty675

Cable thief
I have this and the Yamaha MT 01 on the way. I hadn’t done a set for a while but just finished the Sian and keen again. The Sian is the best car build I’ve done so far

scblack

Leucocholic
I have this and the Yamaha MT 01 on the way. I hadn’t done a set for a while but just finished the Sian and keen again. The Sian is the best car build I’ve done so far
Nice. As I say the Peugeot is an excellent build, Sian is better but its more than twice the kit. The Daytona SP3 in my opinion is better than the Sian, has some extra complex techniques in it.

Have you heard there has "apparently" been a leak the next awesome kit is to be a Concorde?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Nice. As I say the Peugeot is an excellent build, Sian is better but its more than twice the kit. The Daytona SP3 in my opinion is better than the Sian, has some extra complex techniques in it.

Have you heard there has "apparently" been a leak the next awesome kit is to be a Concorde?
The SP3 is a good kit. When I built it I was in a Lego frenzy. It is a more tech set for sure.
The break between sets has probably helped with the enjoyment of building the Sian.
Got a few on the go at the moment. The little senna, moc forklift from your old land rover and just started the Ferrari 488.
I probably should step out side the car sets. Have seen the Concorde, looks good.
I would like the crane but the set is to big size wise to put anywhere.