Lahar Mk9 *now with Fox 40's - page 5*

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dazz, what a machine................very stealthy, very exotic.

How the hell am I going to keep up with you now, that thing has gotta be fast. Should be sorted by the time you get to Buller eh??

Mojo

Likes Dirt
santa clause has been good to you. i imagine that frame wasnt cheap. haha im sure its a sweet ride. you'll have to let us all know how it goes!

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Had another little pedal around on it last night, the head angle is noticably slack while riding around at 2kph but I reckon it'll work really well for DH. Hopefully I'll find out this weekend. (if my knee is good)

Is that the first one to be built by a member of farkin?
Not exactly. This is the bike No Skid Marks brought into the country & is the same frame that will be featured in a couple of magazines due out shortly. Correct me if I'm wrong here NSM, it's the only Mk9 in Aust at the moment? I do believe there are a few more on order though.

How the hell am I going to keep up with you now, that thing has gotta be fast. Should be sorted by the time you get to Buller eh??
He he, yeah should be well and truely sorted before Buller. The Crafty frame is still lying on the floor on top of the bike box it came back from Tassie in...

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Had another little pedal around on it last night, the head angle is noticably slack
That frame with Fox 40s at 8" had a 64.5 degree head angle.It's slack because of the 888s with flop crowns and the rear is undersprung for you.Are your stanchions pushed all the way through as far as they can go.Check the manual for allowed stanchion clearance.
Could the person selling the Ti Revox spring please contact Dazz. Will a Revox spring fit a DHX?
Definetly looks great with the black 888s on it though.
Yep that's the only MK9 here at the moment but that exclusiveness won't be for long. Should be another ready for Santa.

Last edited:

dazz

Downhill Dazz
That frame with Fox 40s at 8" had a 64.5 degree head angle.It's slack because of the 888s with flop crowns and the rear is undersprung for you.Are your stanchions pushed all the way through as far as they can go.Check the manual for allowed stanchion clearance.
Could the person selling the Ti Revox spring please contact Dazz. Will a Revox spring fit a DHX?
Definetly looks great with the black 888s on it though.
Yep that's the only MK9 here at the moment but that exclusiveness won't be for long. Should be another ready for Santa.
All in good time, my friend!
Yeah, I really like the look of it with the 888's too. Hmmm, imagine a set of gold Aireal triple clamps up front. Would match the Lahar logo...

BJ-

Rota Imports
I was selling a Revox Ti Spring.

Anyways nice freaking bike! Youve kind of over shadowed my Sunn Radical, it doesnt seem so exciting anymore. But oh well, ive still got the Nemesis Project hardtail.

I have to see that bike in the flesh...

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Update in the first post.

I've added a few pics of her in the first post with a few changes I've made.

P.S. Anyone spot the difference on the old Boxxers?

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Carbon wrap?

Looks kinda weird now with those high rise bars and XC stem....... Time for new controls peut etre?

Still hot though.

S.

ex offender

Air valve mod, nice touch.

Head angle a bit better like that?

jessebatty

Likes Dirt
pretty cool bike!!!!!!!! if you get the AMB mag you will find that there is a review on it the other downhill bike reviews its got in it has Cannondale Judge, Giant Glory, Lahar, Izumi somthing, GT DH-I, Mongoose ECD, Yeti 303.
My pick of the bunch is the: Giant Glory:)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Yes there's some good observations in that test but there's alot of flaws in it as I'm sure Dazz will confirm that the Lahar does not pedal like it has a flat tyre in sand,there was no mention of the fact that it bobbed less than probablly all the other bikes on test.The Rohloff takes 1000km to bed in but even still it pedals fine.As far as the carbon paranoi spreading it should be known that one of the sponsored New Zealand riders(100kg) went through many other brands of bikes with them all failing(cracking,whatever) within months. He's ridden the Lahar for ages now with probably 100 crashes on it and it's going fine. No other Lahars have had any cracks etc to date either.The scoring system in AMB is definatelly flawed aswell with the bigger brands obviously scoring better accept the Goose that you just couldn't gloss up that much.
But go ahead and get a Glory,great bike for the money,will prove to cost as much as a Lahar in the long run but if you can't afford a Lahar now then the Giant will do you fine.

Last edited:

treggs

Treggs Tuned
Good to see some alternate technologies have made the cut.

Some mods (IMHO) that would be nice.

Paint ya Boxxer lowers matt black and get some grey boxxer stickers,
New bars and stem (too match the other nice components)

How do the modded boxxers compare to the 888's and Boxxer WC's??

Ride report when the knee is good????

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Some mods (IMHO) that would be nice.

Paint ya Boxxer lowers matt black and get some grey boxxer stickers,
New bars and stem (too match the other nice components)
Yeah that would look nice, but I'd rather put the money towards some new forks.
How do the modded boxxers compare to the 888's and Boxxer WC's??
Ride report when the knee is good????
Absolutely! I felt that there was too much sag in the Mojo'd boxxer, especially considering I'm going to run out of travel 25mm sooner than I've been used to, that's why I added my little air-valve mod to help them to stand up a little bit more. Which I can very easily experiment with now.
I'm going to let my mate ride it at Canberra (Sport Class) which will be interesting because it's pretty much the complete opposite in terms of geometry to his DH Comp.

I'll be riding it as hard and fast as I can at Mt Beauty, so keep an eye out for me there & also at the remaining Vic rounds. (wont be at the next Buller race though :( )

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Yes there's some good observations in that test but there's alot of flaws in it as I'm sure Dazz will confirm that the Lahar does not pedal like it has a flat tyre in sand,there was no mention of the fact that it bobbed less than probablly all the other bikes on test.The Rohloff takes 1000km to bed in but even still it pedals fine.As far as the carbon paranoi spreading it should be known that one of the sponsored New Zealand riders(100kg) went through many other brands of bikes with them all failing(cracking,whatever) within months. He's ridden the Lahar for ages now with probably 100 crashes on it and it's going fine. No other Lahars have had any cracks etc to date either.The scoring system in AMB is definatelly flawed aswell with the bigger brands obviously scoring better accept the Goose that you just couldn't gloss up that much.
But go ahead and get a Glory,great bike for the money,will prove to cost as much as a Lahar in the long run but if you can't afford a Lahar now then the Giant will do you fine.
There are always people that bag the AMB tests when one of their own products gets a bad score. Can i ask have you actually ridden a mongoose?

And how will the Giant end up costing as much as a Lahar in the long run?

S.

ex offender
There are always people that bag the AMB tests when one of their own products gets a bad score. Can i ask have you actually ridden a mongoose?

And how will the Giant end up costing as much as a Lahar in the long run?
I agree with NSM actually... they were highly critical of the pedalling (said it pedalled like it had a flat tyre through sand or something?) which was just stupid. There is some noticeable drag from the gearbox but it's not a big deal whatsoever. The rest of the review sounded extremely similar to the only other ride report I've ever seen published of that same bike... like they'd read it and decided to just summarily rewrite it rather than come up with descriptions of their own.

Personally, having actually ridden 4 of the 7 bikes on test in AMB (including the Lahar), I thought their comparison was pretty shit (though that's just my own opinion and obviously that isn't going to just override what anyone else happens to think of a bike), and as usual they spent too little time describing ride characteristics and most of the time wanking on about irrelevant shit like how rare the bikes are. That diagonal-line comparison is also retarded, because they say stuff like "The GT strikes a happy medium - sensational value for money but gives up nothing in performance, which is why it earns the highest rating here" (it got 9 out of 10), then go and compare that rating (which takes into account value for money remember)... against PRICE. Uh... wasn't the whole point to compare PERFORMANCE against price, thus DETERMINING the value for money?

Oh yeah and the test coordinator also happened to import one of the bikes on test... at least they were honest enough to include a note about it, but seriously as if he's ever gonna publicly trash a bike he sells (no slight on Mr Southwood personally - nobody would say negative stuff in public about something they were selling). Why not just avoid that situation? That kind of crap is just unprofessional. You don't see the Holden CEO writing reviews for Wheels magazine.

What was also pretty funny was that they said the EC-D has "outstanding, spritely pedaling ability" then later that same issue, criticised a much shorter travel enduro bike using THE SAME LINKAGE as being inefficient and relying on the shock for pedaling performance. Credibility pretty much gone by now.