JetBlack 24 Hour 2011 - 3+4 December, Mt Annan

loc81

Likes Dirt
How is Ed & English going?
Rocky trail are doing pretty quick streaming of results to their site.
Great weather, a good diverse trail (even if getting very dusty!) and IMO a great vibe and attitude from all so far. Hope our team and our weary legs make it through the night!

Bikes, booze, friends and music.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Is there any online results going around, had a look over the Rocky Trail website and can't seem to locate anything?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
If it's only showing Feb 2011 results, hold down CTRL and hit F5. December 2011's is at the top but your browser may have the old page cached.

loc81

Likes Dirt
what an awesome weekend!
never thought i was crazy enough to race a 24 at Mt Annan!
Thank you Rocky Trail Entertainment for putting on another awesome race!
Hey mate can you make your FB photo album public for us that are socially "off the grid"?
Cheers!

Last edited:

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Awesome

I absolutely loved the course. Very well built, great design. Wish I was fit enough to really rip in the whole way around.

Hope they keep the exact same course for next year. It was great to get the hard stuff out of the way in the 1st 3k and then enjoy the remaining sections.

Well organised race. Shit music selection. Who the heck likes disco music and MTB riding? But apart from that everything else was really good.

loc81

Likes Dirt
What a great weekend!
I had only done The Scott a few years ago and the other 3 team members were on their maiden 24hr voyage and super excited so it was great the weather turned out so well so us 4 could have a go at this together! I also had the pleasure of taking my recently acquired Pivot Mach 5 out for its first taste of dirt- I'm glad to say that every positive cliche about these bikes are true!
Some of those pinchy switchbacks sucked the life out of me but I was just glad they were mostly bunched together as to get them out of the way in one hit.
Couldn't fault anything at all really besides the large chuck of euro-doof music that was being blasted but that's personal preference ha ha. More variety please!
Being a team of (in the riding scheme of things) run-of-the-mill riders, we were all blown away by the support and friendly attitude of 99% of the riders. One guy on our team had NEVER done a MTB race or even hit dirt for months but came back a few times glowing that Jason English was giving him compliments and support as he passed. Complete punters and the world number 1 riding the same race (to a certain extent) is what makes these events great!
I was doing my painfully slow stint at 1:30am half way round my second and final ride in the dark when English ducks past like it's a social cruise. After a brief G'day and questioning of what lap he was on, I wished him luck as he crept away but he still took a moment to ask me what lap I was up to- to which I embarrassingly replied "erm.. 5, and I'm heading to bed after this one". Meanwhile, he was probably into his 20's!!! Still gave me the time of day though which was a real buzz.
All you fit bastards -solo or team- that can be so friendly after so much demand on your body and mind, you make the sport and these event what they are, thanks for the inspiration I guess!!
Actually I do have a small complaint- the C-line on the rocky descent (spelling?) needs to be pushed out WAY wider to punish you for not testing your skills, instead of being the quickest and smoothest line into the following L/H berm. A-line attempts should be rewarded!!

Rocky Trail and JetBlack, I'm glad you finally had some good weather and thanks for providing such an enjoyable event!

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Syd 24

Thanks to Rocky Trail for a great race!! Certainly one to remember. Well done to Mr English - and anyone who toughed it out there, solo or teams. Definitely a tough course, but also very rewarding!

For this interested in what went down in the solo race, this might make an amusing or interesting read, although I can't promise either:

http://edridesbikes.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/how-not-to-race-a-24-solo-the-2011-jet-black-sydney-24-hour/
I can only echo Ed.

You can read my full writeup @ mcrummy.blogspot.com.

Additionally I loaded a short Vid onto the 'Tube @ CrummyMTB.

Enjoy and see you at the next enduro.