Introducing the Girls

Help!

Hey

I'm 18 and thinking about having a go at dh.. Unfortunately i am of a short statue and having a hard time finding a bike my size and clothes that fit.. I'm in townsville and i know there are guys here that ride.. I thought it might be of more help to ask those who might be in the same boat.. I have never seen girls from my area ride and i'm a little bit worried about the boys laughing at me..

I have never ridden before and would like some advice. is there somewhere that sells girls riding gear and well LOL.... Shorter bikes.. all the complete bikes i have been able to see are only of a Large frame and there are 2 things wrong with that... I cant reach the ground and i cant reach the handle bars LOL..

im about 5 ft and really want to give this ago.. so any and all help would be appreciated.

Ta

foxcgirl

Likes Bikes
Name: Sarah
Riding since: The first time I rode A bike..
Bike: Jamis Dakota Comp Femme, Jamis Bam 1.0
Ride: Mostly Lysty
Style: Not much.. xc/dh
Day job: Just quit. Lookin' for a new job. Know of anything in SE Suburbs?! hehe :)

foxcgirl

Likes Bikes
Hey

I'm 18 and thinking about having a go at dh.. Unfortunately i am of a short statue and having a hard time finding a bike my size and clothes that fit.. I'm in townsville and i know there are guys here that ride.. I thought it might be of more help to ask those who might be in the same boat.. I have never seen girls from my area ride and i'm a little bit worried about the boys laughing at me..

I have never ridden before and would like some advice. is there somewhere that sells girls riding gear and well LOL.... Shorter bikes.. all the complete bikes i have been able to see are only of a Large frame and there are 2 things wrong with that... I cant reach the ground and i cant reach the handle bars LOL..

im about 5 ft and really want to give this ago.. so any and all help would be appreciated.

Ta
I'm about 5'3. I would say I look ridiculous on my DH bike. But I manage. I can't offer any advice of a bike for you..
But I would say, don't worry about boys laughing at you. There are some good dudes out there who will ride with you, encourage you and give you advice. You can't be expected to shred, not cos you're 'just a girl' but cos you're starting out. Hopefully you can find some people to ride with that are also new to the sport. If there are any little snotty boys giving you grief just put a stick between their spokes :mad: lol

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
i'm a little bit worried about the boys laughing at me..
If it makes you feel any better, most mature guys are dying to see more girls on bikes... The ones that give you any static are either little kids or guys who are either threatened by the thought that a girl could end up being better than them, or is so insecure and lousy with girls that they don't know how to act any better.

I LOVE seeing more girls/women riding! And the more girls/women that do it, the closer the sides become to being equal and it becomes a non-issue. :)

foxcgirl

Likes Bikes
Actually have you ever had a problem where you've come across another chick riding, but they're trying to hang with/be accepted by guys too much that they aren't even friendly?
Weird. I would've thought that most chicks, being a minority, would be nice to each other and not have a problem sticking together. But plenty of times I've been more snubbed by another girl out there than the guys!

ashe_ep

Squid
Hey

Ta
The Jamis Dakar XAM range has a 15" available. I ride with someone who is 5ft and she rides 15". You can get Jamis from Anaconda in Townsville as well. Its worth a look.

smeck

Likes Dirt
Hey

Ta
The Townsville Rockwheelers club have a few "ladies only" skills clinincs if your interested in learning from other girls and avoiding males who may laugh at you. I wouldn't be to concerned though, anybody who laughs at you probably couldn't ride out of sight on a dark night. We all start at the bottom and most riders are full of helpful tips for learners. Welcome to the sport and try this website for local clinics, track maps, ride days and race events, http://www.rockwheelers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=35

Wes at "The Bicycle Centre" on Ingham Rd is pretty helpful in the bike department. If he doesn't have anything he will atleast be able to point you in the right direction.

Rebel sport at Stocklands used to hold a bit of riding gear, so do the LBS's. A few of us mail order from Ground Effect in NZ, it only takes a few days and the prices and quality are great. Try www.groundeffect.co.nz for a look.

Thanks

Hey

Thanks for all the replies. I do know most of the boys that ride in Townsville. I'm dating one that is how i found out about the sport. However that is most of the reason why i would be embarrased. I have not seen any girls on any of the tracks since i've been going. I want to suprise my partner that i'm riding. so asking him would kinda be strange. That and can u imagine the stories he would tell at the christmas dinner! :eek:

Are any of you girls that ride regularly in townsville willing to take on a little someone like me to teach when i get a bike?:)

Ace1

Likes Bikes
Canada...awesome! Have fun.

I am born again new, shall I say. I think I joined about two years ago, just after I got my Trance 2 (which has turned out to be a bloody expensive bike, I have to say. I mean, new bearings in the BB after four months?!) Then some real life crap caught up with me and I had to re-think my life for a while. Now my focus has shifted a little....

So:
Bike(s): Giant Trance 2, Scott Voltage 25, GT Palomar and coming soon a road bike when I find one small enough for me and a BMX.
Ride: When and wherever I can, but focus has shifted to DJ and street (when I re-teach myself the art.)
Years Riding: Since I was 4...only had the training wheels on for half an hour :)

Em_Syd_82

Cannon Fodder
Introduction

Hi there,

Name: Emily
Riding: I love all riding. At the moment I'm riding my cross country bike and fixy most of the time.
Years riding: I've been riding bikes for a bit, but only got into cross country at the end of last year, and just started fixy riding a few months ago. But what i lack in experience, i make up in enthusiasm :)
Reason for post: I have a few guys I go riding with, but don't know any girls who ride bikes - other than to the shops and back. If you live in Sydney are in the same predicament, feel free to email me - emilitus@hotmail.com

~Tpaige~

Cannon Fodder
Name: Tarryn

ok so up until now i've been more of a dh fan and support crew for my bf and mates :eek:.but and my interent has grown and grown lately. and although i would never mooch in on his 'thing' i feel a addiction forming. i'm trying to learn the ropes. i shy away from asking too many questions around the guys as they are all veteran nuts at riding, so its a relief to see so many girls on here who know there stuff. i know i'l never be as pro-like as some people i know or have seen on here. but i know i'm gonna have one hell of a time!:D

TPaige. Hey I know how your feeling. I'm in the same boat.
You've sat on the side lines and want to have a go. But the boys are hard to talk to and you done want to "mooch" on their fun.

Hey if your in townsville maybe we can give each other a hand

shazza of the pub

Likes Bikes
Hey Hottie08

If you ever come up to Cairns there are a few women who ride but I may be visiting family in townsville soon so if I come down I'll bring my bike and maybe we can go for a ride. It's been a while since i've been there. Where do you ride DH these days, Mt Lousia or behind the uni is where we, my other half and I, used to go. I am not really very good but what the hell it is good fun.
Give you a call if I come down.
Shazza

Hey... They ride Mt Stuart Usually...

Ha ha i'm so sick of doing the shuttle for them... I'm just pieceing togeather a bike just now.. frame needs to be welded. and i need to get some wheels and stuff yet.. but i will say hi when you come down if you like. just let me know. Ill see if either you can come with the boys or if i can steal my partners car or the trailor and we can do some shuttles... i dont mind driving

I dont know when the next race in cairns is but i'll try and make it.. my partner will be racing but we can play "make friends" then ha ha ha.
I think that cairns is like a few weeks away.. and if it is only for the weekend i'll take time off my 2nd job just to meet you :).

See you soon i guess

Last edited:

shazza of the pub

Likes Bikes
Hey... They ride Mt Stuart Usually...

Ha ha i'm so sick of doing the shuttle for them... I'm just pieceing togeather a bike just now.. frame needs to be welded. and i need to get some wheels and stuff yet.. but i will say hi when you come down if you like. just let me know. Ill see if either you can come with the boys or if i can steal my partners car or the trailor and we can do some shuttles... i dont mind driving

I dont know when the next race in cairns is but i'll try and make it.. my partner will be racing but we can play "make friends" then ha ha ha.
I think that cairns is like a few weeks away.. and if it is only for the weekend i'll take time off my 2nd job just to meet you :).

See you soon i guess
Sounds like a plan
Cairns next DH is this weekend which I can't make cos of work but the next one is 5th of July. If you come up for that weekend and bring your bike we could do sacrafice runs of Kuranda if your up to it or a tamer track called Palmers but that is a push up unless the gate is unlocked. (I am not a really good rider just so you know)

Never ridden Mt Stuart but more than happy to give it a go, only ever did the driving for the boys. I have a dual cab ute so we could just use my car and I will see if I can find a friend to drive us.

Cheers
Shazza