How fast?

Agame

Likes Bikes
If we're delving into past lives.........

1992, I had a little accident. Chasing a mate, on a roadie, down a sealed road but with lots of loose stones over it. He said he was doing 92 and I was catching him. Hit a stone on a bend and flew, didn't touch the road. Cleared three lanes and hit an embankment, rolled about 50 metres until I hit a tree.

Good times:eek:

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont know top speed, but ON THE FLAT (where it counts) ive hit 73km/h on the roadie. (admittedly there was a tail wind)

cadence was at about 2million.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
On the flat, bitumen, the most I've managed without a tailwind is 42.5km/h on the MTB with 2.35" front & 2.10" rear.

bazza

look at me
dont know top speed, but ON THE FLAT (where it counts) ive hit 73km/h on the roadie. (admittedly there was a tail wind)

cadence was at about 2million.
you say 'where it counts' but you would of had a massive tail wind to hit that speed. nice one....

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
basically first time i rode a DH i hit 56km going down a hill. it was really lose and rocky and the bike was flying everywhere underneath me. my mate was was impressed becuase it was his bike and i passed him on the moto he was riding at the time:p
not long ago i took my bike up and went faster but i didnt have a speedo.
cheers

ACNRS

Likes Dirt
ive done 65kph down a mountain near my place (mt keira), that was on a mountain bike on the road.
on the DH tracks ive gone 45.5kph off a stepdown.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
108km/h on the roadie! And no, this is not bullshit.

While we're on this topic, are there any Blue Mountains riders who know how fast they have gone down concrete hill out the back of Blaxland tip?
i hit 89 once. i think im thinking of the same road...

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
108km/h on the roadie! And no, this is not bullshit.

While we're on this topic, are there any Blue Mountains riders who know how fast they have gone down concrete hill out the back of Blaxland tip?
I havent recorded, but its a pretty sketchy runout from that hill, sand and gravel. Props to you for getting that sort of speed, thats intense.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
I havent recorded, but its a pretty sketchy runout from that hill, sand and gravel. Props to you for getting that sort of speed, thats intense.
Awww come on sweetheart, it's a flat fire road........:p

89 clicks is right there with some of the speeds I've heard through the years, and I don't doubt it for one second, that hill is unreal. Please allow me to indulge in a story..............

Many years ago, in the dark ages, I started riding an XC bike around. Now I'd been riding down concrete hill for a while on a DH bike, and I used to pick the bike up in the air a little right at the top, so that even though I was probably 3 inches off the ground, it felt like you were seriously flying.

Now, the DH bike was also a bit of a slug down that hill, kind of like a 4X4 on the road, way to much rolling resistance. One of the first things I decided I'd do with my new XC bike would be to catch the train from home (Blaxland at the time) to Warrimoo (there was no way I'd consider riding at the time, that was for lycra wearing weirdo's, and it would have taken me forever to walk all those hills). Anyway, ride down to concrete hill, all the time thinking how hard I'm going to pedal into it and how fast it'll feel. Once I get there, I smash it out of the saddle into the hill, and by habit do my little hop into the downslope of concrete hill. BIG MISTAKE!

OK, so I probably didn't go that high, but compered to the DH bike, it felt like I was in the air forever. When I did land, it was with one of the biggest cases of "poo stance" ever, just in time to hit the dodgy water bar near the bottom with my body locked rigid in fear, and almost crash when I landed of that. For those of you who have seen this hill, you know how much fun that would have been.

Anyway, I learnt my lesson and continued on my merry way, with a new found respect of concrete hill. And I still hop into it every time. :D

Sorry for the long story, but I'm putting of going training so you can all suffer.

GSMatrix

Cannon Fodder
76 clicks down Strath creek crossing in this years Gut full marathon, bloody scary when you hit the wooden bridge at the bottom.

Knut

Troll hunter
Terminal velocity

Does anyone know this? It is about 60kmph freefall. (bike not included). I always thought it was about 90 on a roadie. No doubt the 108 post is real. I won't be challenging it. Good work for having a crack. I was young and stupid once. Now not as young. Spent enogh time in hospitals because of bikes. But I do wonder if the speedo has been calibrated.

Didn't some Canadian chick get the World Record on ice/snow?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know this? It is about 60kmph freefall.
Wha? Are you suggesting the terminal velocity of a human body in free-fall is 60kmh? It's about triple that. (Please spend a few seconds longer with Google .. seriously!)

Sitting on a bike riding down a hill isn't free-falling, except for the fraction of a second you're coming in to land from the apex of your last jump/dropoff - not long enough to reach terminal velocity.

Knut

Troll hunter
Typo

Sorry about the typo. I thought it was 60mpsec. About 54-56 apparently. Hey, it was late. Kmph/mpsec what's a few letters between friends?

"However, by diving or "standing up"in free fall, any experienced skydiver can learn to reach speeds of over 160-180MPH. Speeds of over 200MPH require significant practice to achieve. The record free fall speed, done without any special equipment, is 321MPH. Obviously, it is desirable to slow back down to 110MPH before parachute opening."

If we assume an average acceleration of 9.70 m/s2, it is a simple matter to determine the altitude at which a skydiver starting at 40 km would break the sound barrier.

So, now that is clear and has nothing to do with 108 kmph on a roadie except both are for the temporarily insane. Please except my apology.

Olympic Cyclist and IRONMAN triathlon winner, John Howard set a 152.2 Miles per Hour speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats near Wendover, Utah on July 20, 1985. He is drafting in the wake of a 500 Horsepower Streamliner. This type of human powered record is called motor pacing. The pace vehicle was modified by adding a large tail fairing to the 337 MPH record holding Vesco Streamliner. The fairing keeps the wind off John and reduces the aerodynamic drag he is pedaling against to near nothing.

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
No doubt the 108 post is real. I won't be challenging it. Good work for having a crack. I was young and stupid once. Now not as young. Spent enogh time in hospitals because of bikes. But I do wonder if the speedo has been calibrated.
The speedo had been calibrated based on two roll outs to ensure the front wheel diameter was right, so I'm confident that it's right. The speedo is a Polar 725x HRM, I know that they can have random readings under power lines etc from time to time, but looking at the graph on the computer, it seemed fine. I went down that hill last week into a fairly strong headwind, and still pulled 91 KPH, it's a pretty steep hill!

Young and stupid? Yeah, guilty on both counts:D That said, I defy anyone to look at this hill and not have a crack, it's sweet.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Grave dig!

91.6 kph on the mtb with slicks coming down the Southern Outlet in Hobart (from Mt. Nelson to Hobart).

Head down, chin down near the top tube, ass in the air, just hoping to dear god that my qr's are tight and there are no rocks on the road.
The road is alongside a cliff face and it's not uncommon to see tennis ball sized rocks on the edges of the lanes.