How fast?

Top speed on MTB is 88km/h down "old south road' hill as a thunderstorm and heavy winds approached from sydney.

Top speed on roadie after my MTB excitement was 119km/h with my friend, afew months later, also as the wind from a thunderstorm approaching blew us down the (really steep) hill.

And the two crazy nutters from SHCC who ride a TANDEM!!!! 120km/h. With slicks.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Ok lets see...
86.9 on the roadie, Going down to Roseville bridge
53 on the DH, Lithgow speed trap
70 on the Skateboard, State hiway one going down the bombay hills in NZ. Resulted in a morning in hospital, a week off work and a ticket for $150 from the constablery:eek:

m_g

Likes Dirt
Around 45kph, fixed, being sucked through the Airport Tunnel at the beginning of the M5, at peak hour, literally inches from large trucks.
thats a fun section hey:eek: me and my boss ride to work through there...take a deep breath and pedal like mad...When we're not feeling that brave (especially in afternoon when speed limit changes to 70) we go the back way around the airport, much safer (cycleway) and only adds about 2 kms to the trip overall (32 km)

tu plang

knob
can usually hit 55 on flat ground on the roadie, never really taken much notice on mtbs, once i get on the XC program i'll probably be a bit more aware. could hold this for about 500m and then im pretty rooted. can go a bit faster, ~60 but cant hold it and have a seriously slow, tough ride home after.

actually just the other day, it was 3:57 and i had an assignment due at 4:00pm. ride to uni is 6km and usually takes about 11-12 minutes and a comfortable but solid pace (av 30km/h). well lets say i did it in 7 minutes and was passing cars on the flat at about 57km/h. i've never been motivated to ride so hard.

most of the decent hills around me are peppered with traffic lights, but can usually clear 70km/h coming down the hill from my house.

finally, i think theres atleast a few cases posted where the question should be "how inaccurately can i setup my computer?"

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
finally, i think theres atleast a few cases posted where the question should be "how inaccurately can i setup my computer?"
i was smashing it out up Dornoch the other day and hit 56km/h. first time on the roadie since our last river loop....

;)

100km on a moto haha, nah, I've gone 60km on a downhill mtb with minon's on haha, once i got to 60km i was going going 61km and then before i knew it i was at the bottom of the hill and i was going 30km.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought I'd gravedig this one.

Hit 94 commuting to work yesterday on my roadie (downhill with a tail-wind) which is a record for me. It's SS (43:16) so I just couldn't pedal any faster, had to stop and let gravity take me.

Admittedly it was a bike tacho so I'm claiming 90 anyway. Keen to try and beat it now.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Shimmy

I cracked 90km/h on a carbon fibre roadie at Fitz Hill south of sunny Canberra once, and on the approach to that famous corner where several roadies have died, I nearly did too...

The front wheel touched some small bump on the road, it was harmless enough, but is started a "shimmy" (google for it) on the front wheel, where the wheel was wobbling left and right out of control. To me it looked buckled, majorly, the the reality was the forks were twisting, caught up in some bizarre centrigual force.

Suddenly my smooth 90k/hr descent was a living nightmare with a wobbly front wheel swinging sideways back and forth about 6 inches. If I hit the brakes it got worse (as weight shifted the front), it I grabbed the bars hard (which I insticitvely did in panic), it got worse again, all I could do was yell expletives as the bike carrered toward the armco.

In the end using only back brakes, unweighting the front wheel by sitting up and letting the air slow me down, could I get the bike down to 60km/h where the shimmy subsided and stopped, and so did my heart attack :|

After this incident I decided that was my last run above 60km/h :)

So be careful out there doing this stuff is my advice, it aint worth dieing for!

axertes

Likes Dirt
I pussy out at about 60-65. I don't trust my brakes (Shimano M485). That's an XTC2 on-road on a moderate hill (West st between Stenner and Alderley for you Toowoombaites).

I really wish I knew how accurate my speedo is. It must be roughly accurate as a motorist on Mort st between Bridge and Fiveways slowly cruised up to me and said "you're doing 50 mate". I smiled and gave him a thumb-up and kept riding. My speedo was reading 52 or so.

Than again, I'm pretty sure car speedos are a bit conservative.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I cracked 90km/h on a carbon fibre roadie at Fitz Hill south of sunny Canberra once, and on the approach to that famous corner where several roadies have died, I nearly did too...

The front wheel touched some small bump on the road, it was harmless enough, but is started a "shimmy" (google for it) on the front wheel, where the wheel was wobbling left and right out of control. To me it looked buckled, majorly, the the reality was the forks were twisting, caught up in some bizarre centrigual force.

Suddenly my smooth 90k/hr descent was a living nightmare with a wobbly front wheel swinging sideways back and forth about 6 inches. If I hit the brakes it got worse (as weight shifted the front), it I grabbed the bars hard (which I insticitvely did in panic), it got worse again, all I could do was yell expletives as the bike carrered toward the armco.

In the end using only back brakes, unweighting the front wheel by sitting up and letting the air slow me down, could I get the bike down to 60km/h where the shimmy subsided and stopped, and so did my heart attack :|

So be careful out there doing this stuff is my advice, it aint worth dieing for!
i might of posted this earlier in this thread, but i did 82km (my record) down there on my old xtc with cross marks and a back pack on. i had a safer ride except i had no glasses and my eyes were watering up and i couldnt see the dips in the road.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my pb is 76 klm/h. This was achieved on a vt giant down Quaids Road, in between Port Douglas and Cairns. This road is actually not open to vehicles as it was built for a real estate developer a few years ago, but without approval! So..... as you can guess, council wasnt to happy 'bout it !!!!. Any way, this road starts on the coast and works its wasy to the top of the tablelands. It is great to ride as there is no traffic.Actually , come to think .... I did see a tractor on it one day ! SO... after riding up, just get into a tuck position and HOLD ON !!! Once I actually held a video camera in one hand and held on for grim death with the other hand. That day i clocked just under 70!!!!:)

krizbike

Likes Dirt
How many people hate magpies!
Has anyone ever come off because of magpies, and if so was it a good stack or an average one?
I haven't come off. I've been hit on the ear and had blood running down my neck, and I've had one swoop me while I was doing 60km/h down a long hill (travelling away from the next - vindictive little bastards!).

A friend got hit on the side of the head by one while cornering, high sided his bike. The result was a dislocated shoulder, and a nasty gash which then became infected and took months to heal.

I fecking hate Magpies.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt

Last year a mate was flying down at a few clicks over 100, then into the last corner one of the youngens came flying past him into the corner... would have had to have been doing 115-120... on restricted gearing (ie all gravity)

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
I was coming back down from charlottes pas to jindy during summer on the roadie, was sitting up cruising down doing 75-80km/h most of the way down then a bloke that would have been at least 110kg was sitting on the top tube tucked down like robbie mac and made me look as though i was standing still.
going down there in 2 weeks, never been, but have been told 100 is easy down there... bloody excited!