How fast?

akashra

Eats Squid
I've hit 74 a few times in a few places, though I could go higher if I were pushing. Each time I've been backing off as I just don't feel comfortable at those kinds of speeds.
One place it's frequently done is on the run back to Frankston, and the other is outside Churchill Park.

On the way back home the other day, near High Street/Glen Waverly/Bushy Park, I hit 83km/h... It may or may not have been a 50 zone. Oops.

89.5km/h in 1993

What: Giant Acapolco MTB, v-brakes, SR-Duo-Trak suspension forks, 2.1 knobbys.
Where: Mount Sugarloaf (west of Newcastle) sealed road - top to bottom full length!

And, usually twice a week:

75+ km/h down Nothcott Dr, Kotara, Newcastle on a <censored>.

killa_au

Likes Dirt
well a school nearby my house had one of those 40km/h school billboard speedos lol me and my mates must of spent atleast a day just riding past it as quick as we could
:Dwhere it shows you how fast your going and flashes if your over 40km/h
and i would it was showing 48km/h on my mtbhttp://forums.farkin.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif
:p
as for down a hill no idea lol ive got to find a speedo for the bike

104Km down Baldwin Street, Dunedin, New Zealand. 1995 on a hardtail.
Steepest Street in the World. Concrete slabs at the top, sealed at the bottom.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive hit about 80+ on my mtb. we ride in lerdederg state park in the pyrite range and some of the hills are like 60 degrees steep. at the bottom of one hill it goes back up again after about 10-15 meters of flat and you can feel some g's on that one.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
On the old state mine Dh track we had a speed trap for a race and riders were clocking over 65 on rough single track

I clocked 50 there, ON MY DJ HARDTAIL!

One could say I'm proud of it. :D

Needless to say i went over the bars pretty soon afterwards....

Aro

Likes Bikes
91km/h in the rain north bound down roseville bridge, cant wait to give it a go in the dry & peddle all the way, will be shitting myself though.

akashra

Eats Squid
299kph on a two wheeled gixxer 1000.
Just a word to anyone who decides to do this while motorpacing a road race: Please don't. We can't keep up, I promise, and it tends to make the peloton very, very angry.
;)

84km/h is the most I've hit, on a hardtail down a bike path in Upper Ferntree Gully next to Mountain Highway. Sudden sharp left hander at the bottom so you gotta brake a few hundred meters before the bottom ;)

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just got a decent roadie so ill be hoping to hit 100km/h very soon...

2 years ago on the GVBR i hit 84km/h but i had to keep slowing down as there were alot of people and id hate to hit one :eek:

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Seems the right place to ask... Any of you guys been busted for speeding?
(besides the nutter on the skateboard a few pages back:eek:)

Im just curious as i know you can but ive never heard of anybody actually getting fined.

scblack

Leucocholic
I thought I was doing really good getting to 76.9kmh down the Warringah Freeway to Kirribilli roundabout. I've only had the roadie a couple of weeks.

Doesn't look that fast compared to some.:eek:

I can maintain 47-48kmh on the flat and top out at about 60 I think on the flat.

So far for my ride to work, average speed has been best 28.8kmh, thats 33km distance.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I thought I was doing really good getting to 76.9kmh down the Warringah Freeway to Kirribilli roundabout. I've only had the roadie a couple of weeks.

Doesn't look that fast compared to some.:eek:

I can maintain 47-48kmh on the flat and top out at about 60 I think on the flat.

So far for my ride to work, average speed has been best 28.8kmh, thats 33km distance.
Yeah - some pretty crazy number being chucked about here. :)
I sat on the high 40s today for a while on the flat, but then got stuffed when the guy in front decided to speed up. Don't think I've ever got to 60 on the flat - that's impressive! I try to keep average to 27-28, but have a bastard hill to ride up on the way home (can just keep it over 10km/h!) which tends to ruin averages.
I've hit 78 on my roadie (pedalling), and 73 on the same hill on my hardtail (just coasting - love my new American Classics wheels). There is a steeper hill, but I would be worried about some twit pulling out in front of me. Takes a long time to pull at those speeds (especially on a roadie - squeeeeeeek).

cya,
Chris

XTCPom

Likes Bikes
Managed 72kmh on this year's Angry Doctor, and have hit 82kmh going down Mona Vale Road on HT with knobblies. Also hit 86 down to Spit Bridge from Seaforth on HT with slicks, whilst wearing a rucksack.

Used to have a road bike in UK when I were a lad - long descent managed to take my friends speedo (old style needle, like in a car) past the 60mph mark and back round to the stop at zero - looked like about 75mph, say 115kmh. Wearing jeans, t-shirt and trainers, and no helmet. Them were the days.

As for the flat, my gearing lets me get to about 45-50 then I fail!!

Timbers

Likes Dirt
And to add to the list of low self preservation sickos on here, the leading riders in the 2006 Mega Avalanche at Dhuez were doing 120 kmh plus..........................on a farking Glacier!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
63.5km on the old V-braked Avanti Hardtail.

The new capable, disc-braked Avanti Hardtail hasn't been used on the same descent yet.....

Neon

Likes Dirt
i got onjly around 70k's on one of those 'comfort bikes' (half mountain, half road).
i was flying down this gravel road with the road bike tyres on it aswell

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Ok. I knew I'd reply to this thread one day.

My top speed was back in about 1993. I would've been about 15 at the time. I was riding my 12th birthday present, a Shogun Trailblazer II, resplendent in pearl white. I used to do the odd triathlon on it for a season or two.

Anyway, I hit 83km/h down the 'big dipper' from Baulkham Hills to North Rocks with fat slicks on. I'd done mid 70's down the hill a few times before without peddling too much at the top, so I thought I'd give it a bit more of a go. Pretty stable at speed she was too, the old Trailblazer.