How fast?

Mick01

Likes Bikes
any of the old schooler's remember how fast Josh Street did behind the motor home in the US?? 130kmh springs to mind, but I forget now. Suffice to say, it was crazily fast, someone will recall the exact figure.
I was reading about that only yesterday in an old AMB (Apr/may '04) I found lying around. Apparently he hit 143km/h on a long hill, slipstreaming behind a motorhome and using a 62 tooth chain ring!

Mick

hey southy, i got 78 km/h down macgregor in Rockhampton aswell, but this was on a road bike, i havent recorded my speed on a BMX or MTB. :D

Ummm to answer your question southy, i don't have a mountain bike anymore, i just sold it, it was a 2005 model mongose fireball and i had done a few things to it so it was a bit better :eek:

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've busted the 70kmh mark on my fixie - doesn't sound like much I know but I was pedalling the whole time........knee exploding fun:D

I've busted the 70kmh mark on my fixie - doesn't sound like much I know but I was pedalling the whole time........knee exploding fun:D
N plus one, when you say that you were pedalling the whole time, does that mean that you were on a flat road or were you pedalling down a hill?

krisko

Likes Dirt
On this topic has anyone actually got speed wobbles and recovered from them and/or stacked it hard from them?

For those that may not be aware speed wobbles are a phenomonen associated with travelling fast and the front wheel swaying left to right visciously.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Downhill it was, interesting thing though - it didn't get dodgy until I tried to "re-engage" the legs to brake for the intersection near the bottom of the hill. Apparently it was a bit wrong when viewed from behind - rear wheel jumped about a foot up and sideways......yeehah:D

DaGonz

Eats Squid
On this topic has anyone actually got speed wobbles and recovered from them and/or stacked it hard from them?
No but I've had the odd step out at speed, at least one I can still remember vividly, heading down bobbin head road, on the wet at about 50km/h round a corner, stepped it out. Everything goes in slow mo... Is this going to bite and high side? is this going to slide? or is it just going to fall back in line? Nothing I could think would be worse than a high side into the black stuff at 50km/h. I think it was just lucky it was a bit wet so there was a bit of give or somesuch when the back tyre landed, but not so much that it kept going. I had to stuff my heart back down my throat and empty my shorts afterwards though! ;)

Cheers
Gonz

YEAH, i got pretty bad speed wobbles going down a hill, i was going about 50 maybe 60 km/h and my mate swerved coz a magpie swooped him, and then i swerved so i wouldnt hit him, and that is when it began, i almost came off, lucky for my barkes i could hold on for long enough to stop lol :eek:

bazza

look at me

For those that may not be aware speed wobbles are a phenomonen associated with travelling fast and the front wheel swaying left to right visciously.
if you keep your body weight in the right position and keep the bike stable this shouldn't be a problem on a bike unless your heaps sp ed.

aero position rules. go speed racer go.

if you keep your body weight in the right position and keep the bike stable this shouldn't be a problem on a bike

aero position rules. go speed racer go.
lol, unless you are swerving to miss hitting someone, then your body weight and postion are thrown completely to the wrong place on the bike, and in my case, resulting in speed wobbles :eek:

The funki 1

Likes Dirt
A friend and i were taking turns at the front down the main road of Kinglake (Melbourne, Victoria) and we caught a logging truck, we followed the truck the entire way down doing about 86km/h!!!!

I know this is no land/speed record but the hill is really not that steep the truck's slipstream literally towed us down the hill and along the flat for about a kilometre or so...:)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
A friend and i were taking turns at the front down the main road of Kinglake (Melbourne, Victoria) and we caught a logging truck, we followed the truck the entire way down doing about 86km/h!!!!

I know this is no land/speed record but the hill is really not that steep the truck's slipstream literally towed us down the hill and along the flat for about a kilometre or so...:)
Bet the trucky was happy about that one..:rolleyes:

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i hit 100 on my first mtb Apollo fully rigid with canti brakes and 105 on my roadie down mt tambourine in my most aero tuck.

sman

Cannon Fodder
86km/h down Madison Dr in Newcastle on Cannondale Rush.
Lady in a car pulled off the road to let me overtake her.
Bit dangerous there as it is a suburban st