Help! There's a duck in my bike!! (diagnose the sound)

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Was in Bright over the weekend and on the second last run for the day it seems I ran over a duck and it's now a stowaway.

Here is a video with the sound happening in multiple different situations:

First thought was tyre buzzing against seat so I raised my dropper a bit but no dice (also the sound appears in areas of trail where its very unlikely I'm using a tonne of travel)
Checked the rear triangle for tyre marks from flex but none (happens on dead straight sections so even less likely this is the case).
Running a coil so no chance of toast air shock sounds.

I tried replicating it on the street by cycling suspension pretty hard and also pinning it into my driveway and compressing hard on the transition. No quack.

Whilst I was riding, it sounded like the sound was coming from in front of me so my suspicions are:
  • CSU creak (I did a minor lowers twist test whilst the bike was upside down and I stood on my handlebars, there was some slight clicking but have yet to pull the fork off and chuck it in a vice)
  • Fork bushings
  • Cooked headset (Couldn't replicate any noises from headset in garage)
  • It was a duck but was unimpressed by my riding and has now left
Bike is a 2018 Canyon Torque with 180mm Lyriks

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I’m thinking one or more of the following:
  • saddle rails rubbing on plastic seat moulding
  • saddle rails against dropper post clamp
  • dropper post inside seat tube
These noises can sound like they’re coming from anywhere.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The duckmeister squawk sounds close to the camera.... maybe even grips.

F#%king aussie dust wreaks havoc with many components.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Had very similar sound in my old hardtail, only got it on trails when I was turning the handlebars sharply jumping or re-adjusting from one of my regular errors. Did what ozzybmx suggested in first post, squeak gone. Was in the front somewhere, I suspect headset.
Goodluck.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Sweet input fellas.

I'm standing throughout the footage so there's no pressure of any sorts on the seat.
All the pivots were freshly cleaned and lubed pre 2 rides ago during lockdown.
Shock pivot also cleaned and lubed, plus its a DU polymer one.
Double checked if any cables are rubbing against tyre and also enough slack under BB.

Headset hasn't seen some love in a while so I'm going to pull the fork off, do a CSU creak test (even though its not really a clicky sound) and clean n submerge the headset in marine grease.

Very odd that I can't make it quack whilst bashing it around on the street.

Hmmm new bike hey? ...
Next week: FS 1x Canyon Torque, lightly ridden, presents as new, upgraded grips, 12.5k, will throw in a duck for a good price

Cheers!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok I actually watched the clip. First off I'm dissapointed by the lack of a-lines on hero and you missed the wall ride. If you had have hit those the Stoke level would be so bi you wouldn't notice the noise.

Have you checked:

- inside heel edge of your shoes for tyre rub. I've done this a few times and it's that kind of sound.

- that none of your cables are brushing the wheel.

- that your cock remained holstered the whole ride and didn't slip out your shorts and brush the tyre? Oh wait...see my opening statement.

- are you wearing heavy nylon motorcross style shorts that might brush the tyre?

- you might have just got a leaf o stick stuck up in your stays and it brushed the tyre a bit but is now gone.