Help! There's a duck in my bike!! (diagnose the sound)

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I had a similar noise once that ended up being the brake hose was sitting where it shouldn't have and rubbed the tyre, but only when the suspension compressed enough to allow the brake hose to flex the wrong way and contact the tyre. Of course, static and carpark checks failed to find it as the suspension never compressed enough at the time.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Did a CSU creak test and it was all good.
The headset needed some love so gave it a thorough clean and grease. Bearings still OK.
Coil taken off and cleaned the collar and spring.
Cables inspected and they're flush against the frame so very low odds of rubbing with tyre.

I have a slight suspicion it was the stem cap rubbing against the spacer as the bolt wasn't as tight as I thought it should be. The stem cap is cone shaped and spacer is flat so slight looseness may cause it to move under load?

Anyways, will be back in Bright in the next few weeks so will observe if any wildlife decides to hitch a ride again.

Cheers for all the input!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doubt it's this, you'd likely end up with a loose headset clunk as well if those bits were moving around that much
My guess is a pivot bearing or a bit of crap jammed in one of the pivot areas that has since fallen/worn out, a tiny rock or large grain of sand.

I have a slight suspicion it was the stem cap rubbing against the spacer as the bolt wasn't as tight as I thought it should be. The stem cap is cone shaped and spacer is flat so slight looseness may cause it to move under load?