Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

kom123

Likes Bikes
Hi Vets, Scott here,

How old are you? 43
What state do you live? NSW, Sydney (western suburbs)
How long have you been riding? MTB - on and off 15 years or so
Whats styles of riding do you do? Mainly XC (and also have a roadie for the occasional fitness ride)
How often do you ride? Have been offroad every weekend since the start of the year and try and getsome mid-week rides in when possible
Tell us about your bike/s? Avanti Vapour 2.6 (the 2011 model of this http://www.avantibikes.com/xc-race-dual-suspension/vapour2.aspx?bid=398), changed tyres to Schwalbes, using a Dropzone adjustable seatpost (http://www.avantibikes.com/xc-race-dual-suspension/vapour2.aspx?bid=398) and have changed my pedals back to Jet Black flats until I get my skills and confidence back after a seven year layoff
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No, just the usual bike stacks most people experience at some stage
Do you compete and at what level? Weather permitting, will be going in Mont24 next weekend, my first MTB official event!
Any cycling highights worth posting? Maybe after next weekend :)
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Tend to scour "today's posts"
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? I'm pretty easy going and patient but condescending people get my blood boiling!

gbear

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 43yo.
What state do you live? Armidale, NSW.
How long have you been riding? 35 years
Whats styles of riding do you do? Grew up on BMX, then roadie for a few years, did some triathlons and lycra stuff, then Downhill/FR/4X, and now XC
How often do you ride? 4-5days a week
Tell us about your bike/s? 2012 X1 Anthem 29er, Foes 4X 2009, Intense M3 2002, PK Ripper , SE Racing quadangle ( both early 80's models,).
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? broken arms, femur, fractured L4-5, many many concussions
Do you compete and at what level? raced World champs from age 13-16 BMX ( made a few semis and a few finals ( due to others falling off :) ), Pro Sport DH
Any cycling highights worth posting? Did one of the first Redbull Rampage events in Jindabyne many years ago. Scary as hell
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? More of a lurker
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? ... rude, elitist pricks

YetiSi

Cannon Fodder
BMX as a kids

How old are you? 43.
What state do you live? Brissvagas QLD
How long have you been riding? MTB since 1998,
Whats styles of riding do you do? Grew up riding BMX, but now mainly XC/AM
How often do you ride? 2 days a week on average
Tell us about your bike/s? 2009 Yeti 575, 2004 Trek Liquid 25 (the first of the 5" AM/trail bikes)
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? broke my arm riding around the city just before the floods (too wet to ride the trails), who put that set of steps there.
Do you compete and at what level? Pro rider @ elite level, but only when sound asleep :) to lazy when awake.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Riding Coed Y Brennin in North Wales, what a place!!!
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? For sale

camzh

Likes Dirt
Hi All, still very much a newbie here !

How old are you? 33
What state do you live? NSW Recently moved to Ermington so tend to get to the 4x and BMX track at Homebush a fair bit.
How long have you been riding? since I was a kid, but in the last 2-3 years more seriously
Whats styles of riding do you do? I have no idea, but I like Dirt Jumping and do a bit of comutting
How often do you ride? Try and get out at least once a week,
Tell us about your bike/s? Mostly been riding my Fluid Tantrum for weekend stuff, got an Old Giant Rincon (ridgid) for commuting. Have a 24" BMX for pretending to be younger, a Cell Fixie for flat stuff and just got an Eastern Night Train from here for more fun weekend stuff

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nothing too serious, bruises mostly, managed to get a concussion for the 1st time in my life about a year ago
Do you compete and at what level? no
Any cycling highights worth posting? not really.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? still not sure, only been looking around for a few hours :)
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Optus, just connect my friggin phone already !!!!!

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 40yo.
What state do you live? Main Beach, GC, QLD.
How long have you been riding? 2 months. Rode BMX as a youngster until I was 15
What styles of riding do you do? XC, Single track, trying to build my skills again so I can ride DH later on.
How often do you ride? 3-4 times a week.
Tell us about your bike/s? Merida Matts 40, hardtail...but thats just fine for now.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Thankfully no.
Do you compete and at what level? No.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Getting 2 inches of air is not post worthy I think ;)
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? For sale, Phat snaps(like photography) and really anything here...its all good!
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Where has all the respect gone? I own a website(with forum) so I am constantly reminded that I say that a lot!

Greetings and see you out there!

strezd

Likes Bikes
How old are you?

What state do you live?
VIC

How long have you been riding?
Um....its been probably 20 years since I rode. Till this week.

Whats styles of riding do you do?
Dream style atm but I'd love to ride all styles except for "I have a carbon drink holder" style.

How often do you ride?
This week I test rode a few bikes so...5 times a week :)

Tell us about your bike/s?
I have a Scott Genius 50 on lay by and I ride my 5 y/o sons bmx when he's not looking.

Do you compete and at what level?
Did a few bmx races when I was 8

Any cycling highights worth posting?
2nd out of two. Got a trophy and all! That other kid was like foot taller.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant?
I have too many to mention, my tablet will go flat or explode from depression before I list them all.

Can't wait till I get my bike. Its been too long. How did it come to this? Life has a way.
Time to change all that.

ALfromTheGym

Likes Bikes
How old are you? Turned 30 in Jan 2012
What state do you live? ACT but from Brisbane originally
How long have you been riding? On and off for 15-16years
Whats styles of riding do you do? downhill and recently got into all mountain
How often do you ride? Twice a week
Tell us about your bike/s? DH - 2010 Intense 951 w Fox 40's and Saint everything. AM - 2011 Trek Cratch 9 air.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Cut left little finger off with a bike pump years ago. Took a header at the 2009 CORC dh round held at Isaacs and spent the after in hospital getting numerous scans and 17 stitches around my left eye.
Do you compete and at what level? Yes. Was racing CORC dh sports but going to Vets this year.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Not really.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Riding - Downhill and All Mountain. Post you ride. For sale.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Cyclist on the road who expect to be treated like legitimate road using vehicles but don't obey the road rules. And those STUPID recumbent bikes that people ride now, you can't see them in traffic only their dumb orange flag. It like being followed/passed by a remote control car ffs.

Nerb

Squid
How old are you? 38... this "Vets" thread makes me feel old, but before i read it i thought i only turned 20-something last birthday.

What state do you live? VIC eastern burbs

How long have you been riding? On and off forever, usually starting when i think about how unfit i am.

Whats styles of riding do you do? Anything on a mountain bike

How often do you ride? A few times a week when Q3 above is active.

Tell us about your bike/s? Had a malvern star with a wierd Y-shaped frame for years and told everyone else that if you want to get fit you need a crap bike. Now i joust bought a Cannondale Jekyll and realise all the fun ive been missing... wow this thing is good to ride!

Have you had any significant bike related injuries. Not yet! But i intend to visit the Youyangs more often.

Do you compete and at what level? Ha!

Any cycling highights worth posting? Coming soon im sure

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Ive visited the for sale forums many times before (hence the join date in 2009), but now im keen to read them all.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Did i tell you what i just bought! And did i mention its a Carbon 1?.

Howie66

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 31
What state do you live? VIC
How long have you been riding? 4 years, as an adult.. Up until I was 18 as a kid
Whats styles of riding do you do? Freeride all mountian, DH, BMX race/dirt sometimes
How often do you ride? 3-4 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Reign X1, Norco A-Line, GT Power series Race, Eastern Grim Reaper
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Plenty, none for a while though which is good! Broken collar bone in 08 set me back a while!
Do you compete and at what level? Nah but im going to the cressy decent day
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? DH, Freeride, Vets, For sale, BMX race thread

batesy

Squid
How old are you? 30
What state do you live? VIC
How long have you been riding? on and off for last 16 years, racing up until i was 18 (xc)
Whats styles of riding do you do? xc fire trails single track what ever i can find?
How often do you ride? 3-4 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? oldschool raceline expert with judy tts, and a KHS softail with xt/xtr
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? lots of bark off but nothing serious musnt be going hard enough
Do you compete and at what level? havent for bout 8 years but thinking about it again now
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? xc/for sale/vic

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 42
What state do you live? NSW now but born/raised and worked in NZ
How long have you been riding? On and off all my life. Used to do around 120km per week when I was 12 going to school and the paper round on a 3 speed Raleigh 20.
Whats styles of riding do you do? Mountain mainly as I'm surrounded by state and national parks but the lazy part of me likes to do the cycle track in Wollongong along the beach every so often or anywhere where is may be interesting and flat.
How often do you ride? 3-4 times a week when weather great otherwise about 1 or twice per month.
Tell us about your bike/s? Current is an Teocali Comp 08 I brought second hand and have spent another $600 on it. Cheaper to buy new I suspect but the financial controller said no.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? A few minor - last decent attempt in NZ put me off work for 4 days and still have the scar to prove it.
Came off here about 3 months back but no loss of time off work and only minor loss of blood although those rocks were sharp!
Do you compete and at what level? Nope. Too fat and slow and one too many come off's has sapped the confidence level some what.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Pretty much everything but most for sale stuff and general chat

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
Hello! Welcome! This is Me!

How old are you?
XXXIV
What state do you live?
Sydney of the Newest South Wales
30 years (give or take a day or two)
DH, FR/AM, Trials, to the shops, Wheelies
How often do you ride?
2-3 times a week but not as often as I like, nor as often as my bike parts expenditure would indicate.
Like all of us i've had many, currently the line up is:
2009 Intense SS, DeeMax, Saint, Fox, Hope Tech M4's, Protapers, plus every trick part known to bike kind.. except the grips, they're shitty.
2006 Giant STP 1, single speed setup rolling on some sweet Crank Bros Iodines with some DMR tricky bits... this generally what i take to the 7-eleven for my Slurpies.
2007 Santa Cruz Jackal... sadly met it's maker with a tree but am looking for a replacement frame* as I love this bike, obviously a little too much since it's now sporting some lovely dents.
2011 Inspired Fourplay, with Atomlab rims on custom Hope hubs (yes genuinely custom, not just fancy paint), Saint 4potters (some say too much for a trials bike but brake feel says different).
2007 24 bicycles LeToy IV (frame only), i keep it near the front door in case i get robbed as it's more useful as a heavy weapon against intruders than an actual bike.
2002 Specialized TRX-24 Vegas.. stock as a rock, but a nice rock.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
Fractured skull, broken foot, broken right hand, broken fingers, broken ribs (lots), torn ligaments... not all at the same time though, i like to pace myself with these things.
Used to compete in trials & bmx events back in the UK... but nothing these days, just against mates and my own shadow who only seems to win in the late afternoon.
I fondly remember the first time i pedal kicked up a picnic table, then later my first Hop to Manual to Tailwhip... was pretty stoked with both of those at the time but the bones aren't what they used to be these days and the responsibility of running my own business has taken it's toll on the frequency and confidence with which I throw my bike around.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
I'm pretty eclectic there, often i surf rotorburn blindfolded and just click when the wind tells me... but i do seem to gravitate to the For Sale section.
Hate: Political parties in general, generally just a bunch of turds polishing other turds.
Love: Passionate people talking enthusiastically about creative pursuits, doesn't matter what but i always find that inspiring... unless they're dick heads of course.

*If you've a Large Jackal frame (the older hump style) you'd like to sell me, shoot me a PM, cheers.

Last edited:

OIL

Likes Dirt
Matty

How old are you? 38
What state do you live? VIC - Mornington Peninsula
How long have you been riding? 36 years ;)
Whats styles of riding do you do? Mainly XC MTB now (played BMX for many years - miss my Haro Grp1 dearly and my EH panel-van to carry it in) - plenty of road riding thanks to dad (60 this year and still outguns me on the road and any MTB climb)
How often do you ride? 2-3 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Currently riding Merida Bitsa Rebuild (nothing original apart from frame and brakes) haven't upgraded brakes as it helps my downhill times not being able to stop...
Sunday family rider is just an old Mongoose pro V Brake special 1 x 9 speed with Recon's etc. actually pops a really good mono.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Just got plaster off from wrist injury - (check out this months AMB letters for my crazy 'cant ride' face)
Do you compete and at what level? Not for long time but look at all the events coming up! Elevation looking great - post the locations Ben! Level? BOTTOM
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? For Sale. For Sale. For Sale. For Sale

Old C

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 43
What state do you live? VIC - Eastern Suburbs of Melbo
How long have you been riding? 6 years
Whats styles of riding do you do? I claim to be an XC MTB, but commuting puts me on a road bike more often than the MTB, but there is no shaving or lycra!
How often do you ride? 8 - 10 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Recently upgraded from 08 Epic to 2012 S works Epic 29er; now i can really smoke my mates!
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Knocked myself out on Crissys Climb. My mates put me back on the bike, but I didn't truely wake up until I was about 400 meters from the car, so I must have ridden in a daze for about 3 km. And my mates call me an Old C!
Do you compete and at what level? I like to do a casual 50k XC race every couple of months to keep me focussed
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? XC, and anything new that interests me regarding bike set-up and discussions about getting the most out of MTB

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Whats styles of riding do you do? I claim to be an XC MTB, but commuting puts me on a road bike more often than the MTB, but there is no shaving or lycra!
Haha, I said that same thing to myself. Now all I can say is I will not shave.
Oh and I am a XC MTBer ;) No lycra on the MTB yet.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How old are you? 42 chronologically, varies mentally between 10 and 42
What state do you live? Wonderful Apathy, The State of Excitement!!!!!!!
How long have you been riding? 39 years. Usual progression, push along to little bike to BMX to Road to MTB to Road and MTB
Whats styles of riding do you do? AM/singletrack but I am getting back into street/park
How often do you ride? Probably averages out to twice per week.
Tell us about your bike/s? Trek Scratch Air-8 with a few mods. Trek Road bike. Soon to be park/street bike
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Lots
Do you compete and at what level?. ] No and most likely never will.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Nepal in 2000 and again in 2001 and 60kph down St Georges Terrace fanging right turn into Victoria Ave @ 22:00 and into a 12" square curb where there should have been a pedestrian ramp (there now is) and better lighting (or I should have been going a wee bit slower) 20m nose wheelie to RPH A+E thanks to an observent Taxi driver who spotted my body and still burning headlamp on the grass. Stair gap to Shopping Trolley corale rails at a Shopping Centre was another highlight. I'm in agony and a Security Guard is all "tsk tsk" at me for trespassing.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? I contribute regularly to What are you listening to NOW. I lurk the For Sale Section and General MTB discussion a lot.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Got a week?, Ill make your ears bleed.

Last edited:

digitalformula

Likes Bikes
How old are you?

What state do you live?
VIC (Melbourne)

Bikes in general for as long as I can remember, raced XC for a few years back in the day ... all up, 30+ years easy

XC mostly, since I'm rubbish at DH. Managed to tear all sorts of shoulder-related parts to pieces when I went to Whistler. :)

How often do you ride?
Try to ride 4-5 times a week (Lysterfield when it's open, Yarra trails for an easy thrash)

Had 3, now have 1. Carbon fibre Cannondale Scalpel 1 with a few changes (XTR race brakes, XX GripShift - see, I'm super old school). This frame is for sale, although I can't list in the for sale forums yet, unfortunately. Working on that ...

Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
5 vertebrae permanently out of place thanks to wrapping my back around a tree trunk, many kilos of flesh left on many trails, subacromial bursitis + some semi-permanent tendon damage (the Whistler thing)

Did compete at sport level and won a few races, got told off for winning a race by 10 minutes so I tried expert and got thrashed by NZ's top racer (haha). Haven't competed for years but won the last race I did back home in NZ. Would like to race again, though.

Whistler Whistler Whistler. That place is truly something else. Going 103kph down a public motorway in Wellington (NZ) on my road bike. Going 87kph down Mt Climie (DH race), also in Wellington.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
I'm very new here so can't really say, yet. :)

All the laws VIC has to protect cyclists that aren't enforced. EVER. Also, nearly getting run over today by a car with a bumper sticker showing a bike with the words "1 Meter Matters." Irony, right there.

Last edited: