Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

krisko

Likes Dirt
Easy, the hubs have weights assigned as per Dt Swiss, as do spokes and nipples.
They simply deducted the weight of the rear hub together with spokes and nipples.

Sounds correct.

I also have the Giant Contact SLR bar another not worthy mention would be the 3T flat bars (also in the new mag with the review)

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Well Well Well,

As we always have stated the Anthem 29er has test slightly better than the Gary Fisher Superfly 100.

Now thats an achievement !!!

So anyone looking to read the article buy the Febuary edition of Australian Mountain Bike .

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
So amb have convinced me that the bar has to go, more the straw that broke the biker's back. I've seen a few mentioned on here, but there must be more of you out there who've changed the bar. As the pp said the 3t does look the goods

extreme_dog

Likes Bikes
Well Well Well,

As we always have stated the Anthem 29er has test slightly better than the Gary Fisher Superfly 100.

Now thats an achievement !!!

So anyone looking to read the article buy the Febuary edition of Australian Mountain Bike .
Coupled with the fact you'll have saved about $6g I don't know how they compare. On another note where was the specialized epic 29er?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Yep Specialzsed, and many more - there were quite a few names missing from the comparo, but still, it was a good read.

If they're not being constrained by price (as obviously they aren't) they could include half a dozen more. But I suspect it wouldn't have chamged the result :cool:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Heh, i ran into chris southwood from AMB on the trails a few months back and had a good chat with him about my AX29er. I think he said it was the first one he'd seen out in the wild and I really ripped into the bars - it was the week after a 50km ride where my wrists really started to hurt.

Glad to see he found the same when testing!

Now if work would let up so i could just go riding.. haven't been out for a fortnight now :(

tzkev

Likes Bikes
I just did a rough calculation on how easy it is to go sub 11kg on a anthem 29er

My bike out of the box medium 11.800kg
New KCNC post $100 save .138g
New bars Giant slr $125 save .141G
New Tubes 26" conti $35 save .134g
New Full Titanium cassette $220 save .138g
New tyres Furious fred 2.0 $150P save .480g
New rims (stans Crest) $200 save .160g
Totals =$830 10.609KG

All weight info i have either gathered from this thread or from weighing my own components. All prices include freight to my door, but does not inc labor to install.:eek:

Smokes the Fisher

notime

Likes Dirt
I have also now gone tubless on the standard rims with the Bontrager rim strips and valves as per earlier posts from others. Trek store Rouse hill got the strips in for me. The crossmark sidewalls where hammered so changed to tubless ready Specialized the captain's.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
I just did a rough calculation on how easy it is to go sub 11kg on a anthem 29er

My bike out of the box medium 11.800kg
New KCNC post $100 save .138g
New bars Giant slr $125 save .141G
New Tubes 26" conti $35 save .134g
New Full Titanium cassette $220 save .138g
New tyres Furious fred 2.0 $150P save .480g
New rims (stans Crest) $200 save .160g
Totals =$830 10.609KG

All weight info i have either gathered from this thread or from weighing my own components. All prices include freight to my door, but does not inc labor to install.:eek:

Smokes the Fisher
My Bike as Listed below

New KCNC post Fitted
New bars FSA K Force Fitted (126 g)
New FSA OS 99 Stem Fitted (113g)
New Foss Tubes Fitted (120 g Each )
Cassette Standard XT
New Front Tire Maxis Ignitor Fitted
Rear Tyre STD
New Wheels
Hope Pro 2 Hubs
Dt Sper Comp Spokes
Stans Crest Rims Fitted
Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals Fitted (272g )
Weighs Is at 11.07 kgs

Last edited:

tzkev

Likes Bikes
My Bike as Listed below

New KCNC post Fitted
New bars FSA K Force Fitted (126 g)
New Foss Tubes Fitted (120 g Each )
Cassette Standard XT
New Front Tire Maxis Ignitor Fitted
Rear Tyre STD
New Wheels
Hope Pro 2 Hubs
Dt Sper Comp Spokes
Stans Crest Rims Fitted
Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals Fitted (272g )
Weighs Is at 11.07 kgs
This cassette will get you into the sub 11'S
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160544426749&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited:

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Tzkev,
This will do me I don't really want to shell out $200-00 for a cassette. 11.07 is good enough for a hack !!!

So AMB mag seems to give them the thumbs up. how could they not!

However they do seem to make the common remark that the bars are rubbish..I do tend to agree, so would be interested to hear of others that have upgraded the bar...

I am keen on carbon bling and some weight savings, also thinking a little sweep and possibly some rise..3T, and giant appear to have a couple of good alternatives.
I went for this bar as an upgrade and to get a little bit more sweep to save the wrists. Flipped the stem, and kept the spacers. Yet to race in this configuration, but it feels better already.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crank-brothers-cobalt-11-xc-carbon-riser-bar/

tegski

Likes Dirt
Changed the bars to EC 70 flat bars as I like the carbon vibration absorbtion.
Also agree with the AMB comment re the cable rub on the rear shock. I saw a solution a while ago on some pro's bike and remembered - It works really well. Simple cable tie and plastic tube in-between cable outers. If you have a slight case of OCD you can even use a blue cable tie:p

Attachments

StevOOO

Squid
Hi there! I bought my X29er last week and only managed to get in the trails this weekend. It was my first taste of mtbs and I loved it.

Just to echo some of the sentiments here I also have some pains in my wrist/palm after both 15km rides. Having read AMB and read the comments here I am contemplating upgrading the bar but have a few questions before I go out and buy.

Originally I thought maybe the seat height was too high (although pedalling position is fine) and that I was leaning on the front bars too much. Could this be a cause of my discomfort?

Other than that when looking at a replacement bar should I be going for a flat or rise bar. What is fundamentally wrong with the stock flat bar?

Thanks

gaz0303

Squid
Hi Steve000,

My first attempt at trail riding was a 12 hour. I could hardly drive home with the pain in my wrists and hands.

A few things before you spend money. What angle are your brake levers at? Mine came from the shop with the levers parallel to the ground - didn't know that was wrong until an experience rider corrected them. LBS a bit slack with MTB at the time. Putting the levers lower (see link) fixed my issues.

A good set of gel gloves also helps - I have a pair of specialized ridge.

More riding will also help.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/ar...em-x-29er--first-ride-review&mlc=news/article

jdog73

Likes Bikes
Hi there! I bought my X29er last week and only managed to get in the trails this weekend. It was my first taste of mtbs and I loved it.

Just to echo some of the sentiments here I also have some pains in my wrist/palm after both 15km rides. Having read AMB and read the comments here I am contemplating upgrading the bar but have a few questions before I go out and buy.

Originally I thought maybe the seat height was too high (although pedalling position is fine) and that I was leaning on the front bars too much. Could this be a cause of my discomfort?

Other than that when looking at a replacement bar should I be going for a flat or rise bar. What is fundamentally wrong with the stock flat bar?

Thanks
I'm not an expert but this is what I have found. The stock bar is terrible because it has no sweep which causes you to lean forward & put extra weight on your hands/wrists. I spent a long time speaking to a guy about carbon options at my LBS last week who has ridden/raced 29ers for a few years now. He recommended sticking with the flat bar but looking for something with more sweep. [5 degrees or more] He also recommended to stick with a wider bar as it gives you much greater control of the bike. [this is more about personal preference but you can always trim 680mm + width bars if you feel that they are too wide as long as you use correct saw & blade. You can't make narrow bars wider!] I have ordered some carbon Answer bars after trying some from my LBS that should arrive in the next couple of days. I will post pics & a report on them after going for a test ride. If you are looking towards a more budget option than carbon, I did put a set of Crank Bros cobalt 2 alloy flat bars [680mm] on my XTC 29er hardtail last year. They were a massive improvement over the stock Giant bars & cost around $90 in Aus. I would put them on the list as an alloy option. I would reccommend going to a LBS with a good range & trying some out. I do buy a lot of parts online but there are some things that you need to try before you buy. Hope this helps.

ray

Likes Bikes
The Plunge has been taken...me and a mate have ordered ours, pick'em up next week.

for me, this completes the 29er set.. i have a KHS Solo One, and a Niner Air9 ( which is truly beautifull ) already so this gives me all options!

And i ordered it in Silver with Blue bits....anyone else got that colour!??...the choice was huge!

Ray.