Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Finally got around to building mine up after having it sit in the garage for 3 months.
Changed a few things, got rid of 2 front chainrings and fitted a 34. Got rid of the mega big 11-36 in favour of a 11-32. Tossed the giant wheels in favour of my home build dt swiss 240's and crests with dt comps. Kept the crossmarks for the time being, set up tubeless. Ditched the giant rotors cause they didn't want to play nice with the centerlock adaptors. Replaced with some rotors off my Van Nick I had lying around. Ditched the 110mm stem for a 90mm 3T jobbie and replaced the alloy bars with some ritchey flat bars I had lying around. Gone also is the Giant post and seat replaced with a Easton EC70 and Selle saddle that suits my butt. Also got a e13 XCX-ST chain guide keeping my chain where it should be up front. So far I've done a short spin on it on cycle ways and a bit of urban park bashing... bit weird to ride a dually after not being on one for 18 months. Might drag it out for a 4hr enduro this weekend if I can be bothered swapping cranks with my main xc beast.

Anywho Picture time

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Total weight as she sits is 10.77kg Size is an XL.
WOW Lots of modifacations !
How have you found the new wheels ? Is there much weight difference, do you find it rolls better ?

fezi

Likes Dirt
WOW Lots of modifacations !
How have you found the new wheels ? Is there much weight difference, do you find it rolls better ?
Never even sat on it with the stock wheels, was always going to change the wheels. Wheels so far are good, I don't expect to have any isues with them. Built them with approx 10% more tension than stans recommend cause I like stiff wheels.
Weight difference was circa 350grams on the wheelset plus I'm guessing but 100grams per tube? I think it'll be just a case of getting used to a dually again and the way they feel getting the power down compared to a hardtail?

Bodin

GMBC
Might drag it out for a 4hr enduro this weekend if I can be bothered swapping cranks with my main xc beast.
Why wouldn't you just put the original chainrings back on? Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why you took them off in the first place - I've never looked at my Anthem and thought "let's lose half a kilo (maybe) at the expense of at least 10 usable gears..."

tegski

Likes Dirt
That was me. ReignDave I caught up with you at the Scott 24, from memory. You were thinking of buying an Anthem29 from your Giant Reign, from memory.

Asuming your a Canberra boy go to Bike Culture and buy Symetrical Bontrager rim strips and valves......thank me later. It's still the best tubeless system. Bar none.
You never have to replace the strips and they are feather light and no tape, no tape, no tape and no nasty rubbery strips that may as well be ghetto, because we all know they are a pain to clean between tyre changes unlike the Bontrager strips that just need a wipe down and never come out of place!

Oh yeah and pump up with a floor pump!
When installing put your valve into the strip then rim then gently stretch the hard plastic strip into place. When its in the rim cavity push the edges in with your finger so they fall into the bead. Mount tyre and enjoy.
Definitely agree re the rim strips - bought one yesterday to try out. Slots in really nicely on the PXC2 rims - however did not come close to track pump inflation even with a brand new crossmark.
Dragged out the compressor - off with the valve top so that there is no restriction on the air in (unscrews from the top of the Bontrager valve stem) and this inflates first time. Chuck in some Stans Goo and off I rode.
Will be getting another set - beats the DIY method for confidence and the fact that I can pull out the valve and replace with a tube if I have a major flat whilst out and about.

stevo78

Likes Dirt
here's is my anthem 29er. Quite a few changes, put on xo rear and gripshifters, xtr cranks, fsa carbon bars with easton stem and crest wheels with hope hubs. Great ride, still working out the cockpit. Should be ready to fly by otway time!

Attachments

michaelg

Likes Dirt
here's is my anthem 29er. Quite a few changes, put on xo rear and gripshifters, xtr cranks, fsa carbon bars with easton stem and crest wheels with hope hubs. Great ride, still working out the cockpit. Should be ready to fly by otway time!
Hey Stevo,

I have ordered a set of 29er wheels as you have. Hope pro2 hubs dt super comp spokes and crest rims will I notice the difference in rolling and weight .

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Hey Stevo,

I have ordered a set of 29er wheels as you have. Hope pro2 hubs dt super comp spokes and crest rims will I notice the difference in rolling and weight .
Ive only had them a few days but there is a improvement. Once i get set them up tubeless it will be much better!

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
These Bontrager rim strips - assume they are only available from Trek dealers?

I suspect going to be hard to obtain in Newy. Are there any online sources?

damian_eley

Likes Bikes
Chalk up another snapped chain. I snapped mine yesterday grinding up a big hill while getting in some preparation for the odyssey. I've ordered a new XT chain to replace it to try and avoid any similar problem on race day.

I also ordered some of the bontrager rim strips the other day as well given the recommendation on here.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@stevo78 - are they the EsiGrips in blue?

I ordered a set of those, but the blue wasn't *quite* the match I was looking for, and my OCD hasn't yet allowed me to fit them.

Maybe after the first cable change, when I go back to a black housing...

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
Just wish that Giant Aus would have used something other than the shiner..
Have now raced in short course and longer distances. This bike can do it all with ease! :)

anthem29er01.jpg

stevo78

Likes Dirt
@stevo78 - are they the EsiGrips in blue?

I ordered a set of those, but the blue wasn't *quite* the match I was looking for, and my OCD hasn't yet allowed me to fit them.

Maybe after the first cable change, when I go back to a black housing...[/QUOTE]

Yep they are more purple if anything. Going to put black ones on!

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
How is it that you got white forks ? Mine are black MMMMMmmm Perfer the white
I had my A29er built up from my previous xtc 29er 2010 - so is kitted with 3x9XT and the white Fox forks, and black cabling which imho tames the bike down in looks. And those TWE's came off my XTC..... great wheels!

anthem29er05.jpganthem29er02.jpganthem29er04.jpganthem29er03.jpg

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had my A29er built up from my previous xtc 29er 2010 - so is kitted with 3x9XT and the white Fox forks, and black cabling which imho tames the bike down in looks. And those TWE's came off my XTC..... great wheels!
so how much better than the XTC 29er, 5, 10, 20%? Strengths vs Weaknesses, i'm interested to know as I'm nearly ready to pick mine up.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
so how much better than the XTC 29er, 5, 10, 20%? Strengths vs Weaknesses, i'm interested to know as I'm nearly ready to pick mine up.
I don't think you'll be disappointed! I'm 6', 78kg and am a reasonably fit over 50yo, and am no slouch .... so take what I say with a certain amt of grain of salt... I have ridden a Trance X for a couple of years and loved it for it's cushy ride for my bad back. (Even won a podium place at Bike Buller last year). I picked up an XTC 29er last year at a very reasonable price from lbs and rode it at club and a couple of enduro events. It just wasn't kind to my back. But I loved it's speed and climbing ability and the larger wheels certainly were comfortable for rock strewn tracks and small rock ledges etc. So with that - sold the XTC29er and decided on the A29er (whilst still have to put the trance on the market..)

Strengths of the A29er - point it and shoot - great on flowing tracks, probably like an A26er which 'runs on rails' (son has one), light for it's size, the fox rear shock does it's job wonderfully on rocky downhill sections and keeps the rear wheel where it should be. I have raced at local club xco and xcc on it now and reckon its fast and stable, with only a little loss over an xtc for climbing. So weakness - maybe a small loss on the climb - but makes up and surpasses in all other aspects of riding.

mlm010

Squid
My Newy

IMG00085-20110121-1911.jpg

New A29er
Mods to date:
1. 90mm Carbon Stem - Shorten the cockpit slightly
2. Carbon Seatpost
3. Carbon Bottlecage!
4. Foamies for grips
5. XTR SPDs

To Do:
1. Tubless conversion LBS had a bit of trouble fitting the Bontrager Crossmax combo
2. Ride the tyres of it!