Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

skinya

Likes Dirt
stock wheelset

Stock wheelset is reasonably sturdy .but a little heavy. Btw i,m 100kg.Be carefull who you buy from,I bought a flow custom wheelset from a well known aussie company for top dollar.When my wheels turn up they look good but no valves?When i enquired i was told in a not to friendly tone that valves are not included and i would have to pay extra!Not a good way to create repeat customers.I for one wont be back.:mad:

I've put half a dozen hard rides into my stock wheels now, and had to true the rear last night (nothing serious, only about 1.5mm laterally, but I like to keep them straight).

The wheels (esp. rims) seem strong enough, but mine weren't trued up to a high degree of accuracy from the factory. This was particularly true for roundness (as opposed to lateral trueness and dish) which is especially important for even spoke tension and fatigue life.

Now the real gripe: aluminium spoke nipples may look pretty, but they SUCK for adjustment, and the blue ones on the Giant wheels are no exception. They are soft, deformable, and do not want to turn under tension, even after lubrication. I predict that there is one, maybe two truings left in them before they start to round off and/or split (and yes, I am using high quality spoke keys - gimme Park or gimme death).

I thought of replacing the ally nipples with chromed brass one now, but the scientist in me wants to see how long they/the wheel last(s) as they are, bog stock. If the nipples cr@p out first, then I'll re-build with brass. (FYI, 32 brass nipples weigh only 30g - I know, I just weighed them - so the changeover will only add about 15g to the wheel. More than worth it for the ease of maintenance).

On a more positive note, I just did a tubeless conversion with a Stan's kit, a floor pump and a few choice tips - they're holding pressure well, and I'm ready to declare it a success.

Most peeps on here seem to be running ZTR Crest rims; anyone tried Arches?

How do you all find the Crests for durability? I roll at 85kgs, and even though I want them for XC, am quite gentle on gear and keep my wheels true, I'm a little worried that the Crests might not last.

No sure which would be the best way to go - maybe even Crest front, Arch rear?

Thoughts?

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I had the same decision to make and have taken a punt on the Crests.

At $70 /rim (Wiggle) I've decided it's no great loss if it turns to custard and I end up rebuilding with Arches.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Another snapped stock (HG73) chain here. It was during an XC race, but even though I'm not a smooth rider it wasn't being abused. I was actually coasting down a hill at the time. The bike's probably done ~1500km. I'm generally a spinner but sometimes (try to) mash.

Replacing with an XTR (CN-M980) since it's not much more than an XT (HG93) and may last longer. More importantly it's XTR so guaranteed 25% increase in fullisikness.

Need a cuppa now, the bloody Shimano chain nomenclature has given me a headache.

mlm010

Squid
Autralian mountain biking mag

So AMB mag seems to give them the thumbs up. how could they not!

However they do seem to make the common remark that the bars are rubbish..I do tend to agree, so would be interested to hear of others that have upgraded the bar...

I am keen on carbon bling and some weight savings, also thinking a little sweep and possibly some rise..3T, and giant appear to have a couple of good alternatives.

Got mine in the mail today. Agree with the comment about the bars so would also be keen to hear from others who have changed them.

wingy

Likes Dirt
So AMB mag seems to give them the thumbs up. how could they not!

However they do seem to make the common remark that the bars are rubbish..I do tend to agree, so would be interested to hear of others that have upgraded the bar...

I am keen on carbon bling and some weight savings, also thinking a little sweep and possibly some rise..3T, and giant appear to have a couple of good alternatives.
I have the Giant Contact SLR bars on mine now and love them. I have the flat bars though. I wrote a review of them on my blog if you want to have a read. The bars came in at 125g as stated and saved that much in weight as the stock bars were 250g. About $130 retail.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Got mine in the mail today. Agree with the comment about the bars so would also be keen to hear from others who have changed them.
Stock bars were torture for me.

Replaced with 660mm carbon Ritchey WCS half 15mm rise. Took out a spacer. Happy.

tzkev

Likes Bikes
In the AMB article they mention the rims weigh 450 grams per rim, I wonder how they come to this conclusion. Did they pull the wheel appart and weigh them, or did they find this info on the web. Anyone have any insight?