Getting decals/stickers made?

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would like to get a decal made, but I havn't the slightest clue what type of business does it, or what these businesses are called.

I would like to have made the decal where you remove the backing, then lay down the decal, then remove the top layer, leaving behind just the individual letters. Any idea what this type of thing is called?

Any help would be great!!

mitchdogg

Likes Bikes
Well my mate is a sigh writer apprentice and they do this sort of thing.
Just a signage place should do it, im just not sure of who does this sort of thing in Perth.
My mates shop generally does orders for $50 minimal so you might have to think of a bit more to get your moneys worth if all shops are similar.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lazertran. I've just bought a few sheets, interested to see how it goes.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sign writer. My mate's oldman is a sign writer and they do everything from well...sign to t-shirts. They have some awesome acrylic cutting type machine which can make stickers etc etc.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have had a heap of stickers and decals made. they where the same ones as your talking about, they are called vinyl stickers. i got them made from a sign shop. i dont know how much they cost because my dad is friend with the guy who owns the shop so i got them for free....yay for me haha

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
surely by now there is an acetate with a sticky coating that can be used through a normal printer? youd just need to cut out with a scapel.

on another note where do i buy contact stuff these days? used to be the rage in primary school and came in all the colours.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
surely by now there is an acetate with a sticky coating that can be used through a normal printer? youd just need to cut out with a scapel.

on another note where do i buy contact stuff these days? used to be the rage in primary school and came in all the colours.
There is sticker sheets you can use in a printer, I believe Kodak makes some along with 3M and a few others, very easy to print on, in printer settings just treat it like full gloss photopaper, and as you said cut/knife it out, great for small stickers as i have only seen A4 sheets.

On the topic of contact, I haven't been looking for it for ages!! but i'd suggest places like officeworks, big W and kmart etc, cheapo shops like the warehouse (or whatever its new fadangled name is) and school supply shops, more aimed ta primary school though

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have had a heap of stickers and decals made. they where the same ones as your talking about, they are called vinyl stickers. i got them made from a sign shop. i dont know how much they cost because my dad is friend with the guy who owns the shop so i got them for free....yay for me haha
Yep my research fouind out they are called vinyl stickers, but also can only be done in one color unfortunately (someone please correct me if what I read was wrong).

So looks like I'll be needing just a regular type thin sticker, still couldn't find much on google about local sign places either.

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Yep my research fouind out they are called vinyl stickers, but also can only be done in one color unfortunately (someone please correct me if what I read was wrong).

So looks like I'll be needing just a regular type thin sticker, still couldn't find much on google about local sign places either.
Vinyl comes in thousands of colours. What sticker are you after, I have a vinyl cutter in my shop.

takai

Eats Squid
They can generally only be done in one colour at a time. That doesnt stop you from layering vinyl ontop of another colour.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sent you a PM.

What i meant by one color, is you cant have 2 colors on one sticker.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got sorted out some stickers with a signwriter - they were good to deal with.

basically, you can either get a design or letters printed, like a normal printer but on stickey paper. the problem is, it will not be fully waterproof (obviously, cover with contact to waterproof. but condensation can still get in).

or you can get the vinyl type, which is just a single sheet of vinyl, your choice of colour, which is cut to the design you want. This is best, but is only one colour. this is what i got, and it has held up well. i did not protect them at all, and they stay stuck well and only cut in a few spots where its been carnaged by riding or shuttling.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
make your own,
go to officeworks or another office supply shop and if you have a laser printer you can make your own very very very cheaply
Reece

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rang a few places today.

Custom graphics/artwork (eg. not using a normal font) is going to cost upwards of $100 for artwork charges, then like $50 for the decals.

That sucks.

takai

Eats Squid
If you can do it yourself in Illustrator or similar most places will take an EPS or PDF. Or another file format which retains vector imagery without rasterization.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can do it yourself in Illustrator or similar most places will take an EPS or PDF. Or another file format which retains vector imagery without rasterization.
Thanks for your help, but I havn't the slightest clue how.

Looks like I'll be finding a little back shop that does smaller jobs, or lashing out big cash for some stupid decals.

takai

Eats Squid
The problem isnt so much in getting them printed. Its getting the design down. Ive had whole stacks of vinyl stickers printed up in the past, and if you can walk in with a good set of Vector art then you are 99% of the way there.

Have you ever used Photoshop before?