fox floatx2

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Is any one running a Fox float x2 that would like to share there thoughts and views ,reviews ?
as its reached my shortlist for my am bike

Last edited:

hairy1

Likes Bikes
I picked up a 2nd hand 2105 reign frame with one on it recently - only a handful of rides (and bear in mind I've never owned a dually before)

- recommended settings seem to work, don't bottom out, it's plusher than my mates trances with fox OE ctd shocks
- while it seems very adjustable, it isn't hard to setup/change stuff
- it's overkill for Darwin...oh well

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Plus 1

Plus 1 to hear feedback on this - Currently running CCBD Air and now considering the X2 and DHX2 as upgrades..

Cheers

dh.demon

Likes Dirt
Is any one running a Fox float x2 that would like to share there thoughts and views ,reviews ?
as its reached my shortlist for my am bike
Im running one of these on my Morewood Sukuma trail bike and I am more than pleased with it.
I have gone to flat pedals for trail riding and was running a Fox RP23 shock with rebound set as slow as it would go to try and get the bike to feel how I wanted when doing jumps.
My feet always seemed to lift off the pedals slightly which they never do on my DH bike, and I run the same Spank Spike pedals on both (with longer pins)

With the Float X2 having both HS and LS compression and rebounds I thought it would possibly be more tuneable to how I wanted my bike to feel.
I never used propedal on the RP23 so the X2 not having propedal was not a concern. You can get it now but I personally see no need.

The X2 comes with a booklet with recommended HS & LS settings for rebound and compression based on the air pressure you needed to get your required sag which they recommend being between 25 - 30%
I wanted my bike more on the plush side so I set it with 30% sag.
From full dampening for all adjusters (adjusters wound fully in) they give you a recommendation of how much to wind it off within a 3 click range.
For both HS & LS compression I wound the adjusters out to the maximium they suggest to give it that slightly more softer compression.
For both LS & HS rebound I used the minimum they suggest as I prefer it on the slightly slower side. My understanding is that a lot of people actually run their rebound too fast.
I found their suggestions to be quite to my liking and have not yet changed it although I am considering winding the LS rebound it one click (slower)

I am now jumping again with my feet feeling how I want, the bike pedals very well with out propedal when climbing and even riding on the road.
Through rough terrain and cornering it feels great and does give you the confidence to go that bit harder. Even with the compression set to the slightly plusher side it never blows through its travel but rather gives the feeling of having an endless amount of travel.

I was so impressed with this shock that I bought the DHX2 shock for my Morewood Makulu downhill bike and cannot fault that either.
After trying mine, my dad has also bought both the same shocks for his Sukuma and Makulu.

If I had to fault the Float X2 and its not really a fault, it would be that they are a little more bulky at each end.
I prefer to run an air shock with the air can at the top rather than at the bottom and in order to do this I had to file a very very small amount off of my frame so that it did not hit.
At most it would be approximately 1 - 1.5mm on a square edge of the frame for the bottom of the shock. Nothing that in any way will affect the frame.

In my opinion a very good shock for a trail bike not just a DH bike.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Im running one of these on my Morewood Sukuma trail bike and I am more than pleased with it.
I have gone to flat pedals for trail riding and was running a Fox RP23 shock with rebound set as slow as it would go to try and get the bike to feel how I wanted when doing jumps.
My feet always seemed to lift off the pedals slightly which they never do on my DH bike, and I run the same Spank Spike pedals on both (with longer pins)

With the Float X2 having both HS and LS compression and rebounds I thought it would possibly be more tuneable to how I wanted my bike to feel.
I never used propedal on the RP23 so the X2 not having propedal was not a concern. You can get it now but I personally see no need.

The X2 comes with a booklet with recommended HS & LS settings for rebound and compression based on the air pressure you needed to get your required sag which they recommend being between 25 - 30%
I wanted my bike more on the plush side so I set it with 30% sag.
From full dampening for all adjusters (adjusters wound fully in) they give you a recommendation of how much to wind it off within a 3 click range.
For both HS & LS compression I wound the adjusters out to the maximium they suggest to give it that slightly more softer compression.
For both LS & HS rebound I used the minimum they suggest as I prefer it on the slightly slower side. My understanding is that a lot of people actually run their rebound too fast.
I found their suggestions to be quite to my liking and have not yet changed it although I am considering winding the LS rebound it one click (slower)

I am now jumping again with my feet feeling how I want, the bike pedals very well with out propedal when climbing and even riding on the road.
Through rough terrain and cornering it feels great and does give you the confidence to go that bit harder. Even with the compression set to the slightly plusher side it never blows through its travel but rather gives the feeling of having an endless amount of travel.

I was so impressed with this shock that I bought the DHX2 shock for my Morewood Makulu downhill bike and cannot fault that either.
After trying mine, my dad has also bought both the same shocks for his Sukuma and Makulu.

If I had to fault the Float X2 and its not really a fault, it would be that they are a little more bulky at each end.
I prefer to run an air shock with the air can at the top rather than at the bottom and in order to do this I had to file a very very small amount off of my frame so that it did not hit.
At most it would be approximately 1 - 1.5mm on a square edge of the frame for the bottom of the shock. Nothing that in any way will affect the frame.

In my opinion a very good shock for a trail bike not just a DH bike.

This is really great to hear mate. I'm glad my shock went to someone who could enjoy it as much as I did. I'm pretty keen to get a DHX2 for my Nomad but we'll see for now.

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought mine after blowing through my Float X way to easy and didn't think resorting to tokens was going to cut it. I was specifically interested to try the ability to fine tune it with basically one tool (provided with the shock) and simplicity in which you can pull it apart and put in tokens with general tools you have in your camelback.
I was a little disappointed after setting it to the recommended settings that once I got out on the track it felt perfect and couldn't fault it nor did I feel the need to change it. By far the smoothest ride I've ever been on.
In regards to the guy who didn't like the bulkiness of it, I love it, it makes the bike look so much tougher and draws your attention straight to the shock. I have it on a Devinci spartan with fox 36's and I can't wait for the Kashima dropper to be released so I can introduce it to the Kashima family.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I bought mine after blowing through my Float X way to easy and didn't think resorting to tokens was going to cut it. I was specifically interested to try the ability to fine tune it with basically one tool (provided with the shock) and simplicity in which you can pull it apart and put in tokens with general tools you have in your camelback.
I was a little disappointed after setting it to the recommended settings that once I got out on the track it felt perfect and couldn't fault it nor did I feel the need to change it. By far the smoothest ride I've ever been on.
In regards to the guy who didn't like the bulkiness of it, I love it, it makes the bike look so much tougher and draws your attention straight to the shock. I have it on a Devinci spartan with fox 36's and I can't wait for the Kashima dropper to be released so I can introduce it to the Kashima family.
Kashima droppers have dropped! Try Johnny sprockets..

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I picked up a 2nd hand 2105 reign frame with one on it recently - only a handful of rides (and bear in mind I've never owned a dually before)

- recommended settings seem to work, don't bottom out, it's plusher than my mates trances with fox OE ctd shocks
- while it seems very adjustable, it isn't hard to setup/change stuff
- it's overkill for Darwin...oh well
Your previous bike, running cast iron tyres, would be plusher than a CTD of any description.

#hashtag

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just curious, what is your full weight ready to go on the bike ?