Formula One world championship

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
I'm sure Horner and ToeToe are both whiny little bitches when it suits them
All teams should be banned from talking to the race directors unless spoken to.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Must be tough for them. Poor little petals....

madstace

Likes Dirt
I generally like Toto and as an Aussie F1 fan hate the RB brass with a fkn passion, but both sides were equally off-putting in their appeals to race control last year, obviously with the finale being especially bad. I also support a ban on direct comms from the teams to race control.

Now, I can't decide if I'm excited the opening race is so close, or would prefer it be later so McLaren had more time to fix their brakes (and Danny shake the spicy cough).

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I generally like Toto and as an Aussie F1 fan hate the RB brass with a fkn passion, but both sides were equally off-putting in their appeals to race control last year, obviously with the finale being especially bad. I also support a ban on direct comms from the teams to race control.

Now, I can't decide if I'm excited the opening race is so close, or would prefer it be later so McLaren had more time to fix their brakes (and Danny shake the spicy cough).
I watched the last Ep of Drive to Survive Season 4, and the final race at Abu Dhabi.
I think horner was right to feel ripped off when hamilton went wide on a corner and off track and race control didn't make hamilton give P1 to Verstappen. There was a similar situation in which verstappen had to hand back P1 to hamilton in another race, IIRC.

Also, ToeToe was VERY happy with the situation near the end of the race under safety car, where verstappen had 5 cars between him and hamilton.
The Rules apparently were that ALL the lapped cars could un-lap themselves and form up at the back.
For whatever reason, race control (after initially not letting any cars un-lap themselves - WTAF???? ) decided to only let those 5 cars un-lap themselves. Unfair to the slower teams, but essentially fair to verstappen and hamilton.

Thus, Mercedes humongous dummy spit and bullshit legal posturing afterwards mean that in my estimation,
mercedes and hamilton can utterly get fucked.

I do wonder if mercedes received preferential treatment over the past 7 years or so, that in small or large ways, tipped things in their favour.
That hamilton is a brilliant driver and no doubt deserves his 7 drivers titles - is not in question.
That verstappen made some overly ambitious overtake attempts in corners, (silverstone and Monza) coming off second best and/or crashing - is not in question.

It's the playing of the 'victim card' by mercedes and hamilton, and bleating about 'manipulation', that doesn't sit right with me at all.
Mercedes and hamilton are the number one team that everyone else was gunning for - not the poor persecuted underdog.
That's liberal party levels of gaslighting bullshit.

If all the lapped cars were allowed to un-lap themselves, would mercedes have still squealed like stuck pigs?
Maybe they would have. Ultimately, I'm glad the FIA told mercedes to HTFU (or whatever went on in that meeting)

I would like to think that the level of behind the scenes political maneuvering, manipulation and bullshit,
will be reduced to a manageable level for the 2022 season and beyond, for the sake of the fans.

F1 will always be a money machine, but if the fans lose faith that the F1 category can be run and contested fairly, then F1 will be a shadow of what it should be, or it will wither away and die.

Last edited:

madstace

Likes Dirt
I do wonder if mercedes received preferential treatment over the past 7 years or so, that in small or large ways, tipped things in their favour.
That hamilton is a brilliant driver and no doubt deserves his 7 drivers titles - is not in question.
That verstappen made some overly ambitious overtake attempts in corners, (silverstone and Monza) coming off second best and/or crashing - is not in question.
I think that's playing down Max's aggression a significant amount. Last year saw him right up there with Schumacher for sheer dangerous driving, maybe not Mazepin in F2, but certainly high bullshit levels. I fear Lewis may have got a bit soft, and he's not completely innocent (wtf with him and Albon at Austria 2020 for example), but generally I feel on-track at least, he's one of the cleanest world champions we've had. A lot of his excursions while battling with Max were for avoidance of crashes, and I don't think a missed penalty for his going wide (again, avoiding Max) would have evened up the ledger by a long way.

Like I said, I felt the posturing was on the nose from both sides equally, and whether we'll ever know the full extent of influence on race control from both sides is anyones guess. The outcome is both right and wrong, given luck, or at least Latifi's ineptitude, set off the last chain of events. I highly doubt we'd be going back to that first incident had the last safety car event not happened.
I would like to think that the level of behind the scenes political maneuvering, manipulation and bullshit,
will be reduced to a manageable level for the 2022 season and beyond, for the sake of the fans.

F1 will always be a money machine, but if the fans lose faith that the F1 category can be run and contested fairly, then F1 will be a shadow of what it should be, or it will wither away and die.
Here here!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will that controversy actually cost fans? its been a topic of discussion the entire off season, even those saying they'll never watch again are firmly planting themselves in one camp or the other ready fort the first race. and we learnt how delusional mazepin senior was about how good his kid could drive. i cant understand how he drives that, the cars must be different.

smaj

Likes Dirt

Another article by "The Secret Aerodynamicist", a senior aero guy working in a current F1 team. The first half is a recap of the current regs, the second half is what he thinks will be important and how he thinks it'll play out (search for "Will it work?"). Seems all the teams are very nervous at the moment, no matter the bluster.

First FP sessions I've been really excited about in a while.

ForkinGreat

One good thing comes out of Masi being sacrificed because of cunts like ToeToe

(from the article in the Independent)
As part of a number of changes , teams will no longer have direct radio contact to the race director.

Both Mercedes’ Toto Wolff and Christian Horner of Red Bull were accused of attempting to influence Masi during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Horner is on record as saying that the decision to give Masi the boot was wrong.

I don't think you'll get anything similar from ToeToe, AFAIK.

Last edited:

smaj

Likes Dirt

Think this one's been signaled for a while, but "the white line is track limits" finally comes into effect.

I didn't watch any of the testing, so no real idea how well they'll ride the curbs anyway. I'm expecting (hoping for) a few spins and excursions into the kitty litter while the drivers test out how well they can ride them. Also, sausage curbs could be fun.

madstace

Likes Dirt

Think this one's been signaled for a while, but "the white line is track limits" finally comes into effect.
Let's face it, Abu Dhabi wasn't the only time Masi had stuffed up. Track limits and the "varied" approach to their enforcement became a joke. A welcome change.

Now to try and stay up until 2am the next few nights o_O

smaj

Likes Dirt
The cars didn't look as bad on the track as I thought they would. I thought in Verstappen's fastest lap in testing the car looked a little lazy on turn-in to the slow speed corners, but nothing like that today (though by all accounts the cars are still slower in slow speed corners). Except Mercedes, which still looks bad, porpoising on the straights.

Tyre deg on the Softs still looks bad after about lap 11-12 (Lando's long run at the end of FP2). At least McLaren's fix looks like it's working.

Ferrari and Red Bull fighting at the front? :)

ForkinGreat

The cars didn't look as bad on the track as I thought they would. I thought in Verstappen's fastest lap in testing the car looked a little lazy on turn-in to the slow speed corners, but nothing like that today (though by all accounts the cars are still slower in slow speed corners). Except Mercedes, which still looks bad, porpoising on the straights.

Tyre deg on the Softs still looks bad after about lap 11-12 (Lando's long run at the end of FP2). At least McLaren's fix looks like it's working.

Ferrari and Red Bull fighting at the front? :)
Bring it!! time for a regime change in the drivers and constructors championships. :D

McLaren's Aero package seemed to be one of the more effective too, so if they get their brakes sorted, they should go well

madstace

Likes Dirt
Bring it!! time for a regime change in the drivers and constructors championships. :D

McLaren's Aero package seemed to be one of the more effective too, so if they get their brakes sorted, they should go well
They looked a bit tentative at full tilt but hopefully brakes are up to it and their seemingly mastering of the porpoising issue brings them up. Dan not getting much running in FP2 hasn't helped :(

As much as I like Newey, I was hoping the Red Bull sucked, but the thing looks like a weapon. Ferrari doesn't look quite as sorted, but potentially has more improvement in the car. Haas are the surprise, they'll definitely shake up the midfield.

smaj

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed!

They looked a bit tentative at full tilt but hopefully brakes are up to it and their seemingly mastering of the porpoising issue brings them up. Dan not getting much running in FP2 hasn't helped :(
Yeah, I try not to get too worried cause they never really run fast in FP1 and FP2 (or if they do, they usually screw it up in quali :) They do look like they've got porpoising sorted though, which is great.

As much as I like Newey, I was hoping the Red Bull sucked, but the thing looks like a weapon.
Haha I'm conflicted; on the one hand, I love the engineering of the Red Bull, on the other hand I'd rather anyone than them win :)

Haas were a big surprise, I'm really happy for them after all the crap they've been through.

Hulk in the Aston being immediately on it was also excellent.

I keep seeing the Alpha Tauri and thinking it's the old Williams (the livery).

ForkinGreat

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed!

Yeah, I try not to get too worried cause they never really run fast in FP1 and FP2 (or if they do, they usually screw it up in quali :) They do look like they've got porpoising sorted though, which is great.

Haha I'm conflicted; on the one hand, I love the engineering of the Red Bull, on the other hand I'd rather anyone than them win :)

Haas were a big surprise, I'm really happy for them after all the crap they've been through.

Hulk in the Aston being immediately on it was also excellent.

I keep seeing the Alpha Tauri and thinking it's the old Williams (the livery).
I really want mercedes to have (for them) a shit year, I'd rather anyone but mercedes score wins. #fuckToeToe

It would be awesome to see Haas get some frikking points this year.