foreign aid?

Bermshot

Banned
Until we stop thinking ours/theirs these childish ideas will continue. What is to be done to amend the problem? Farked if I know. Understand quantum theories or a holographic universe? Without sound sustenance and stable shelter such knowledge can't and wont be absorbed by ALL people for that absorption needs peace.

Universal truth is the only knowledge (my opinion) that can be passed with confidence, for it is incorruptible, therefore allowing the human species with it's inherent insanity to pass it on would be correct because it is incorruptible.

Having an autism, oh, I mean altruistic spasm.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Until we stop thinking ours/theirs these childish ideas will continue. What is to be done to amend the problem?
The world could stop teaching religion. That would stop plenty of conflict and probably even reduce the amount of alleged racism!

rone

Eats Squid
The world could stop teaching religion. That would stop plenty of conflict and probably even reduce the amount of alleged racism!
We should be more selective of who we allow into politics whilst we do that too.

gerg

Likes Bikes
to be honest i just put this up as a big up yours to indonesia, when this was posted i had no idea that indonesia had offered aid, and frankly i was amazed. this is a country that hates australia with a passion. i did 15 yrs in the military and was privy to a lot of information confirming this, this is a country that specifically targeted australia when planting explosive devices. i know people will say it's not everyone, and that is very true, but i take it VERY personally when anyone from my country is targeted. australia led the united nations effort to give east timor its freedom, and as a result indonesia wasn't too happy about losing some of their territory. we gave political asylum to west papuan refugees much to the protest of the indonesian government. i spent 6 weeks 600 nautical miles north of darwin trying to keep their fishing fleets from raping our waters. this goes on with the full support of their government. interested to see the feedback from this...........
Go do some research into what really happened during the ET v Indonesia conflict, especially Australia's involvement. We did so much for ET and are still doing a great deal there ie. the gas deal.

biggles

Squid
Go do some research into what really happened during the ET v Indonesia conflict, especially Australia's involvement. We did so much for ET and are still doing a great deal there ie. the gas deal.
i know a great deal about east timor, i'll put my hand up and say that i never served there, so i don't know first hand what the feeling on the ground was but my brother did 8 months there. i'm not too sure whether people think that australia has screwed east timor on their mineral/mining deals, but it cost australia billions of dollars to help them gain their independence, and i think that the government is more than entitled to try to get some of the money back. we are putting up the money to build the facilities to extract and process the gas, and therefore are, i think, entitled to reap some of the rewards. i also believe that it is time that we pull out and leave east timor to fend for themselves.

gerg

Likes Bikes
i know a great deal about east timor,

No you don't - you served in the military and you don't know the slightest about Australia and Indonesia's military history in the region.

i'll put my hand up and say that i never served there, so i don't know first hand what the feeling on the ground was but my brother did 8 months there. i'm not too sure whether people think that australia has screwed east timor on their mineral/mining deals, but it cost australia billions of dollars to help them gain their independence, and i think that the government is more than entitled to try to get some of the money back. we are putting up the money to build the facilities to extract and process the gas, and therefore are, i think, entitled to reap some of the rewards. i also believe that it is time that we pull out and leave east timor to fend for themselves.
So we should leave them high and dry and then what - in another 10 years time we will be back in there trying to repair the damage our absence caused.

And: so Indonesia has pledged assistance for the flood relief in QLD - does that then entitle them to something from QLD?

Off topic - congratulations on serving our great country. I have an ASM for serving as a civvy O/S and I wear it with pride.

Edit - typo