foreign aid?

biggles

Squid
wonder if our good mates in Indonesia will be sending over any aid to help with the floods? we gave them about 360 million last financial year, as well as 1.1 billion for the tsunami. our good mates in unzud just offered aid, good on the anzac spirit!

mick.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
TBH, Indonesia probably can't afford to donate that much back to Australia.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
*sigh*

Indonesia's GDP 2009: $540.27BN
Indonesia's Population 2009: 229,964,723

Australia's GDP 2009: $924.84BN
Australia's Population 2009: 21,874,900

move along, nothing more to see here.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, its bloody hypocritical how much we care when were in trouble vs when others are.
everyone knows there area was gonna flood, like the fires in Melbourne and didn't listen when people said how serious the threat was and how urgently they needed to act.
we have somewhere between 9 and 70 dead.
anyone remember when pretty much the whole of Pakistan went underwater, nearly 2000 people died..
They didn't cancel normal TV to give us brainless constant updates about it.
I mean the canceled big bang theory so i could listen to some reporter say QLD is flooded and its gonna flood more and Anna Blyth said somethings and the latests is QLD is flooded and its gonna flood more.........

Mick Im sorry but if you honestly think Indonesia should be sending us some cash than you need to realize that Australia is in the very very very top of worlds richest countries,

biggles

Squid
indo's

i went over for the tsunami when i was in the navy, they didn't want us there to begin with, and asked us to leave after 2 days, as long as we left all our plant equipment for them, so no, i'm well aware that they wouldn't. just curious on peoples opinions on the matter.

mick.

Bermshot

Banned
So then next time something BIG happens overseas we should not send aid in case we need it ourselves, seems fair doesn't it? Or is it " would you like some help" that matters, whether you have a lot or a little?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
just curious on peoples opinions on the matter.
I gave money to Indonesia as a donation because I could afford too and they needed it. It was not a loan. If they can afford to help us now then I'm sure the people in need would love a hand, otherwise we are a relatively rich country and I'm sure we'll pull through.

paulb

Likes Dirt
We’ve had message of sympathy and support and offers of assistance from literally around the world: from the United States; from the United Nations; the EU. In our own region, we’ve had similar offers from China, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore and Sri Lanka, as well as from East Timor and New Caledonia.​

PRIME MINISTER, TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE, CANBERRA, 11 JANUARY 2011

'Ross

Eats Squid
Well I'm sure if places start running out of coal you will see a lot of help coming our way quick smart.

Bermshot

Banned
OK, this isn't really OT if you think about it. Should we now think about food security? not just because of these floods. We have been hit pretty hard lately. As the saying goes, If you can't help yourself how can you assist others?

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Don't get so lovey dovey about foreign aid. Yes it does make the populus feel warm and fuzzy but its also a diplomatic tool to advance/defend Australia's interest aboard. I can understand why locals can get suspcious when foreign military shows up.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slightly Off Topic, but seeing as Aust Govt always help out other countries in need(which I dont have a problem with BTW),can anyone say what pledges the Govt has come up with, or will the Fed Govt expect the state govt to do all the rebuilding, of which there will be alot. ?

Does the Fed Govt even have to publicly announce how much and in what ways they will assist the State Govt ?
Is now even the time to announce financial support ? Or just get on with the job of dealing with 1 day at a time, until all the floodwater recede to get a better idea of damage,etc..

Just wondering.....

Bermshot

Banned
Slightly Off Topic, but seeing as Aust Govt always help out other countries in need(which I dont have a problem with BTW),can anyone say what pledges the Govt has come up with, or will the Fed Govt expect the state govt to do all the rebuilding, of which there will be alot. ?

Does the Fed Govt even have to publicly announce how much and in what ways they will assist the State Govt ?
Is now even the time to announce financial support ? Or just get on with the job of dealing with 1 day at a time, until all the floodwater recede to get a better idea of damage,etc..

Just wondering.....
Yeah, prob should have posed these questions in the The Queensland Floods thread, would be appropriate there.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Don't get so lovey dovey about foreign aid. Yes it does make the populus feel warm and fuzzy but its also a diplomatic tool to advance/defend Australia's interest aboard. I can understand why locals can get suspcious when foreign military shows up.
+1 ... a lot of baggage is attached to aid. You will notice that first world nations, as well as up and coming nations will normally turn it down or even get offended by the offer (eg India turned down Australian offers of aid, not that long ago ... [paraphrasing] " ... we are one of the fast growing economies in the world, we can take care of our own ... would you like some aid to assist with your aboriginal issue" ... I made that last bit up but it was something very similar).

'Ross

Eats Squid
Imagine if Indonesia did give aid and then a couple of years down the track guilted the government into letting them build a detention centre for their illegal immigrants right in the middle of Brisbane:eek:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Maybe East Timor could step in and give us aid. I'm sure they owe us it and in return all we'd have to do is let them shaft us out of the rights to develop and exploit our oil and gas fields

taquar

Likes Dirt
Maybe East Timor could step in and give us aid. I'm sure they owe us it and in return all we'd have to do is let them shaft us out of the rights to develop and exploit our oil and gas fields
Lets give them all our first born sons as well! So if I give them mine, that means, at the moment, they get NOTHING!! Fine by me. :)

They refused our help, and are only offering theirs so they can get something later on. How about we just do what we did after the last flood. RECOVER AND BE MORE AWESOME THAN EVER!!

Last edited: