Fixing up council owned jumps

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FR - perhaps. I'll just ask council as it's out now.

The pump track is/was a good idea, but IMO way too small/tight for the speed you want to be doing it at & you wash the front constantly which scrubs the speed, so the thing is self limiting, but suits the youngins I guess.

Some pretty strange people at the DJs, randoms, druggies pretending to do other sh1t so they can approach kids, some rascals, but mostly kids and their parents...who are my age, ha ha suckers!
Yeah pump track is just a bit of fun, could be a lot bigger around the trees.

I've seen a fair few RC cars at the jumps there as well, but mostly parents and kids who seem pretty nice.

I'm shit at jumping so I guess if I can get the hang of these then other ones should be sweet.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Boring as it sounds, I support the working within the system option. You would be exposing yourself to liability when someone hurts themselves, all for the sake of getting your jollies. Not worth it.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed FF, I had another look yesterday and after being there when there's 20+ kids of all sorts of abilities (some make it up the face of the jump, some don't and slide back down) I don't think they want/need mint DJs. Large mounds of dirt with the corners knocked off actually serve the purpose quite well, i.e. getting kids involved. For the greater good an all that.

Anyway, I'll give them a call and see what they say. Might need to suck it up and ride with the big boys at another location.

Xavo I thought the practice would be good, but unless you ride them on your trail bike, it's quite different. Let me know if you're keen and we can tee up a session to have a laugh, the place is usually kid free before lunch time.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Agreed FF, I had another look yesterday and after being there when there's 20+ kids of all sorts of abilities (some make it up the face of the jump, some don't and slide back down) I don't think they want/need mint DJs. Large mounds of dirt with the corners knocked off actually serve the purpose quite well, i.e. getting kids involved. For the greater good an all that.

Anyway, I'll give them a call and see what they say. Might need to suck it up and ride with the big boys at another location.

Xavo I thought the practice would be good, but unless you ride them on your trail bike, it's quite different. Let me know if you're keen and we can tee up a session to have a laugh, the place is usually kid free before lunch time.
I don't think the original intent was for kids to hack them up. If you need any dirt moved I have a tray back ute.

[video=youtube_share;pa9Vqbn8LUA]https://youtu.be/pa9Vqbn8LUA[/video]

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers mate, I saw that vid a while ago. Aah those must have been the days (shortly after they were built!).

Had a chat with council, fairly robotic response, they'll drop by and take a look and give me a shout within 7 days. Wicked.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cheers mate, I saw that vid a while ago. Aah those must have been the days (shortly after they were built!).

Had a chat with council, fairly robotic response, they'll drop by and take a look and give me a shout within 7 days. Wicked.
I had to ask where they were because I remembered them as being really high, like in that video. In 2012/13 I used to ride past on my commute and thought one day I would give them a go but the height turned me off. They are well and truly eroded now, almost unrecognisable.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

You guys have a good council. Mine has been shamed. Which isn't a surprise.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to ask where they were because I remembered them as being really high, like in that video. In 2012/13 I used to ride past on my commute and thought one day I would give them a go but the height turned me off. They are well and truly eroded now, almost unrecognisable.
Geez they've been killed in only a few years then. They still have some height (esp if you're a little tacker) but the shape has changed completely compared to the vid, they're all rounded tabletops now with no auto-qualifier skill required like some jumps have (which I think is not a bad thing to keep the masses off them).

Funny story, I was there one morning, a commuter rolls pasts, watches for a few mins, has a brief chat, and decides to have a go. They are easy as far as DJs go, I know that, but this guy completely underestimated the whole thing, landing halfway between the first two jumps in a nose wheel attitude and crumpling into the face of the second one. You could hear him go splat from 20m back. He limps back asking if I can straighten the fork/bars and fix his brake, fine, at which point I notice he has only 1 nut on the front axle. Yeah I know was his response.

You guys have a good council. Mine has been shamed. Which isn't a surprise.
We'll see, early days. But given a pump track/kiddy track turned up without warning, and a fairly decent effort at that, so I'm hopeful.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to hear they said they'll at least have a look.
I'm fairly time poor right now, but sporadically me and a mate skip uni and ride on over for a bit of a sesh so not sure when the next one is.
I'll try and sort a time with him and let you know, maybe next week depending on when we work etc.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Funny story, I was there one morning, a commuter rolls pasts, watches for a few mins, has a brief chat, and decides to have a go. They are easy as far as DJs go, I know that, but this guy completely underestimated the whole thing, landing halfway between the first two jumps in a nose wheel attitude and crumpling into the face of the second one. You could hear him go splat from 20m back. He limps back asking if I can straighten the fork/bars and fix his brake, fine, at which point I notice he has only 1 nut on the front axle. Yeah I know was his response.
Haha yeah seen that before, they think that they need lots of speed.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Geez they've been killed in only a few years then. They still have some height (esp if you're a little tacker) but the shape has changed completely compared to the vid, they're all rounded tabletops now with no auto-qualifier skill required like some jumps have (which I think is not a bad thing to keep the masses off them).

We'll see, early days. But given a pump track/kiddy track turned up without warning, and a fairly decent effort at that, so I'm hopeful.
I have a small rule when dead shit clueless morons rock up...move on so I don't have to provide first aid and emergency mechanics.