Fixing up council owned jumps

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a council owned 4 pack I visit occasionally (part of a bmx facilities thing), from what I can tell/have observerd zero maintenance goes into them, kids ride up them on skateboards, rain fcks them, so now only 2 of the 4 are worth anything, but overall rhythm is fcked.

What's the go with giving jumps a bit of love, reshaping the ramp & lip, I mean on ones that aren't yours, and in particular ones owned/run/accountable to the Council?

Should I call it in and let council take 12mths to fix it (or bulldoze it cos its safer/easier) or less talk & more action? i.e. easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I would be happy to give it a shot one afternoon, but I've only seen a few vids on DJ repairs so would be at risk of adding another COTFW entry. What say you?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just do it...have a plan, look like you're meant to be there, wear hi-vis, put out some safety cones, put some tools on show (wheelbarrow, shovel, rake etc) and keep the work safe for all users...it's when you look like some hoon getting reckless that people complain. If anybody asks be vague but clear that you're meamt to be there.

"aaaaahhhhh maaaaayyyyyte you know how it is with these things. The council values community and sport and youth, but stuff like this is such a small part of the works roster. You know with roads, car parks, all the mowing and big parks...well this stuff just.keeps getting bumped. Anyway the calls have been stacking up asking for it to be fixed, so here I am. Hopefully be good for the kids by the weekend."

Wear a big hat and sunnies too, so people can't get a good look at you. Oh and keep it council - work:bludge ratio! Probably get 30 mates along as well. Look really legit. Try not to look like a bike rider.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Lol. Don't pose as a council worker. Other than that, sounds like good advice. Look like you're supposed to be there.

redbruce

Eats Squid
There's a council owned 4 pack I visit occasionally (part of a bmx facilities thing), from what I can tell/have observerd zero maintenance goes into them, kids ride up them on skateboards, rain fcks them, so now only 2 of the 4 are worth anything, but overall rhythm is fcked.

What's the go with giving jumps a bit of love, reshaping the ramp & lip, I mean on ones that aren't yours, and in particular ones owned/run/accountable to the Council?

Should I call it in and let council take 12mths to fix it (or bulldoze it cos its safer/easier) or less talk & more action? i.e. easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I would be happy to give it a shot one afternoon, but I've only seen a few vids on DJ repairs so would be at risk of adding another COTFW entry. What say you?
I've worked with local Council to maintain and develop the local BMX racing facility as well as local MTB. and suggest a different approach to others on the thread.

You could just try to work with the owner and legally responsible entity. Find out who the original builder was and offer to help.

Your concern over bulldozing will in fact be more likely if unauthorized and (by your education limited to Vids) lack of skill, is evident in your work.

Are Councils risk adverse, they are, because in the end accountable (unlike you unless caught). Is that a justification in and of itself, no.

Understand their position, work with the system (frustrating as that will inevitably be) and increase the probability of success.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ you'll be a Redgrandpa too by the time something comes of working with the council. The chances of anybody at council knowing the state of the jumps is pretty low (it's likely barely anyone even knows they exist!), so keep it simple, safe, neat, and probably what it was originally and you'll probably be fine. Once you have them in reasonable order, then hit the council up. The minute you raise it to their attention someone will start watching...

You're biggest issue with undercover work like this is going to be getting material. You can't just rip a big hole in the footy field and hope nobody notices. Drag down a shit load of pallets and old tyres...better still asbestos! You put a pile of asbestos down and nobody will move it for years if the bush around here is anything to go by. Seriously though, you will need a source of dirt. If you have that sorted, just focus on packing the faces. Get the jumps rideable and hit council up about them. Then rally support from all those mums and dads and other users. Once the council are won over get some local boys to make regular extensive alterations. You'll be on side with council and it's your job to convince them that you can get these rapscallions to cease...provided you can build some more suitable jumps. And so it grows.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll make a few inquiries tomorrow and question the process to gauge their response. Just to hedge my bets I'll decoy another council bmx facility location I went to where I had to ride around for a few mins to find them, only to realise I'd already ridden over them, now flattened mounds with a deep rut through the middle.

The jumps aren't too bad but the lip and face need work, I think it's doable I just need to pick the timing & gather the equipment as I don't have a barrow or witches hats. PP you mention the dirt, I was thinking yeah good point, but from memory there's a bit around in the nearby bushes and boundary line to adjoining field less than 50m away without having to dig up the carpark beside it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen blokes add some small logs on the lips and cover them with dirt to build the height up, another tip is to go there during the week around the middle of the day when there is less likely to be people around.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've seen blokes add some small logs on the lips and cover them with dirt to build the height up, another tip is to go there during the week around the middle of the day when there is less likely to be people around.
Definitely do business hours, it's your best chance of people assuming you are meant to be doing the job! Just like showing your mum 6 of the beers you and your mates are going to share at the party...while your mate carries all the other supplies.

Putting logs, rocks, concrete, bricks, dog shit, etc in the jump to add body can work for bulking up the base. But you need to cover it in a lot of dirt to keep a nice shape. Also the dirt will erode away and expose your cheating ways. If you're starting from scratch, no worries. But in this instance I wouldn't recommend.

As for digging in the bush..that could get risky. Depending how dense it al is you're inviting people to discover where the fresh face on your jump came from. Which will potentially blow the cover. For some reason old men walking their little dogs at the crack of dawn love to get angry about holes...trust me. If your going to do it, go deep...and dig up the dirt at midnight without a light (full moon for the win). Put it in a pile...then collect it with your wheelbarrow when you need it. Remember a real council worker or contractor would've dropped a tray load of dirt off to do the job with.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Putting logs, rocks, concrete, bricks, dog shit, etc in the jump to add body can work for bulking up the base. But you need to cover it in a lot of dirt to keep a nice shape. Also the dirt will erode away and expose your cheating ways. If you're starting from scratch, no worries. But in this instance I wouldn't recommend.
Second what PP says. I've used rocks and logs to form the base for downhill jumps but I wouldn't do it for dirt jumps, you want clean dirt that can be shaped easily.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
If the place is actually quite busy, don't bring in new dirt. You're better off starting small, like smoothing out ruts. It will look more like you should be there, especially as a one man crew. And it's not really something you can get wrong. And if anyone with small kids asks what you're doing, the truth is simple.

I live near the Sydney 4x track which had been claimed by the Western Sydney Mtb Club. They have done exactly zero work on it for about 5 years. So myself, husband, and a few friends fixed it up for years. We actually tried to get the Olympic Park involved but they pretty much wanted nothing to do with it. (A resurface did happen but it was a massive fuster cluck and so poorly done it's not funny). We never encountered a problem from people riding while we were working mostly because explaining why we were there and what we were doing helped educate people about the work those kinds of places need. They never thought we shouldn't be doing work. It was always on the weekend and very busy. Being polite goes a long way.

We've also never tried to make it something it's not. Yeah the whole fuck the system is a cool idea, but be realistic. Take photos of the damage before you do anything too.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah yep, found one. Ramp is 15-20m to the right with gentle uphill towards it, all gravel around it. Issue is mainly the first one though this pic is 6-7mths old and they are all worse off now.

First one is prob hard to make out but it's a bit 'how you doing' and has no shape or pop like the ones after. To get the speed required for good rhythm on 2-4 the first one launches me low, almost landing to flat, and if I go in with a lower speed and try to pop more I've got no speed to make a fair go of 2-4. Of course that could be my technique.

TBH sounds like it's more of a touch up vs fix up. Don't think there's space in the lip for logs etc. but does make me wonder why dont jumps use some sort of coping like a skate ramp to keep the lip intact?

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks typical of council (or similar authority) jumps - a good Idea, but no ongoing management plan. Once every 8 year old on town learns how good it is to skid down...there are similar jumps at umina beach.

It will be a loosing battle. But perhaps your best option for easy jumps. Fix them up as best you can and then start the process of council acknowledging they need ongoing maintenance. Offer to form a group of like minded citizens to manage the jumps in accordance with council's standards etc. Ask them to supply dirt/clay as needed. There is a thread on here somewhere about working with councils to get stuff approved. It will contain some useful info. But fix first, so they can be used!

And never admit to anyone that it was you who fixed them.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Councils need to learn to use asphalt on jumps and the like. Dirt is cool and all, but it requires a committed crew of people to look after it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Councils need to learn to use asphalt on jumps and the like. Dirt is cool and all, but it requires a committed crew of people to look after it.
I wouldn't complain about well shaped concrete either...they use plenty of it for skate parks.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know those jumps. The council must be doing something because they stuck in the pump track just next to it only quite recently.

But yeah the actual jumps are fucked.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FR - perhaps. I'll just ask council as it's out now.

The pump track is/was a good idea, but IMO way too small/tight for the speed you want to be doing it at & you wash the front constantly which scrubs the speed, so the thing is self limiting, but suits the youngins I guess.

Some pretty strange people at the DJs, randoms, druggies pretending to do other sh1t so they can approach kids, some rascals, but mostly kids and their parents...who are my age, ha ha suckers!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

The pump track is/was a good idea, but IMO way too small/tight for the speed you want to be doing it at & you wash the front constantly which scrubs the speed, so the thing is self limiting, but suits the youngins I guess.

Some pretty strange people at the DJs, randoms, druggies pretending to do other sh1t so they can approach kids, some rascals, but mostly kids and their parents...who are my age, ha ha suckers!
Scum bags...best way to keep the low life away is a regular crowd of people that aren't low lifes. Though it can also bring trouble..."what you looking at cunt?" wears.a bit thin after a while, and it is difficult to come up with fresh replies every time.

Stick with the plan..meddle with the jumps, then talk to council. Hopefully get the pump track resurfaced too. With concrete or asphalt.

Lead the charge...build nice big community out it and show the council more is needed.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Have a look at the video on youtube of them in 2008, they look well and truly eroded now.